Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Doc_Panchal

Hi,
I am very much concerned about two sections of MCAT: physics and organic chemistry.
I have been studying for August MCAT, but I have quite a difficult time encouraging myself on these two sections. This is because when I study the concepts of physics and orgo, I do understand the formulas and the concepts, but when I start the practice passages, i end up doing horrible. Then, i start feeling frustrated and then, have a hard time concentrating. The same goes for organic.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I would really appreciate it. Did anyone go through the same frustrations as I did?

Thanks for listening!

Members don't see this ad.

What practice passgaes are you doing? You should be using AAMC stuff to guage your progress. Kplan, etc tend to be alot harder but are worth doing for the practice.

Sure, most of us go through this frustration -- the key is to not let disappointment allow us to get so frustrated that we "give up". Persistence and perserverance.

-bonnie

Physics itself is not easy, it wasn't for me. So don't let yourself get disappointed over this. How are you doing on the practise tests? They say if you do atleast 75 percent correct on the Kaplan pract. topicals, then you're in good shape. AAMC, I would urge you to get over 80 percent right, to be able to have 10 or above in the sciences.

It's not the time to get down to basics again. Obviously, something about the way you are INTERPRETING the questions is not right, or perhaps the reasons you are looking at the answers the way you are, is not right. That happens. Believe it or not, the MCAT is more about KNOWING how they test, and what kinds of answers they put in there. Usually in the sciences, you should be able to eliminate your answers down to two just by prior basic science knowledge. You can do that, since you said you have no probs with the basics. Then, look at the two answers that are left. Try NOT finding the right answer. Try finding the WRONG one first. You almost always will see the "sore thumbs" from the 4 answers, and you would have eliminated them which leaves you with the final answer.

This is really elemantary stuff, but you know what i mean...right? Try not looking for the RIGHT answer (that's what they want you to do, so you waste time). Instead, look for the ones that are obviously wrong, and you you would have increased your odds of getting to the right answer.

Be well,
Tweetie
PS: I loved Orgo and even taught it. If you need help, holla back. :)

Hey I just wanted to add- don't let physics discourage you!

Physics was my mental block for the mcat when I started studying. I studied like mad for physics and really strove to understand the physics..i ended up liking physics alot actually! ..It CAN be done..so don't tell yourself otherwise! I started at a 7 on PS and got a 12 on the mcat.

Good luck!

p.s. I used ek physics 1001 and their physics book. I highly recommend it..it was great in drilling in those concepts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Those are my two most difficult also. What I recommend? Examkrackers, seriously. The way they explain the material jives much more with the way I think. I have been focusing on physics almost singly so far and I really feel like I'm making progress. What I do? I listen to Audio Osmosis, take notes, check with the Kaplan book now and then and then I do the Physics 1001 questions. They are not MCAT style, but they help you focus on what you do and do not know before you get to the passages. I am gaining confidence, but I can't tell you yet if this works.

Many people have raved about EK Physics. I would buy 1001 Q's and the review book which would run you about $50 if you can't afford Audio Osmosis.

Sorry I haven't gotten to OChem yet so I can't help ya.

Let me know how it's going. We need an SDN support group.

The secret to success on MCAT physics is to always ask the question. "how does that work?" While understanding what formula is applicable to what situation is helpful in college courses, the MCAT asks things in a very different way (as you noticed).

If I memorize V = iR, that helps me to calculate. But I need more. For instance, there was a passage on batteries that have the life indicators on the side. When you push down, you are closing an internal circuit. The voltage of the battery is pretty much constant, but the internal resistance increases uniformly with time (as the anode metal is oxidized into a salt). Hence, reduced internal current (assuming V to be constant) is the result of increased internal resistance, which measures the salt build-up and thus lifetime of the battery.

Knowing traditional physics equations and circuit questions doesn't always help. You need to think more like an engineer, and focus on the mechanics behind devices and experiments. Reading tables is also useful, because you can extrapolate data to generate any equations you might need.

