1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Help.

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by baseballfan46, Oct 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. baseballfan46

I am in need of assistance, recently got my scores back and they are relatively low. I am planning to retake next year in April. Besides Kaplan 7-series book set, AAMC material, and Khan Academy videos, and UWorld can anyone else recommend study material for practice? A sub-500 score obviously means I am lacking in some content so I plan to thoroughly take notes on the Kaplan series.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sfgiants94

Pre-Medical
    I may have been in the same boat as you. 498 my first time, 510 the second. I used Kaplan 7-book series both times. Second time around I did Kaplan again, used exam crackers for the physics, though (less details than Kaplan, which goes overboard I felt).

In addition, doing full-length practice tests is really what helped me improve. Do them just like a real test (go somewhere else besides your living room or where you typically study and take it like a library or a Starbucks if you're looking for a real challenge).

Review every question, every answer choice, why 3 of them are wrong and why the correct one is right; this will take a bunch of time but helps you understand how the questions are written and how answers are written. Even with a question you can get to a 50/50 you all of a sudden have an edge I notice. This was especially helpful for Bio/Biochem I felt, and the passage based questions.

After my first practice test (I think exam Krackers 1 - 502) I jumped to like a 507 on AAMC 1 just one week later by going though the test slowly, reading topics I didn't know in Kaplan or watchinig Khan videos on them. I was horrible at CARS (122 first time) but scored a not-so-horrible 126 second time just using Khan Academy and reading boring things daily.

UW I liked a lot but didn't find it until like 10 days before test date so I didn't get too much time with it but it think it is very helpful. I made flash cards of everything on there, especially Psych/Soc sections (their explanations are A+ in my opinion).

TLDR; Kaplan, EK for physics, take at least 8 full lengths (the most recent 3 need to be within a point or two of what you want to get on the real deal). UW was good for quick little section tests and I would make flash cards on their explanations because I really liked them. The more questions, even Qbanks, the better, just make sure you dissect every question you do.

Last thing, it is not a race, don't take your test on date A because you want to apply this coming cycle. It is better to really take your time and be thorough, especially your second time through - it's do or die at this point. Make sure you're prepared and confident going in. Don't leave this one up to chance.

Shotapp and baseballfan46 like this.
  4. northwestmedic

do as many questions as you can INSTEAD of lots of content review.

i recently wrote the exam and i learnt what i didn't know/understand from the test itself. not a good feeling (although i was missing a couple of pre-req's and pretty old on the others)... questions would have really helped

baseballfan46 likes this.
  5. baseballfan46

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain a solid plan, definitely wont make the mistake of rushing into an exam if I dont feel ready.

sfgiants94 likes this.
  6. sfgiants94

Pre-Medical
    Feel free to PM me if you have more questions since it does sound like we were in similar circumstances... I've never PMed anyone before and never have been PMed so I may miss it just let me know here and then I know to look for it.

7. PapaGuava

PapaGuava SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I agree with those who posted above, after you have a solid foundation of the content, it is more just practice and practice. I spent too much time on content review and I felt it lowered my score.

8. davuat38

MDApps:
    MDApps:

You can use PR as a supplement.

9. tetsuya

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    It is a good combination of Kaplan 7-series book set, AAMC material,Khan Academy videos, UWorld and Princeton for practice test.

10. baseballfan46

PM SENT

sfgiants94 likes this.
  11. Hi_I'mPaul

All Kaplan books (or whoever your preferred book-maker is), All Khan Academy Videos, All AAMC materials, and around 6 Next Step exams. That is all you need. If you need more sources of content than this to study for the exam, you're not doing it efficiently or effectively! I'd recommend (for say, a 5-month study plan) to go hardcore content review for the first 2-3 months then spend the next 2-3 months with hardcore practicing. During the practicing, constantly review high-yield topics and the stuff you got wrong. Obviously, the content review and the practice shouldn't be mutually exclusive... just the priority during that timeframe. Good luck! ~

12. SteyrFWB

2+ Year Member

If your goal is 512, that should be achieved with just what you have.

Don't worry content review. Just use UWorld for your content review. Do it 2x.

Last 1 month, read Khan P/S note 300 pages version (not the 100 pages truncated version)

Do just AAMC question pack, then section bank, then FL.

Do Khan Biology and Khan P/S.

Don't worry about too much about what material to use.

Had Next Step One-to-one tutors and tons of materials, first time 507
    Second time, kept it really simple with above regimen, 514

Just got my first med school acceptance this week.

Don't over think. What you have is plenty good.

13. baseballfan46

Appreciate the response, I have been reading the kaplan books, then reinforcing the chapter materials with anki, After content I am going to hit practice problems hard, I will do the uworld x2 as suggested along with next step practice exams before utilizing AAMC material about a month away from my test date. I have also been implementing Jack Westin Cars passages daily to enhance that section.