help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subzero0174

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any feelings about the Kaplan MCAT prep course. I am going to take the MCAT April 2006, and and wondering if it is worth it to take the course during my senior year second semester. Would I be better off just buying the standard book and studying on my own time? Also, I have a friend who got a 28M and has a 3.9 GPA. Also has some OR volunteer work etc. What do you guys think his chances are of getting into Boston U or Brown. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think the med school admissions process requires a lot of money and you'd be better off studying on your own than taking the Kaplan course. You could pay for a couple of interviews with the amount you would spend on Kaplan. I downloaded the outline of topics covered by the MCAT, studied them using my old textbooks, and bought the online practice tests and took 3 of them. I was fairly satisfied with my score, and I did better than the two girls in my biochem class who told me I was stupid for not taking Kaplan with them, even though they knew I couldn't possibly afford it. MCAT info

i went into the process with the idea that if i only had to take the mcat once and got into the medschool i wanted to get into on the first try that the $ i'd spend on kaplan would be worth it. with that said, i took kaplan and, while i probably could have done as well on the mcat if i'd studied as much on my own, i feel pretty sure that the kaplan class forced me to study more than i would've otherwise. it also helped focus my studying on things that were actually going to be on the test. so yeah, if you think kaplan will help you, take it and don't worry about the $. the cost of kaplan won't seem like that much once you're taking out tuition loans ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Darth Asclepius said:
I think the med school admissions process requires a lot of money and you'd be better off studying on your own than taking the Kaplan course.

i disagree completely. as important as the MCAT is in determining whether you go to med school, i think taking kaplan to up your chances is a great idea (assuming you can afford it). kaplan's resources are incredible and you will definitely be prepared for the real thing come april if you take advantage of their exams/materials/etc.

suffice it to say that my bf and i both took the class, improved our "diagnostic" scores significantly, and both got into our school of choice.

good luck!!! (and take kaplan). :)

subzero0174 said:
Anybody have any feelings about the Kaplan MCAT prep course. I am going to take the MCAT April 2006, and and wondering if it is worth it to take the course during my senior year second semester. Would I be better off just buying the standard book and studying on my own time? Also, I have a friend who got a 28M and has a 3.9 GPA. Also has some OR volunteer work etc. What do you guys think his chances are of getting into Boston U or Brown. Thanks

i took kaplan last year (my junior yr) and think it definitely helped me get a good score. i particularly liked the structure cuz for me, i know i would not have timed myself and given myself practice tests or forced myself to study on the wkends. but thats just me. i say if you can afford it, take kaplan. or at least take some sort of prep course that gives timed, chaperoned practice tests cuz thats actually what the most useful part was for me. AND kaplan gives these excellent flashcards which were invaluable.

clarissa

subzero0174 said:
his chances are of getting into Boston U or Brown. Thanks

ummm maybe u know this already. but brown has some special requirements or soemthing. like u have to be a brown undergrad student or maybe they take very very few non-brown undergrads. i dont remember, but theres something special - mite wanna check that out.

clarissa