Hematology/Oncology 2019-2020 Fellowship Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gritsngravy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I would throw this out there to start the season off with questions, suggestions, concerns, etc. Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I feel ERAS differentiates AMGs from IMGs even from Token which puts IMG whoever loves Hem/onc in an inferior position before the game. Not sure the reason, but wish there is still hope for IMGs.

I am a graduating PGY3 applying this cycle. Unfortunately due to personal and financial reasons, I wont be able to take my AVIM boards this fall of 2019, but will plan to take in 2020. Will this affect my chances? Will the programs even know that I didnt sit for the boards prior to ranking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a graduating PGY3 applying this cycle. Unfortunately due to personal and financial reasons, I wont be able to take my AVIM boards this fall of 2019, but will plan to take in 2020. Will this affect my chances? Will the programs even know that I didnt sit for the boards prior to ranking?
No - programs are not explicitly aware of your ABIM certification status, or lack thereof. This information can be looked up on the ABIM website, but you should be getting interviews before your scores result (if you were taking the exam this year).

No - programs are not explicitly aware of your ABIM certification status, or lack thereof. This information can be looked up on the ABIM website, but you should be getting interviews before your scores result (if you were taking the exam this year).
Thank you for that clarification! I heard some vague rumours years ago that fellowship match is held after ABIM releases results so programs can adjust rank list based on who passed or didnt pass. But I'm guessing that's just BS

Thank you for that clarification! I heard some vague rumours years ago that fellowship match is held after ABIM releases results so programs can adjust rank list based on who passed or didnt pass. But I'm guessing that's just BS
It's BS.

I took mine during the 3rd year of my fellowship.

Also, the Match happens while most applicants are still in residency and they take the boards after starting fellowship.

IMG PGY2 from Community program (Uni affiliated) steps 1-3 > 260s. LORs by Hem Onc but not big names. Many abstracts and posters but no publications. I have submitted 3 but I don't think they will accepted before Eras deadline. I am not sure if should apply this year or wait till I have more publications. Interested in Academic programs only.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

IMG PGY2 from Community program (Uni affiliated) steps 1-3 > 260s. LORs by Hem Onc but not big names. Many abstracts and posters but no publications. I have submitted 3 but I don't think they will accepted before Eras deadline. I am not sure if should apply this year or wait till I have more publications. Interested in Academic programs only.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
List your 3 submitted publications as submitted, pending. You have excellent board scores. Many many hematology oncology fellows are IMGs. I would apply now. Unless you really want to work as a hospitalist for a year or something like that to focus on your publications and studying for ABIM, a year of your life is a year of your life.

Hey guys, longtime lurker.

A little about my stats:

- NonUS-IMG PGY2, on H1B visa at a known (2nd-tier) University IM program in the south.
- Step1 high 250s, Step 2 low 260s, Step 3 low 230s (unfortunately).
- 10 medschool+residency research experiences resulting in 14 total pubs (3 published, 5 submitted status, 1 book chapter, 6 national posters).
- For onc specifically: I have 2 original research projects and 3 QI projects, 2 reviews and 1 case report
- One of my original research projects won a poster prize at a national meeting
- 4 LORs (1 PD (who was my attending on wards briefly as an intern), 1 Geri-Onc Research Mentor (junior faculty who was also my attending on wards), 1 Clinical letter from continuity clinic (division director of GIM) and 2 heme/onc letters from consults or other research projects.

I am selling my application as someone who would like to be a clinician-scientist interested in outcomes research specifically in the field of Geriatric Oncology because its what I am passionate about.

I have narrowed my list by individually emailing programs about whether or not they support H1B.I am applying to 58 majority academic programs (5 of which I am asking to pursue Geri & Onc together).

I am highly considering programs in the midwest or NE that are within my reach like Chicago, Fox Chase/Temple, Einstein, Jefferson, BUMC, Tufts. I would also love the idea of far west programs like Colorado and Oregon.

My major concern is that they might not consider me because of my H1B visa requirement.

Should I be worried and start applying more broadly than 58 or double down, wait for offers and hope for the best.

Any advice from IMGs and US grads are welcome. Wishing everybody the best of luck this cycle.

Welcome guys and good luck to everyone. Where can we list research grants on ERAS? Anyone have an idea?

Feels weird to be finally posting in this thread after lurking since med school years.

On paper I'm prob below average but hoping my LORs can help me out a little bit. Plan to apply broadly to ~50-60 programs with no geographic limitation and hope for the best. Pretty sure I want to either work in private practice or a hybrid setup one day but I'm also hoping for a fellowship that could give some exposure to clinical trial work before I totally write off academics as not for me.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Stanford is still offering fellowship positions? The program is not even searchable in ERAS, unless I missed something...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Stanford is still offering fellowship positions? The program is not even searchable in ERAS, unless I missed something...
Just means they haven't registered yet this year. Relax. I assure you Stanford's Hem/Onc program is not shutting down.

Applications to be submitted soon!
Still thinking of how many programs to apply. I have 70 plus prog in my list as of now. Applying broadly. I wish to cut the list down however I am not sure being an IMG will have me ruled out by a lot of bigger programs.

