SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

help...?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Lin709, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Lin709

Lin709 Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 15, 2001
    CA
    Hey guys,
    A friend of mine is applying this summer. She has a ~3.0 GPA but didn't do that well on the DAT's. She plans to retake them in August. Should she still send in her application early (i.e. before she retakes the DAT's) or should she send in her app. after she knows what she got on the DAT's. I guess she was worried that schools might see her current DAT scores (eventhough she's going to retake them) and make a decision without waiting around for her new scores. What do you guys think? Is it better to get in your application early (despit low scores) or wait and send it in later, after your scores have improved? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Regina330

Regina330 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Santa Cruz, CA
    When she fills out the application, it has a space for previous DAT date and scores (the ones she did not do well on) and then there is a space for future DAT. That is where she would indicate that she is taking them again in August. Knowing that, a school will not eliminate her based on her first DAT.

4. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper 10+ Year Member

That's right, schools will wait for the new DAT scores! That's exactly what the schools did with my application. The only difference was I didn't get my new DAT scores to the dental schools until mid-January while your friend will get her new scores in August! CAN WE SAY THAT I WAS EXTREMELY LATE?! Also, your friend will have presentable GPAs on her AADSAS application with a 3.00 to show dental schools, I only had a 2.7s and 2.5s to show off my undergraduate talents! Talk about worry getting "eliminated" before the schools receive my new DAT scores! Your friend will be OK! Just tell her to do well on the DAT! :cool:

5. Lin709

Lin709 Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 15, 2001
    CA
    Thanks for the replies guys! I hope all goes well on the DAT's for her... thanks for the encouragement :)

6. quantumhead

quantumhead Verrucas Vulgaris 7+ Year Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Richmong, VA
    Apply as early as possiable. If you are worried than write a letter to the schools and tell them you are planning to retake the DAT in August. They will wait to see the new scores.