• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Helpful reference books during medical school

firebird69guy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Sacramento, CA
    Has anyone found this book useful during med school? It's my birthday coming up and several family members have insisted they buy me books that are helpful for school.

One book I have been looking at is The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy, 17th Edition.

I also have been looking at Gray's Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice.

I'm also looking for some anatomy flashcards. Has anyone tried the Gray's anatomy cards?

Thanks in advance for any help you might have on this, including other recommendations.

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
    Moderator Emeritus
    15+ Year Member
    Aug 6, 2003
    Houston
    1. Attending Physician
      I have Gray's Anatomy- the book. It is not very readable for most people and the illustrations are mediocre.

I would recommend the following if you are set on getting reference books:

Rohen Atlas for Anatomy
      Moses' Atlas
      Big Moore for Anatomy (there is also a mini-moore edition that is much smaller and more portable)
      Guyton and Hall for Physio (Berne and Levy is not nearly as readable in my opinion)
      Marks' Biochemistry is a pretty good read
      Wheater's Histology and Ross' Histology are both excellent
      Grant's Dissector is the standard--but check what edition your school is going to use

As far as flashcards go, there are several varieties including Gray's, Netter's, BRS. I liked the BRS but they are much more clinical in nature than the others. You should go to your medical school bookstore and take a look and see what you like.

I believe the Merck Guide is available online- try a google search.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.