FungManX

The Cure.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hi, I'm currently living with my 80 year old grandmother right now and in the last couple days she hasn't been able to sleep due to back pains.. she says her back muscles are tensing up and it hurts to lie down

I don't know if this is a pointless question .. but do you guys think it could be anything else other than 'old age' ?
Should we actually see a physician instead of just giving her a couple tablets of tylenol?

Thanks

Furrball

Faking sincerity daily
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Pacific NW
Status
None of us know her medical history so we really can't say. However pain is treatable. It is new pain. Why should she suffer if she does not need to? If the pain is really interfering with her sleep than take her to her PCP.

Pili

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2004
Status
FungManX said:
Hi, I'm currently living with my 80 year old grandmother right now and in the last couple days she hasn't been able to sleep due to back pains.. she says her back muscles are tensing up and it hurts to lie down

I don't know if this is a pointless question .. but do you guys think it could be anything else other than 'old age' ?
Should we actually see a physician instead of just giving her a couple tablets of tylenol?

Thanks
Careful with polymyalgia rheumatica and arteritis. Get some blood tests.

MD'05

Money Hungry Pervert
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2002
Visit site
Status
FungManX said:

Thanks
Has she been exerting herself too much lately? If not it could be Multiple Myeloma or a form of metastatic cancer. I would take her in for a check up to be safe. Don't ignore old folks when they start complaining about pain.

cadoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
or osteoporotic compression fracture,
or herniated disc,
or spinal stenosis,
or just about anything else we could think of.
Just go to see a doctor.

uxbridge

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 7, 2004
Status
Honestly, the safest thing to do is to see her doctor. It's just a bad idea overall for anyone to be asking medical advice on the internet, especially when we don't know the whole history etc.

No harm in seeing a physician - elderly patients should have regular appointments anyways, i.e. at least yearly.

OP
F

FungManX

The Cure.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Pharmacy Student
Alrite thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna take her to see a physician this weekend