HELPPPPP CAN I STILL GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David1115

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow Pre-meds, I just want to say my English isn’t great so don’t critic it. I have finished 5 semester at a private university and my gpa is horrible it’s a train wreck really. I currently have a 2.5 and a science of 2.8 out of 4.0. I am applying as disadvantage students because I worked ful-time in my college career and due to medical problem (asthma) do you think that is enough to even get a interview if I apply as a disadvantage student. With my current projection im looking at a 3.14 by the end of this academic year. I am planning to take 18 credits at my university and another 25 credits outside from BYU. I got to make ends meet. I took the MCAT and I received a 36 equally distributed PS 12 VR 12 BS 12. Should I still apply to Medical school (MD schools). From my academic year 2013 was the worst year I had to retake orgo II from a F to A-. I took Bio Chem received a A- , Genetics A- , Microbiology B+, Neurobiology A- , G CHEM I AND II B and Physics is a B+ both semester. I basically did bad in Orgo and my cores classes. MY ECs 2 yrs of research experience 2 abstract 1 published paper, UN activist award. 300 hours volunteer hours at Mental Hospital . Shadowed General Surgeon. DO you still think its still worth it applying to medical school.? I really don’t want to do post bac but does any body know 6-12 month SMP program for medical school.

Thank you for reading my dilemma,

Davis1115

Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence

Members don't see this ad.

Dude your app is fantastic outside of your GPA. Maybe someone can comment who has been in a similar situation, but I think your GPA might rule you out of MD schools. The rest of it is so good I think it might be worth applying to DO schools, if, as you say, you can pull up your GPA into the 3 range. You have to show that you can handle the coursework though. Work and asthma is no excuse for D's and F's. Lots of us worked full time through college. Don't try too hard to make excuses in your interview, just show them how much you've improved and focus on the positive side of bringing your grades up. DO schools respect that. Good job on the MCAT and your ECs, though.

English isn't great but scored a 12 on VR? Okay, that makes great sense.

In any case, working full time and having asthma most certainly does not qualify you to apply as disadvantaged. Your GPA is the thing that will hold you back.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That is a low GPA. You're not even flirting with a 3.o so applying will be a complete waste of time and money since almost every school will screen you. Your GPA is also way too low for SMPs since nearly every SMP has a minimum 3.0.

Look into Osteopathic schools and retaking classes. In about a year or two of retaking classes. The MCAT score is good.

And as Doctor Strange has noted, you are not disadvantaged at all, but feel free to add it in so that adcom members can roll their eyes.

Likely troll. Says ESL but 12 on verbal? Also the patterns of errors in the original post look odd.

Reactions: 1 users
Likely troll. Says ESL but 12 on verbal? Also the patterns of errors in the original post look odd.

Not necessarily a troll. Perhaps OP just predicts that he/she will obtain a perfectly balanced 36 on the MCAT? :shifty:

Regardless, apply to D.O. schools definitely, and look into SMP/post-bac's as a potential outlet to boost your GPA to become more competitive at low tier MD schools.

Good luck!

Not MD programs, but some DO one.

For MD schools, a post-bac or SMP is in order.

Applicants with disparities between MCAT and GPAs are viewed with alarm.

SMPs are a dime-a-dozen. Drexel, for example, has two of them!

Hey fellow Pre-meds, I just want to say my English isn’t great so don’t critic it. I have finished 5 semester at a private university and my gpa is horrible it’s a train wreck really. I currently have a 2.5 and a science of 2.8 out of 4.0. I am applying as disadvantage students because I worked ful-time in my college career and due to medical problem (asthma) do you think that is enough to even get a interview if I apply as a disadvantage student. With my current projection im looking at a 3.14 by the end of this academic year. I am planning to take 18 credits at my university and another 25 credits outside from BYU. I got to make ends meet. I took the MCAT and I received a 36 equally distributed PS 12 VR 12 BS 12. Should I still apply to Medical school (MD schools). From my academic year 2013 was the worst year I had to retake orgo II from a F to A-. I took Bio Chem received a A- , Genetics A- , Microbiology B+, Neurobiology A- , G CHEM I AND II B and Physics is a B+ both semester. I basically did bad in Orgo and my cores classes. MY ECs 2 yrs of research experience 2 abstract 1 published paper, UN activist award. 300 hours volunteer hours at Mental Hospital . Shadowed General Surgeon. DO you still think its still worth it applying to medical school.? I really don’t want to do post bac but does any body know 6-12 month SMP program for medical school.

