Help with university choices (too many?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handsome88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
sounds like a good list to me...

pritzker and northwestern may be out of your reach but if you've got the money, why not?

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like a good list to me...

pritzker and northwestern may be out of your reach but if you've got the money, why not?

Thanx CUSEguy88! I may remove pritzker (do you have an idea whats their avg. accepted GPA?), but I know northwestern accepts Canadian applicants that's why I included it.

Last edited:
You might wanna take out some of the cali schools, because I know they mostly only take in state students. Also Loma linda is super religious, dunno if you're into that. You could take some reaches off like columbia, northwestern, nyu, unless your mcat score and ECs are really good

You might wanna take out some of the cali schools, because I know they mostly only take in state students. Also Loma linda is super religious, dunno if you're into that. You could take some reaches off like columbia, northwestern, nyu, unless your mcat score and ECs are really good

Loma Linda is super religious...as in catholic religious? I'm Muslim, so do you think I should just take that out?

Probably, I dont know first hand, but they make you attend church, pray, never have sex, drink, or do anything else thats awesome. Pretty serious stuff religious-wise

Probably, I dont know first hand, but they make you attend church, pray, never have sex, drink, or do anything else thats awesome. Pretty serious stuff religious-wise

Haha I see.

By the way, do you know how many secondaries I would have to fill out with this list? Do ALL schools require a secondary applications?

Yes, they all do. Some dont have essays, but most do. I would try to get the list down to around 20 because it sucks with all the money and the writing about how diverse you are.

Loma Linda is super religious...as in catholic religious? I'm Muslim, so do you think I should just take that out?

They're Seventh-Day Adventist. I think you should look strongly at exactly what they require religiously of their students; they accept plenty of non 7DA students every year. It still might not be for you, but I'd still get some more detailed information than "serious stuff religious-wise."

Yes, pretty much every school has a secondary.

Ok so the list is now down to 28 universities, I'd like to take out another 3 universities. Any ideas?

Hey you'd be applying next summer right?

Take a look at the school's websites because I believe that some of those you listed do take Canadians but only Canadians that attended university in the U.S. So if you went to school in Canada, I believe that Tulane, Creighton and Drexel won't consider you.
If someone didn't already suggest this, take off Hawaii unless you are from there or have ties to there.
Meharry takes predominately African Americans I believe, but I could be completely wrong on that one.
Some of those schools require a letter from a non-science professor. Sorry if you already knew that, but I am just mentioning this because I was surprised to find this out.

Hey you'd be applying next summer right?

Take a look at the school's websites because I believe that some of those you listed do take Canadians but only Canadians that attended university in the U.S. So if you went to school in Canada, I believe that Tulane, Creighton and Drexel won't consider you.
If someone didn't already suggest this, take off Hawaii unless you are from there or have ties to there.
Meharry takes predominately African Americans I believe, but I could be completely wrong on that one.
Some of those schools require a letter from a non-science professor. Sorry if you already knew that, but I am just mentioning this because I was surprised to find this out.

No I'm applying this summer (I know I'm a little late).
I removed Meharry.
Do you know which schools from my list require a letter from a non-science prof.?

Agree about Hawaii and Meharry.

I don't understand why Hawaii is a bad choice, I got this right from their website:

JABSOM does accept nonresident (which may include international students). Out of an entering class of 62, approximately 10% (6) may be nonresidents. International students are recommended to have completed their science prerequisites in the United States or Canada.

Also the same with creighton:

Creighton University School of Medicine welcomes applications from International Students who wish to study medicine.
In order to qualify for admissions into the School of Medicine students are required to complete their premedical course requirements at an accredited institution located within the United States or Canada. Preference is given to applicants who have completed a baccalaureate degree at a United States or Canadian institution.

Last edited:
Jefferson says they require 1 letter from each of a Bio, Chem, Physics, English and humanities professor. I think they a bit flexible about this requirement, ie. if you didn't have a letter from one of those letters.

I know that AECOM, BU, GW, G-Town, VCU, Case, Emory, RFU, Columbia do NOT require a non-science letter. I don't know 100% for sure about the others because I didn't end up applying there.

Sorry I was wrong about Creighton then. Apply there then! Oh they require a non-science letter.

I think that even the non-residents who apply to Hawaii have ties there. The reason I said to drop the school from your list was because of how few non-residents they take. I was just thinking that you would get greater value for your secondary fee somewhere else, if you needed to decrease your school list.

I think that even the non-residents who apply to Hawaii have ties there. The reason I said to drop the school from your list was because of how few non-residents they take. I was just thinking that you would get greater value for your secondary fee somewhere else, if you needed to decrease your school list.

Yeah, this is what I've heard as well. Many of the "non-residents" Hawaii takes were born there or have family there or something. Like other state schools, they have a mandate to train people who will stay and practice there, which is a particular challenge since it's an island. And 6 people a year is not very much!

The rest of your list looks pretty good. If you're looking to drop another Columbia P&S is a serious stretch based on your stats.