1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Helpp.........

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Cooolguy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Cooolguy

Cooolguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys, I just took my kaplan diagnostic and received a 5 on the verbal section of the test. Yes, a 5!! Is there any way I can boost this score up within 5 months? Has anyone had any miracle "jumps" in verbal? Please let me know what I can do.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. myfavred

myfavred I am a girl
    5+ Year Member

Exam Krackers 101 verbal passages and their verbal book. I took the kaplan course and first time took the MCAT and got an 8. Mind you I applied all of their strategies and practiced with 80% of their material. So this time I studied using EK strategies and did their whole 101 verbal book and got an 11. The most sincere advice I can give you is to use EK.

4. EndSong

EndSong Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Use EK. I used it. My first diagnostic I got a 7. In 2 months I got a 10 on the real thing.

5. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

you should expect a bad score on your diagnostic. you're completely unfamiliar with MCAT verbal. No one is. It's nothing like sat verbal or whatever. After a few more practice exams, you'll pick up the feel.

6. SensesFail

SensesFail Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A 5 in any section on the Diagnostic is perfectly normal. Don't get discouraged. They purposely make Diagnostics harder than normal anyway. Just keep practicing and reading, you've got time.

7. Cooolguy

Cooolguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey thanks a lot for the response, i really appreciate the encouragement.

8. Darch

5+ Year Member

I had the same problem...I took tpr last summer and I could not score higher than a 6 on any of the diagnostics. I freaked out and bought EK 2 weeks before the exam. I practiced using the EK strategy and I did passages for hours and hours and managed to get an 8 in aug (yea still not great but considering my trend of 5s and 6s, I was pleased). I am confident that with EK and more than 2 weeks to learn their strategy we can both get 10s!! Good Luck!!

9. Cooolguy

Cooolguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks a lot man, Im trying to read some books and stuff, i dunno maybe that will help. I am looking into some book by kurt vonnegut, it is supposed to be good for verbal reasoning on the MCAT. Look into it. I plan on spending a lot more time once this semester is over so I can study over christmas and hopefully kick some butt. Good Luck dude.

10. Sartre79

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't understand the recent comments about K. Vonnegut. I sincerely doubt that reading any of his books will help (and yes I have read him). Best of luck though.

11. anon-y-mouse

anon-y-mouse Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    7 on my first AAMC diagnostic, I freaked out. 14 on the real thing. YES, you can boost it. The key is strict timing (you must have a sheet where you can bubble in, as well, because bubbling takes up a good 2 mins or so), reading very critically (but never re-reading a sentence), reading the question stems and answer stems. Follow EK's doctrine and do LOTS of verbal practice. You can do it!!

12. big_smiles

big_smiles Tiffanator - -BoooYaaHH!
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I got a 4 in my verbal diagnostic for Kaplan, but ended up with a 10 on the real thing. Remember topic, scope, and purpose. Read for structure, not detail. use those Kaplan tactics they tell you, they work

13. Cooolguy

Cooolguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

someone recommended it on student doctor, i figured ill try something. btw i hear his books are good also so i dunno....