1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Help with stethoscope for present for girlfriend.

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by mtnbke, Nov 2, 2001.

1. mtnbke

mtnbke Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would like to buy a Littman stethoscope as a present for my girlfriend. Is the model of stethoscope determined by the school/faculty? Do students just buy whatever they want?

I was probably going to get her the Littman Cardiology III instead of the Master Cardiology because it has a "small" side too, while the Master only has the one side. I figured that she might see some "small" patients as she learns how to be a doc.

Any comments or suggestions would be more than welcome because obviously I don't know what the hell I'm doing. :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mtnbke

mtnbke Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Okay - I figured out that the Cardio III is better for students due to the "pedi" side.

Next question, is anyone buying the new Littman electronic stethoscopes?

Would my girlfriend look like just a big dork with one of these?

4. melancholy

melancholy 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wow.. an electronic stethoscope! Is that really necessary? I think some doctors use even less expensive/elaborate models than the Littmann III although that is what I went with due to a lot of recommendations. Unless you think your gf wants the newest in technology and/or have more cash to burn, heh.. I think I'd just go with the Littmann III. Of course, might want to ask someone who has had more clinical experience than me. :p

5. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think you're correct in thinking that a Cardiology III is a good model. Definitely don't want to get the master cardiology or the electronic kind -- they are "too advanced" for beginners (so I was told) and will have too many sounds - sounds that we do not have a trained ear to distingiush yet (at the beginning of med school). I looked in to the different Littman and Welch Allyn models at the beginning of school. I ended up getting the Harvey DLX Double Head stethoscope, but if I had bought a Littman, it would have been a cardiology III. I listened to heart sounds on the Master Cardiology, the Cardiology III and some of the less expensive models - I liked the cardiology III the most of the ones Littman makes. So, bottom line is that you've picked a good model for her and she's really lucky that you've gone to this much trouble to research it for her. Also, the faculty/school does not set requirements for medical equipment (at least not at my school). One last thing, if you haven't already, check out estethoscope.com and comparable web companies to find good deals. Hope this is helpful. Take care,

Becky

6. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

Purchase the littman III, it's a really good stethescope. You should get it in a color other then black though, so she won't get it confused as easily with other student's. Definitely don't buy the electronic one, she will be made fun of by the attendings if she has that one.

7. Lt. Ub

Lt. Ub Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

NO ELECTRONICS!!!

The Cardiology III is an excellent choice.

8. doughboy

doughboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have the master cardiology. Most of the students in my class have that one or the litman III. Both are really good stethoscopes. Even though the master has only one side, you get the diaphragm and bell in that one side depending on how much pressure you apply. It might make it easier than the litmann III because you don't have to switch over to the bell and than the diaphragm everytime you listen. About listening to different heart sounds...I wouldn't worry about trying to decipher the details...you'll get that with practice, experience, and unless you're going to go into cardiology it the specifics are not as important. I didn't have a problem using my master on the peds patients. Their hearts beat so rapidly that it makes it difficult no matter what size stethoscope you have.

9. Chadleez1

Chadleez1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A little off topic, but along the same lines. Would you recommend a med student buy an opthalmoscope? Hope I spelled that right. Would you just stick with the stethescope, or anything else? Thanks!

10. dwstranger

dwstranger Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Chadleez-

Depends on your school -- they'll tell you if you need to buy a Diagnostic Kit or not. That's the ophthalmoscope and the otoscope. And my impression is that most places require their students to get them.

11. doughboy

doughboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I bought the diagnostic kit my first year and to be honest I have not used it very much. Its good to have if you want to practice on your own with your friends but as for using it in the clinical rotations I didn't find it a necessity. That's because most of the sites I was at had a oto/opthoscope for me to use. I would still recommend getting the kit but if you are really tight on cash I would opt to hold on it and maybe borrow a friend's when they are not using it.

12. Elvis25

Elvis25 Member
    7+ Year Member

Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth on the stethoscope and diagnostic kit. First, I have both a Littman Card. III, and a Harvey/Tycos Card. Elite. Personally, I prefer the Elite by a landslide. Personal preference, I assume; though it does seem to be a favorite amonst our staff. As far as the diagnostic kit goes, I spent a few hundred bucks on one. I think I've taken it out of my bag about 4 times in 3 years. Even those times, it was only to check out my brother's kids! If you are going to buy one though, definately buy the pocket size. The full size kit is just too much of a pain to carry around. If I had it to do over, I'd buy a pocket otoscope and call it good. As far as a website goes, I buy all of my equipment at Steeles.com. It's a mom-and-pop shop that has the best prices around, and has great student discounts. You can't go wrong with them.

13. CardiacGuy

CardiacGuy Member
    7+ Year Member

Go for the Cardiac III- Just as good as anything else out there for the student and not as expensive as some others.

14. Lee

Lee Sleestack
    Staff Member Administrator 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    For what it's worth, I use the HP Rappaport Sprague stethoscope. I've had it since 1993 and it still works great. The best part about this scope is nobody will steal it because it looks like a crappy $20 nurse scope. I've forgotten this thing at nurses stations many times, and it's always still there when I go back for it.

Although I did buy the pocket Welch Allyn optho and otoscopes (the smaller ones that use the AA batteries) in 1993 -- I didn't use them much until I started doing house-calls and nursing home visits (seven years later). But they work great!

15. jdaasbo

jdaasbo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Harvey DLX triple head. Best one made. You look like a big dork carrying it, but i swear i hear stuff with it that I otherwise wouldn't. Big plus is that no one will steal it either because you can spot it a mile off.