Helpful for a future doctor??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dantt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent graduate who is applying for the fall 2007 medical school class. I was just recommended by my professor to solid model for Boeing. This would definitely be a great experience / look good on my resume . . . if I were going to be an engineer. But I'm going to enter medical school. I wrote in some of my secondary applications that I was planning to do some work in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry to get another perspective on medicine on my year off. Would this be a bad idea?

Your thoughts are appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

dantt said:
I am a recent graduate who is applying for the fall 2007 medical school class. I was just recommended by my professor to solid model for Boeing. This would definitely be a great experience / look good on my resume . . . if I were going to be an engineer. But I'm going to enter medical school. I wrote in some of my secondary applications that I was planning to do some work in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry to get another perspective on medicine on my year off. Would this be a bad idea?

Your thoughts are appreciated :)

I'd personally say go for it...not only is it an excellent opportunity for you, but I think that a premed excelling and achieving in something like this would definitely be classified as well-rounded. Even if this well-rounded crap isn't really true, it's an excellent opportunity for you...at least that's what I think... Good luck!

some advice I was told early on: do what you want to do, not what you think med schools want you to do...
I thought that was some pretty good advice. Go for Boeing if you think you'd enjoy it. It def won't hurt your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just concerned it would show a lack of dedication to medicine. Unlike being an engineer for a biotech firm or working for pharmaceuticals, there is very little relevance to medicine in particular. I dunno, I'm definitely giving them my resume though. Hopefully, it'll pan out.

Well did you participate in other medical related activities? I shadowed a doctor today that was a teacher for 5 years, and one yesterday that was a welder of all things......

1. It will certainly give you an EC that will stand out in your app. Some of the best ECs aren't medically related.

2. You obviously think it will be a great experience.

3. When you enter medical school, you won't have the opportunity to go back and have such an experience. Medical school precludes all engineering/fun related activities. :p
-Dr. P.

Well, I already turned in my primary so it won't be in the EC list. I guess it'd be something to talk about during an interview. It's not a problem that I wrote I'd be doing biotech in my secondary but I do aerospace instead?

I worked in a particle engineering lab for two years studying nanotech. I still got accepted to med school. Your other EC's should tell admissions committees that you're interested in becoming a doctor. In my class I've met two teachers, a DJ, and an investment banker.

I think you should do things that will be fun and interesting to you. You might find you love this type of work and you prefer it over medicine. It is a good oppurtunity and it couldn't hurt you application, and would be something cool to talk about in interviews.