help writing letter of interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbujaMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ive been placed on a preinterview hold at two schools that im really interested in. I know that january is pretty much my last chance to expect an interview and figured i had nothing to lose if i wrote a letter of interest to them.

Im not exactly sure how to write it without sounding too generic. I dont have any crazy story to tell them but i was hoping that just by writing them the letter shows them im still interested and maybe that could weigh in my favor?

I was thinking of first updating with my grades and next semester plans, then the usual why i like their school and why they should take me.

Any ideas?

also, is it true that i really have nothing to lose in writing this or do some schools look down on it(i know some ignore it completely)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you have nothing to lose, although I think far more schools would take a letter of intent into consideration, so I would consider writing one interest & one intent, if you feel it is appropriate

(but I don't know if its too early in the year for that stuff or what...)

so i'm working on an LOI for one of my top choices as well... I have no clue how to end it though. any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Write eloquently about the impression the school, its students, the faculty, etc made on you and why you really think the school would be a great fit for you. If it is your top choice, say so. Speak of specific experiences you had while visiting the school, or some specific aspect of the school. This will make the letter less generic.

Write eloquently about the impression the school, its students, the faculty, etc made on you and why you really think the school would be a great fit for you. If it is your top choice, say so. Speak of specific experiences you had while visiting the school, or some specific aspect of the school. This will make the letter less generic.

Definitely. Make it as specific as possible.

I'd probably treat it like another secondary for "why our school?" including information that you didn't include in your actual secondary.

okay, so something is a letter of INTENT if i say i will go there no matter what, right? what if i just tell a school it is my top choice, is that considered binding at all like a letter of intent? i have two schools tied for top choice, can i tell them both that they are my first choice :)

Last edited:
okay, so something is a letter of INTENT if i say i will go there no matter what, right? what if i just tell a school it is my top choice, is that considered binding at all like a letter of intent? i have two schools tied for top choice, can i tell them both that they are my first choice :)

You need to figure out which one is your top choice before you write a letter of intent. You could also write a letter of interest indicating your specific interest in the school which I believe is more what you are looking for.

Don't commit to two schools simultaneously, that could come back to bite you.

nothing is binding

if you are pre-interview then there's really no harm in telling two schools that they are your first choice because the odds of getting an interview at either given that you haven't gotten one already are very slim. If this was post-interview i would tell you to be MUCH more careful about what you say.

nothing is binding

if you are pre-interview then there's really no harm in telling two schools that they are your first choice because the odds of getting an interview at either given that you haven't gotten one already are very slim. If this was post-interview i would tell you to be MUCH more careful about what you say.

Why's that? Stating in a letter you would go to a school for sure isn't really binding at all... Of course it's pretty obnoxious if they're not really your top choice and you're just trying to accumulate acceptances, but the school can't really do anything to you, right?

Btw, I'm not planning on writing letters of intent or anything I'm just asking out of pure interest. Don't want to get yelled at for being the ahole applicant everyone hates! :p

Just an idea: a good way to end a letter of interest is with a suggestion for future correspondence, perhaps?

For example, "Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I hope to hear from you soon." or "I appreciate your time. I plan on visiting the school before the end of the month to discover more about your school." or "I will keep in touch with your office and contact you if I have any questions about your program." etc...

Also, in addition to talking about "the impression the school, its students, the faculty" you may also want to mention the school's curriculum, location, mission statement, ranking, special programs (MD/MPH or MD/JD, etc), international opportunities, residency match rates, recommendations from specific people, history of the school (i.e. Boston University used to be a women's university), etc. I can go on and on. There are a plethora of topics to mention in a letter of interest.