[Helps!] Please compare the following graduate/professional programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echostate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
An international student, receive two admissions. My family can afford at most $50000 (for tuition and living expenses). So please compare/describe the admissions in these two aspects:
(1) The difficulty of finding financial supports (TA/RA/Fellowships) after enrollment (during the next 4-5 years in the program).
(2) The job opportunity after graduation.

Choice 1 (Tuition: $15000 per YEAR):
Admission (currently without financial supports, but pending) into the PhD Program in Nutritional Science @ Rutgers University (New Brunswick).

Choice 2 (Tuition: $15000 per TERM, more expensive than choice 1):
First, admission (without financial supports) into the MPH program in Epidemiology @ School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh.
Then, after the first two terms, reapply to the DrPH/PhD Program in Epidemiology at the same school (and do my best to receive the financial supports).

Members don't see this ad.

well...

you have two different fields of study here...epi and nutritional sciences..although they are intertwined, i would believe that you have to make the decision on which field is better suited towards your research interests..

well...

you have two different fields of study here...epi and nutritional sciences..although they are intertwined, i would believe that you have to make the decision on which field is better suited towards your research interests..

Thanks for reply.

Although the methods used in nutritional science and epidemiology are quite different, i.e., one focuses on biochmistry and the other concentrates on data analysis, they are both close related to my interests.

My undergraduate major is preventive medicine, and the most interesting topic for me is the prevention and control of chronic diseases. In this sense, research in nutritional sciences and epidemiology are both OK.

Perhaps, one is a bit better than the other, BUT research interest is not the only factor I consider. FUNDING AVAILABILITY AND JOB OPPORTUNITY are critical, givan that my family can not afford the tuition of 5 years.

Given your financial situation, you might want to consider getting the MPH in Epi, working for a few years, and then returning for the PhD later. You may find additional funding opportunities with greater work experience, and even if not, you will have earned some money first.

I don't know much about the two programs you are considering, but after speaking with people in them, you may have a better idea of the ease with which you might get a TA/RA position. If it sounds as though these positions are easy to come by, and tuition remission and a stipend are available, that may change things. But I would caution against going into a PhD program without knowing how you will be able to pay for it. If you do, be sure you find out about policies on part-time studies, leaves of absence, etc., in case it becomes necessary for you to look for outside work during your studies (if your visa permits) or otherwise take some time off.

It is a difficult position to be in, and I wish you the best of luck!