HELP!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stayce055

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior in college suddenly dedicated to medicine after a life changing experience. Problem is, up until now, my grades have been less than satisfactory (2.8 GPA). I do have 7 years health care experience and a new found love of medicine, but feel that my previous 2 years of college will prevent me from being accepted into ANY medical school. I am now taking the required classes and doing very well, but realize that I will not be able to magically change my GPA from it's pathetic level to a perfect 4.0. Do I stand a chance? Or is there a program out there that will consider my most recent performance or efforts over my "numerically challenged" GPA? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, or suggestions for schools that may look past it. I feel that I have great potential and would be the most wonderful, caring physician, and do not want my past few years with no direction to ruin my chances of following my dreams. Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Stayce055,

What exactly do you want to do, medicine or dentistry? I saw your post on the pre-dds message board of SDN: http://www.studentdoctor.net/bbs/Forum9/HTML/000315.html
Do you love medicine or do you love dentistry? They are two completely different disciplines with different demands and expectations.

As I mentioned in the DDS message, I would be looking at special needs dentistry. Another route to something very similar, would be the medical aspect of working with special needs individuals. I love both fields and have worked with a dentist, oralmaxillo-surgeon, family practice physician, and several physician's assistants. I could go several directions with what I would like to with my life, and I feel very blessed to have so many opportunities to work for. But I do need to consider both routes to what I would like to do, since both are so competitive. I sincerely apologize if the postings came across wrong as I meant no harm, simply found two very different forums for a wide range of support.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I'd apply to dental school, get in and do well, go into an OMS res program with an MD track, and end up with the best of both worlds. Should you continue to do well in school, your grades should be up to par for dental school admissions by the time you apply, and if you continue your success in dental school, then you can get into a top-notch OMS program.

Your best chance will be to do extremely well on the classes you are currently taking. Do extremely well on the MCAT. And, apply to many medical schools and osteopathic medical school. Your instate schools are your best bet, unless you live in California. You could also take the DAT and apply to dental school the same year. Make sure in your essays to explain how you have happened to do better in school recently. After that you just have to hope.

good luck

------------------
Rob
http://views.vcu.edu/medimf/rob/greatpumpkin.shtml

I've posted this a bunch of times, but I had a pretty crappy GPA my freshman year of college, but it went up a lot the following years, especially the last two. GreatPumpkin gave you very sound advice that I agree with -- do well from here on out (they will look favorably on big strides in improvement), do very well on the MCAT, keep up the health care experience and/or volunteering. If you can manage all those things, you should have a good shot at med school. Good luck.