Help ... : /

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bob319

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm stuck in the middle of applying because I am hesitant in believing that I will even be accepted! I'm at a large Big Ten school and it is hard to get good advice/help

Human Biology UG Major
GPA: 3.1 (may go up .1 or .2 after this term)
GRE: 550v 550q 4.0w (not fabulous)
LOR's - 1 great one, 1 good one, 1 standard
Other: Sorority for 4 years- not many of these on the forum lol but I was financial vice president for 2 years with lots of volunteering and I helped with the International Council for the organization with installing a new chapter. I studied abroad in Africa for 1 month with coursework pertaining to their health system. I also have 6 credits (4.0 for both courses) on the graduate level in the College of Human Medicine (went along with my study abroad - it was an MPH study abroad program)

I know public health is what I want to do and where my skills and efforts will be best utilized. I just can't even wait to get into the work field!

I'm planning to apply to lots of school, BU is my top choice but I am well aware that it is a stretch. My list also includes SUNY albany, UF, GW, Pitt, UT, and Drexel.

Chances? Thoughts? Other schools I should look at in my range? I would so love some advice from people who know what they are talking about! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I also should add I'm extremely interested in PeaceCorps and currently speaking with a recruiting officer to get an app out for that as well? maybe go for the MI?

Hey! Without knowing all circumstances, I think you have an excellent chance of getting into a school. I think you should definitely get on finishing your application so that it can get in as soon as possible, I'm sure the earlier it is reviewed the better (i.e. the later they get it the more spots they may have already filled).

I'm a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer and am also planning to do Master's International (so, yes, another Peace Corps service :) ). I think that Peace Corps is an amazing opportunity for personal growth, to experience and learn to love a new culture, learn a new language, and to help a community of people who are probably motivated and intelligent, but just haven't had the educational opportunities you and I have had in our lives. There are a million other things, but all to say, I think that it's something good to look into...also, BU has an MI program :). Peace Corps is definitely not for everyone, and there are certainly hard days, you have to be prepared to focus on the small changes that you make and the difference in a few poeples' lives (rather than only being happy if you save an entire nation from poverty). If you can go into it with an open mind and heart, then it can be a wonderful life changing experience that you will never forget!

Get going and apply! You won't regret it. I've gotten an acceptance from Tulane for the MI program, but I haven't heard from BU, so I don't think they are getting too far into Fall applications yet...you still have plenty of time and no reason not to go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, a few of your other choices have MI programs, like GW and Pitt, but I knew BU was your top choice so I focused on that...but lots of schools have MI!

What program are you applying to overall (epi, gh, etc.)?

I'm interested in a couple concentrations, which makes it even harder which schools to narrow it down to. But I'm thinking Global Health or Health Policy and Management.

don't sell yourself short!! go for it and apply. your GRE scores aren't bad and your GPA is not that low either! i only have about a 3.2 and I applied. Go for it!

I agree that you should be a confident applicant. The way you sound makes me think you must have a killer personal statement, which to me could easily overcome slightly low GPA/GRE scores. :cool:

P.S. I've never seen Albany mentioned here! (NYS resident)