I hope this helps.

Thank You so much for your replies. It really helps. I had taken Princeton Review Classes in the spring and now that they are over, I am studying using their books and their science workbook which has practice passages. About orgo, i used to love it, but my professor taught me differently, using slides approach than the Princeton Review teaches it and I think that is where my problem lies.

I have one more question. Should I take a practice test once every week till the August MCAT, do you think that would really help? I have 7 Princeton Review Practice MCAT and aamc IV and V. I hope it helps if i keep doing practice test on top of studying.

Again, thanks for your suggestions :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doc:

I have one more question. Should I take a practice test once every week till the August MCAT, do you think that would really help? I have 7 Princeton Review Practice MCAT and aamc IV and V. I hope it helps if i keep doing practice test on top of studying.

Again, thanks for your suggestions :) •••••That is exactly what I did and it paid off. Save the aamc tests for when the test draws near. You should try and get aamc #6 as well.

Try and do more practise passages right now, and save a lot of the tests for the last 2-3 weeks. I must have done 10 tests in the last 1.5 weeks before the test. You want to slowly start building your stamina. Not rush into it.

As stated earlier, save AAMC tests for later. That's the true guage.

I know this must seem I have so much time on my hands that I am keeping on replying and asking questions, but I am on my break right now..from studying.

I feel so stupid, because in the spring when I took the couple practice tests, i scored on an average of 4 on each section!!! PR gave us a practice test the weekend before starting classes. So I was quite shocked at my HORRIBLE score!!! I was quite discouraged by that..and decided I needed more time to study. That is why I decided not to take the April MCAT, and now i am doing the practice tests again and studying EXTRA HARD!! And its helping!! Also, i didn't know about SDN then, now that I do, i didn't know that there are such nice and helpful people out there!

One quick question! How do I score the sections? Just so I know how to score my practice tests! Thanks!

On kaplan, they like to see 75percent and above correct, which usually gives you a 10 or above in SCIENCES. No idea on TPR.

I've noticed that for AAMC, you need to have a higher (almost 80 and above) to get a 10 on each section. Depends on each test, depends on population taking the test. If you're getting above 75percent right, you're in good shape. If you want a "kick ass" score, try and get it 89 and above. That usually corresponded to a 12 on my Kaplan diags.

Also, for organic chemistry, check out:

<a href="http://gopher.chem.uic.edu/organic/organic.html" target="_blank">http://gopher.chem.uic.edu/organic/organic.html</a>

and

<a href="http://cwx.prenhall.com/bookbind/pubbooks/bruice/" target="_blank">http://cwx.prenhall.com/bookbind/pubbooks/bruice/</a>

for practice and visualization. Can't take credit for it, someone else posted it a few months ago.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Tweetie_bird:
•Try and do more practise passages right now, and save a lot of the tests for the last 2-3 weeks. I must have done 10 tests in the last 1.5 weeks before the test. You want to slowly start building your stamina. Not rush into it.

As stated earlier, save AAMC tests for later. That's the true guage.•••••I totally respect Tweetie_bird's perspective, but I fear that cramming all those tests might subject you to the "burnout" phenomenon. I think taking a test on the weekend up until the real thing is the way to go. During the week review and do practice materials. Also, find some time to relax.
The day before the MCAT I went and saw the Kids in the Hall live. It took a little bit of the anxiety away...temporarily.
Get some input from some others, too. Just my take on it.

A test per week is ideal, because that allows ytou adequate time to digest the exam after you take it. The greatest learning tool on the practice exams is reviewing your answers (right and wrong), to determine how you'd attack the questions the next time, if you happen to get similar questions and passages.

Pick the exams carefully, and do AAMC towards the end, when you are closer to your fully-reviewed state of mind. Taking AAMC exams too early can be a waste of a good exam.

In addition, I recommend taking a couple Berkeley Review exams (particularly 1 and 4) for a good representation of the MCAT.