Davis1115

Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence

Reactions: 1 user
Working full-time and asthma doesn't quite cut it to make you truly disadvantaged in the eyes of most adcoms. Being ESL might. But your GPA and MCAT being so different and 12 on verbal while writing so badly just doesn't add up. I am saying it as ESL applicant too.

Davis1115

Does anyone think the mistakes made on here are not the kind to be made by a non-native speaker?

Does anyone think the mistakes made on here are not the kind to be made by a non-native speaker?
What do you mean? Like what specifically are you referring to? Critic for critique seems plausible. I guess some of the punctuation is kinda fishy but we don't know what the primary language is.

What do you mean? Like what specifically are you referring to? Critic for critique seems plausible. I guess some of the punctuation is kinda fishy but we don't know what the primary language is.

A few things I see off the top of my head, not an exhaustive list. The critic-critique one actually seems weird to me but I can't come up with an exact explanation, so here are the things that I do think are odd with explanations:

"ful-time"; "full" is a common english word and "ful" is not a word at all. Nonnative speakers are much more likely to make mistakes in word choice itself then simple spelling mistakes like that, particularly since english doesn't have things like accent marks and whatnot that make letters have multiple meanings.

"disadvantage students" and "5 semester" when it should be "disadvantage student" and "5 semesters"--making the pluralization mistake BOTH ways is odd, as generally a nonnative speaker would likely be consistent in this mistake , in concordance with their native language patterns.

"got to make ends meet", particularly the use of "got to"; this is an English colloquialism used correctly. Nonnative speakers, particularly in writing, are not likely to correctly use a colloquialism when making such obvious mistakes elsewhere. The use of the phrase "train wreck" is also in this pattern.

There are also scattered spacing and punctuation mistakes (see the sig in the post) that mean either someone is clumsily adding in mistakes or the OP doesn't write well in their native language, either. There's a space after a comma and no space between a final word and a period in every language I'm aware of. These types of mistake would not be attributable to a language barrier.

Basically there will always be a pattern to a non-native speaker's mistakes that flows out of the linguistics of their original language, and to my eyes this post looks very strange. I'm not saying it's definitely fake, but IMO it's more likely fake than not.

A few things I see off the top of my head, not an exhaustive list. The critic-critique one actually seems weird to me but I can't come up with an exact explanation, so here are the things that I do think are odd with explanations:

"ful-time"; "full" is a common english word and "ful" is not a word at all. Nonnative speakers are much more likely to make mistakes in word choice itself then simple spelling mistakes like that, particularly since english doesn't have things like accent marks and whatnot that make letters have multiple meanings.

"disadvantage students" and "5 semester" when it should be "disadvantage student" and "5 semesters"--making the pluralization mistake BOTH ways is odd, as generally a nonnative speaker would likely be consistent in this mistake , in concordance with their native language patterns.

"got to make ends meet", particularly the use of "got to"; this is an English colloquialism used correctly. Nonnative speakers, particularly in writing, are not likely to correctly use a colloquialism when making such obvious mistakes elsewhere. The use of the phrase "train wreck" is also in this pattern.

There are also scattered spacing and punctuation mistakes (see the sig in the post) that mean either someone is clumsily adding in mistakes or the OP doesn't write well in their native language, either. There's a space after a comma and no space between a final word and a period in every language I'm aware of. These types of mistake would not be attributable to a language barrier.

Basically there will always be a pattern to a non-native speaker's mistakes that flows out of the linguistics of their original language, and to my eyes this post looks very strange. I'm not saying it's definitely fake, but IMO it's more likely fake than not.
Hmm good eye. Also note he posted a status or w/e on his profile: "The struggle is real". Doesn't seem consistent with the "ESL-level" of his post.

Yes i forgot to mention english is not my first language I moved here 5 years ago.....smalll detail that i forgot to add

When you guys say Low-Tier Medical School (MD) can you list a few.