HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

simseema17

Hello,
I also have a sci gpa of around a 2.7 and overall gpa of 3.01. I received an 18/17 on my DAT and applied to 15 schools, two which include UOP and Howard. I am a senior in undergrad college, and waiting to hear from the dental schools. I feel like it's out of my reach now, is there anything else I can
do...also, do you think I have a shot at all? My applications just got to the dental schools, so how long did you guys have to wait to get interviews? I haven't been asked to interview yet and I'm terribly worried.
Would it help to go visit the school myself? Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Seema

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's much you can do at this point. Did you have this GPA throughout your college career or did you do badly your first year and excelled later? Meharry also has low stats, so you might want to consider forwarding your app there. I'm not sure what to say in your case because you applied late. It seemed like the less selective schools try to fill up their class early and start interviewing really early. The more qualified you are, the sooner you will get interviews. You can also try to get some kind of dental experience, which you could talk about in an interview. If you feel dental school is now out of your reach, you should try to do the best this last year of college to increase your GPA in case you want to reapply next year. But don't lose hope since many schools keep on accepting students for a long time.

Sorry that you interpreted my post as saying you have no shot. That was not my intention. All I wanted to say was that I don't know about your case because the schools have only recently received your application (the earliest applications are received in june). Although it's not super late, the earlier you apply, the better your chances are at certain schools. It really all depends on the school. Some schools start interviewing as early as August. Others haven't started yet. So I don't know if that means you need to have higher numbers than the will be average entering student at that particular school to get in or not. Another thing is that people say stats have been rising steadily every year. The stats I gave was last year's, so by the time we get in, those stats will have been 2 years old. Again, it depends on the school whether they emphasize GPA over DAT or vice versa. Anyways, what I was trying to say at the end of my post was that even if you don't get interviews right away, it doesn't mean you won't get in anywhere because many schools keep on accepting students. So you don't need to be so distressed by the fact that you haven't received an interview invitation yet (in light of the fact that the schools have only recently received your app).

Let's say you did apply early. In that case, I would say you have a good shot at Meharry and Howard, fairly good shot at Tufts (depending on how they see your 2.7 sci GPA) and a decent shot at UOP. This is just purely on numbers though. You may be a fabulous interviewee, have a great essay or wonderful extracurriculars, etc, etc which can all increase your desirability.

I don't think you are in lalaland - there are the factors I have mentioned (like app not being early, stats sort of old) which can have an effect on you and I was hoping to bring this to your attention, in case you were not aware of them. Whether these factors will have any real effect on you, I don't know.

Sit tight, and you will hear from schools
smile.gif