help: would u rank nyu/meeth over baylor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AThousandCranes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i cant decide - take out location, i'd be happy in either.

based on program, would you rank nyu/meeth over baylor OR vice versa and why?

any opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

baylor. i didnt interview at either but just based on waht ive heard...

Would rank Baylor over NYU unless you have a specific geographic preference for Manhattan/NY. I've known people from both programs. NYU is a fine program, but I think training (surgical and clinical)/reputation-wise Baylor is better.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about baylor in comparison to the various UCs?

i believe baylor is supposed to be far better than nyu. rank baylor higher, unless you prefer quite significantly prefer nyc to houston for personal reasons.

as far as the 'UCs" do you mean california schools? i believe jules stein at ucla is a top program (up there with wilmer, wills, etc), usc-doheny is also a good program (slightly better than baylor in reputation and people seem to love it), ucsf is also reputable though not usually considered among the top 5-6 programs in the country. all 3 of these california school sare likely more reputable than nyu, though among the 3, i think only ucla a no-brainer improvement over baylor with regard to reputation. the other california programs (uc-davis, uc-san diego, irvine, stanford) are likely not as reputable as baylor.

that being said, obviously reputation is not the only thing that matters. there are other factors, but the importance of these factors (location, training style, surgical volume, etc) are based on personal preferences and their relative importance differs from person to person, so i did not bother to discuss these aspects in detail. i'm sure u know from interviewing what the call schedule, volume, etc is like.

I'm just curious... How is UT-Southwestern compared to Baylor? I've heard UTSW is a strong program, but don't know too much about it otherwise. Anyone care to comment?

I'm just curious... How is UT-Southwestern compared to Baylor? I've heard UTSW is a strong program, but don't know too much about it otherwise. Anyone care to comment?

You will NOT go wrong with either. Both are outstanding programs! A co-intern of mine here interviewed at both but ranked UT-SW higher (and matched there), so that's the only direct comparison I can give you.