Feb 15, 2010
Status
i've taken the actual MCAT twice before (without preparation- i know, i was being stupid) and i made a 10 BS/11 VR/7 PS the first time and a 9 BS/10 VR/8 PS the second.

i prepared to take the 4/10 MCAT and this time around, i actually put in the work in terms of content memorization and practice problems (examkrackers 1001 books).

for some reason, i freaked out on test day. i wound up guessing on 15+ of the PS questions and didn't have enough time to even guess on the last few. i voided my score.

despite my poor PS performance on the past two MCATs, i never felt THAT rushed for time, and have often had time to review answers. any explanation for this? what could i do to fix this?

i'm slated to take the 5/1 MCAT and this is my last chance! any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks =)

Oncoloman

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I personally had my "Freak out" moment during my first examination. This was due to not being prepared for the actual MCAT setting. In other words: I needed to just shell out the money for the practice exams as well as some good review books. I started around where you are with the AAMC practice exams but sure enough by the third practice exam I was where I wanted to be. This is really all the advice I can give since everyone is different. It may seem like just a trend but the methods that most students use on this forum are actually pretty good at "preparing you to take the exam"...the rest is up to you.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
practice. tests.

and work stuff into your study schedule that's not just related to studying. i don't necessarily mean that you have to have a social life (god knows mine died when I studied for the MCAT) but have some sort of calming ritual that you do every time you study and especially every time you take practice tests.

dingyibvs

Psych!
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2007
Florida
Status
Medical Student
i've taken the actual MCAT twice before (without preparation- i know, i was being stupid) and i made a 10 BS/11 VR/7 PS the first time and a 9 BS/10 VR/8 PS the second.

i prepared to take the 4/10 MCAT and this time around, i actually put in the work in terms of content memorization and practice problems (examkrackers 1001 books).

for some reason, i freaked out on test day. i wound up guessing on 15+ of the PS questions and didn't have enough time to even guess on the last few. i voided my score.

despite my poor PS performance on the past two MCATs, i never felt THAT rushed for time, and have often had time to review answers. any explanation for this? what could i do to fix this?

i'm slated to take the 5/1 MCAT and this is my last chance! any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks =)
Practice exams should help a ton with timing. Next time, take some AAMC online exams before taking the real thing, as the AAMC ones are set up in pretty much the same format.

Also, if you're getting sub 10 scores with ample time to check your work, then you're not doing it right. I can consistently get 14-15 in the PS section and I have barely 5 mins or so to check my answers. I only had about 2 mins when I took the real thing.

Feb 15, 2010
Status
Practice exams should help a ton with timing. Next time, take some AAMC online exams before taking the real thing, as the AAMC ones are set up in pretty much the same format.

Also, if you're getting sub 10 scores with ample time to check your work, then you're not doing it right. I can consistently get 14-15 in the PS section and I have barely 5 mins or so to check my answers. I only had about 2 mins when I took the real thing.
yeah, i think practice tests will help too. thanks!

i think the extra time i had in the PS section can be attributed to the time i gained by crazy guessing (i hadn't studied prior to my sub 10 scores)