helping out at a dental office

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jamie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking for any full time positions. I have assisting experience, but I'm currently working in another field full time. Anyway, I'd really like to stay involved in dentistry, and make a few bucks doing it. The paid part is important if possible, because I have volunteered in public health clinics before. Do you think offices would be receptive to me sending a letter asking if they would like any help on saturdays from a pre dental student looking for more experience? At this point i'd be fine with washing their dishes to be honest. Has anyone done this and been successful in finding something?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about your area but of the 75 or so clinics in my town only one has Saturday hours. That said, however, this clinic is always looking for assistants and hygienists who are willing to work Saturdays. Good luck on your quest.

have you thought of working at a dental lab. there are usually many of them in every city (usually small), and if they are willing they can train you to do the lab work which you will be doing the first year of dental school. Also many of them are working on saturdays and sundays.

Members don't see this ad :)
In Utah, you don't have to be certified as a dental assistant so that's what I did for about a year and a half. Right now I am being trained by a dental lab technician so that I can hopefully start working for him in sometime in the fall. I've heard that dental schools like lab experience much more than assisting experiences so that's why I'm doing it; plus it's fun. You'd be surprised though. I didn't even know the guy and I called him up and told him my situation that I was a predental student trying to get more experience and he was very helpful and willing to help me out. I think a lot of times it just takes making the phone call and being honest with dental professionals so that they will open up to you and offer to help. Good luck in your pursuit.

well, i worked for my uncle for years, and my dad is a dental lab tech. i moved out of town, so that is why i have to start from scratch. I never thought about the dental lab thing. I just want a saturday thing really. I just wasn't sure how a dentist would take me actually contacting them about my interest. Places are constantly hiring assistants, and I would do that if I didn't have a full time job. I probably should have had my dad teach me a bit about lab work. Maybe I'll look around.