Cooolguy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
232
0
Status
Hey guys, I just took my kaplan diagnostic and received a 5 on the verbal section of the test. Yes, a 5!! Is there any way I can boost this score up within 5 months? Has anyone had any miracle "jumps" in verbal? Please let me know what I can do.
 

myfavred

I am a girl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2004
1,621
0
In a haunted village
Status
Cooolguy said:
Hey guys, I just took my kaplan diagnostic and received a 5 on the verbal section of the test. Yes, a 5!! Is there any way I can boost this score up within 5 months? Has anyone had any miracle "jumps" in verbal? Please let me know what I can do.
Exam Krackers 101 verbal passages and their verbal book. I took the kaplan course and first time took the MCAT and got an 8. Mind you I applied all of their strategies and practiced with 80% of their material. So this time I studied using EK strategies and did their whole 101 verbal book and got an 11. The most sincere advice I can give you is to use EK.
 

EndSong

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2005
414
3
Status
Use EK. I used it. My first diagnostic I got a 7. In 2 months I got a 10 on the real thing.
 
About the Ads

Will Ferrell

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
776
2
Status
you should expect a bad score on your diagnostic. you're completely unfamiliar with MCAT verbal. No one is. It's nothing like sat verbal or whatever. After a few more practice exams, you'll pick up the feel.
 

SensesFail

Senior Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2004
283
0
Status
Medical Student
A 5 in any section on the Diagnostic is perfectly normal. Don't get discouraged. They purposely make Diagnostics harder than normal anyway. Just keep practicing and reading, you've got time.
 

Cooolguy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
232
0
Status
Hey thanks a lot for the response, i really appreciate the encouragement.

myfavred said:
Exam Krackers 101 verbal passages and their verbal book. I took the kaplan course and first time took the MCAT and got an 8. Mind you I applied all of their strategies and practiced with 80% of their material. So this time I studied using EK strategies and did their whole 101 verbal book and got an 11. The most sincere advice I can give you is to use EK.
 

Darch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
130
1
Status
Cooolguy said:
Hey guys, I just took my kaplan diagnostic and received a 5 on the verbal section of the test. Yes, a 5!! Is there any way I can boost this score up within 5 months? Has anyone had any miracle "jumps" in verbal? Please let me know what I can do.
I had the same problem...I took tpr last summer and I could not score higher than a 6 on any of the diagnostics. I freaked out and bought EK 2 weeks before the exam. I practiced using the EK strategy and I did passages for hours and hours and managed to get an 8 in aug (yea still not great but considering my trend of 5s and 6s, I was pleased). I am confident that with EK and more than 2 weeks to learn their strategy we can both get 10s!! Good Luck!!
 

Cooolguy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
232
0
Status
Thanks a lot man, Im trying to read some books and stuff, i dunno maybe that will help. I am looking into some book by kurt vonnegut, it is supposed to be good for verbal reasoning on the MCAT. Look into it. I plan on spending a lot more time once this semester is over so I can study over christmas and hopefully kick some butt. Good Luck dude.


Darch said:
I had the same problem...I took tpr last summer and I could not score higher than a 6 on any of the diagnostics. I freaked out and bought EK 2 weeks before the exam. I practiced using the EK strategy and I did passages for hours and hours and managed to get an 8 in aug (yea still not great but considering my trend of 5s and 6s, I was pleased). I am confident that with EK and more than 2 weeks to learn their strategy we can both get 10s!! Good Luck!!
 

Sartre79

15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
629
1
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't understand the recent comments about K. Vonnegut. I sincerely doubt that reading any of his books will help (and yes I have read him). Best of luck though.
 

anon-y-mouse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2005
1,382
13
Status
Resident [Any Field]
7 on my first AAMC diagnostic, I freaked out. 14 on the real thing. YES, you can boost it. The key is strict timing (you must have a sheet where you can bubble in, as well, because bubbling takes up a good 2 mins or so), reading very critically (but never re-reading a sentence), reading the question stems and answer stems. Follow EK's doctrine and do LOTS of verbal practice. You can do it!!
 

big_smiles

Tiffanator - -BoooYaaHH!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
258
0
36
NY
Status
MD/PhD Student
I got a 4 in my verbal diagnostic for Kaplan, but ended up with a 10 on the real thing. Remember topic, scope, and purpose. Read for structure, not detail. use those Kaplan tactics they tell you, they work
 

Cooolguy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
232
0
Status
someone recommended it on student doctor, i figured ill try something. btw i hear his books are good also so i dunno....
 
About the Ads