MD Help With Schools List. MCAT: 515, cGPA 3.78, sGPA 3.80

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zerf223

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
S

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Only 66/240 people with a 3.6+/33+ were accepted to your state school last year. Only 22/103 for 3.6+/36+. With only 12% of people in Washington matriculating IS, it's as competitive as any state in the counry. So yes it would be wise to include a number "target" type schools such as Tufts with an MCAT median roughly around 33 that get <11k apps and are OOS friendly. I think trying to get 8-10 "targets" even though you're a good applicant is a good call.

http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/faqs/gpa-and-mcat

Pay attention to what happens at Washington St and if they can get accredited in time to start next fall. If they do, there's a school to target where your odds will be best.

Last edited:
Stats & Info:
cGPA: 3.78 (upward trend from 3.55 to 3.95)
sGPA: 3.80
MCAT: 515 (126/129/130/130)

WA Resident
Student at a "top ten" undergraduate school
Asian Male, Gay

Work & Experience:
350 hours of hospital volunteering
200 hours of non-profit organization volunteering (health-related)
900 hours of chemistry research
350 hours of chemistry TAing and tutoring
600 hours as president of a cappella group
200 hours of shadowing

School List:
Baylor College of Medicine
Boston Univeristy
Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Emory University
Georgetown University
Harvard University
Johns Hopkins University
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern University
New York University
Oregon Health and Science University
Stanford University
Tufts University
University of Chicago
University of Michigan-- Ann Arbor
University of Pennsylvania
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UNC Chapel Hill
USC
UVA
University of Washington
Vanderbilt University
Washington University in St. Louis
Yale University

I am aware that my list is pretty top heavy, I was expecting a higher MCAT score. Any constructive feedback regarding my list is extremely appreciated, especially with making my list more balanced.

If I were you, I would take out Yale, Columbia, WashU, Duke, UChicago, and definitely UPenn. Your MCAT is in their ~20th %ile (10%ile for UPenn).

I'd add more schools that aren't 'top 25'. You're a good candidate and everything, but (at least) 50% of schools you should be applying to are ones where your MCAT score (i.e. 34 on old exam) is at or above the median.