1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Helpful for a future doctor??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dantt, Aug 11, 2006.

1. dantt

dantt Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am a recent graduate who is applying for the fall 2007 medical school class. I was just recommended by my professor to solid model for Boeing. This would definitely be a great experience / look good on my resume . . . if I were going to be an engineer. But I'm going to enter medical school. I wrote in some of my secondary applications that I was planning to do some work in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry to get another perspective on medicine on my year off. Would this be a bad idea?

Your thoughts are appreciated :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. phospho

phospho SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd personally say go for it...not only is it an excellent opportunity for you, but I think that a premed excelling and achieving in something like this would definitely be classified as well-rounded. Even if this well-rounded crap isn't really true, it's an excellent opportunity for you...at least that's what I think... Good luck!

4. laurenem

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    some advice I was told early on: do what you want to do, not what you think med schools want you to do...
    I thought that was some pretty good advice. Go for Boeing if you think you'd enjoy it. It def won't hurt your app.

5. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Go to Boeing if you want. Once you enter med school, you will not get a second chance to do something as unique as working as an engineer.

6. dantt

dantt Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am just concerned it would show a lack of dedication to medicine. Unlike being an engineer for a biotech firm or working for pharmaceuticals, there is very little relevance to medicine in particular. I dunno, I'm definitely giving them my resume though. Hopefully, it'll pan out.

7. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well did you participate in other medical related activities? I shadowed a doctor today that was a teacher for 5 years, and one yesterday that was a welder of all things......

8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    1. It will certainly give you an EC that will stand out in your app. Some of the best ECs aren't medically related.

2. You obviously think it will be a great experience.

3. When you enter medical school, you won't have the opportunity to go back and have such an experience. Medical school precludes all engineering/fun related activities. :p
    -Dr. P.

9. dantt

dantt Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, I already turned in my primary so it won't be in the EC list. I guess it'd be something to talk about during an interview. It's not a problem that I wrote I'd be doing biotech in my secondary but I do aerospace instead?

10. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I worked in a particle engineering lab for two years studying nanotech. I still got accepted to med school. Your other EC's should tell admissions committees that you're interested in becoming a doctor. In my class I've met two teachers, a DJ, and an investment banker.

11. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you should do things that will be fun and interesting to you. You might find you love this type of work and you prefer it over medicine. It is a good oppurtunity and it couldn't hurt you application, and would be something cool to talk about in interviews.