help with secondary questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akim0414

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys!
i am sure that all of you are working on secondaries like myself. i was hoping to get some help from some of you out there!! it seems that two of the main questions that most secondaries have are :
1) why are you interested in school-X?
2) how do you see yourself and your career in ten years time?
is there any advice on what to write - on what schools want to hear and what they don't want to hear?!?!?
any advice at all will be greatfully appreciated! thanks and good luck to all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd suggest to do your research on the schools you're applying to and then be honest (granted, not brutally honest). :smuggrin:

I am already in med school, but I searched the school's websites for the first question and I answered the second question in general terms...in other words, I didn't get into details about which specialty, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
(1) research the school and mention specifics on what you like about the school
(2) this one is personal. if you can't answer this one on your own, then you shouldn't go into medicine.

Specific research on the school is great, but just regurgitating the school's strengths is not going to be enough. They know what they're good at. They want to know why YOU would be good there. So be sure to tie they're strengths into why that's important to you. Interested in WWAMI because of it's rural-based programs? Talk about how you did volunteer work in rural communities. Interested in Yale's research strengths? Explain what research you've done and what interests you about the specific faculty there.

Also check out our advice on writing secondary essays, it's free and hopefully you'll find it helpful.

Good luck!