I am an IMG from a Community program in Northeast. USMLE 250s, did chief residency, currently working as a hospitalist and got my Green card. I have 13 peer reviewed publications and 18’posters. LORs from attendings in my program including chair of Heme Onc.

Posting this early to help the nerves of those with less than stellar CVs:

I am a Carribean grad with 230s for both step scores. Little to nothing in the way of research aside from local conference case presentations. No grants. Never published. No away or audition electives. I went to a community program without a fellowship. I am a first generation doc with no physician-friends/family with any influence. No chief year. I did have good LORs because I did multiple elective rotations and grew to know the docs at my institution well. In general(or at least on paper) I am an average to below average candidate and I matched at my first choice program in the Northeast and I couldn't be happier.

I am posting this because several colleagues will post their impressive credentials in the days and weeks to come. And it will seems like everyone is interviewing at "top tier" programs and has 20 interviews. Seeing this last year I was riddled with anxiety all season thinking that I was not good enough. It even made me depressed at times. I just want you to be confident in yourself and your choice. It can happen for you if you want it. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Reactions: 14 users

I am a Carribean grad with 230s for both step scores. Little to nothing in the way of research aside from local conference case presentations. No grants. Never published. No away or audition electives. I went to a community program without a fellowship. I am a first generation doc with no physician-friends/family with any influence. No chief year. I did have good LORs because I did multiple elective rotations and grew to know the docs at my institution well. In general(or at least on paper) I am an average to below average candidate and I matched at my first choice program in the Northeast and I couldn't be happier.

I am posting this because several colleagues will post their impressive credentials in the days and weeks to come. And it will seems like everyone is interviewing at "top tier" programs and has 20 interviews. Seeing this last year I was riddled with anxiety all season thinking that I was not good enough. It even made me depressed at times. I just want you to be confident in yourself and your choice. It can happen for you if you want it. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Thanks a lot for this morale booster. I have been following these threads for the past 3 yrs and can’t just agree more with you.

Thanks for posting this! SDN isn't allowing me to send you a message for some reason. I'd really appreciate if you could please PM me. @NewOnc

If we are currently working as a hospitalist (start this month) during the application cycle, do we put this in the work/experience section of ERAS? Or do we just leave it and either briefly put in our PS or just bring it up if asked during interviews?

Thanks!

If we are currently working as a hospitalist (start this month) during the application cycle, do we put this in the work/experience section of ERAS? Or do we just leave it and either briefly put in our PS or just bring it up if asked during interviews?

Thanks!
Yes...it's work experience. Put it down. Nobody will care other than it proves that you didn't spend this year in jail.

Hello how many LORs do we need to submit if the program has no particular requirement on their website? Thanks

Still waiting for LORs and I don't think they will be uploaded before July 15th. I wonder how detrimental is this for application?

really struggling with this personal statement. changed my draft four times now and reviewed with several trusted advisers, each giving slightly different advice. Now my head is spinning unsure how personal is an applicant to get vs how much technical (i.e. research experience/clerkship experience) we should focus in on. it's always so hard to write about yourself, especially in just a page. good luck to all going through ironing the PS.

really struggling with this personal statement. changed my draft four times now and reviewed with several trusted advisers, each giving slightly different advice. Now my head is spinning unsure how personal is an applicant to get vs how much technical (i.e. research experience/clerkship experience) we should focus in on. it's always so hard to write about yourself, especially in just a page. good luck to all going through ironing the PS.

IMO putting way too much stock in PS. I’m not positive for all programs I applied to but can nearly guarantee I was offered IVs at most or all of them without them reading my PS. Maybe it gets read more in depth before your interview? (Depending on if you meet with PD say vs a busy GU oncologist who has no time to read it).

Make sure it’s good and doesn’t come off as weird or odd. Otherwise nearly all of them fall in the middle unless you have some kind of incredible personal story

As I'm trying to make my list of programs to apply to I would be interested in some general input for some current/prior fellows. I am largely undecided on my career path and I'm currently thinking academics (likely focusing on education over research, but I'd like some research exposure in fellowship to further decide). From reading comments here over the years, I also know that there's a decent chance I'll end up wanting to do private practice in the end. I'm currently eyeing programs that have different clinical/research/teaching tracks which seems would be a great fit for me, but I was wondering about programs that have required dedicated research months. I'm probably going to avoid places that do the absolute minimum clinical time + 18 research months but would programs that do 6-12 months of research still probably offer excellent clinical training? I know in residency heavy clinical rotations might not even necessarily be the best for education given the lack of free time, and it seems fellowship research months still include continuity clinic.

In ERAS, is it OK to just submit all documents to all programs, or could this be viewed negatively by, e.g., a program that doesn't require medical school transcripts but receives one anyway? Thanks!

In ERAS, is it OK to just submit all documents to all programs, or could this be viewed negatively by, e.g., a program that doesn't require medical school transcripts but receives one anyway? Thanks!

I’m just a fellow applicant for this year, but from what I’ve read elsewhere it sounds like every program expects the MSPE and don’t always specifically list it because it is just expected from every applicant. I doubt it would hurt in any event they probably just wouldn’t read it if they don’t care about it.

As I'm trying to make my list of programs to apply to I would be interested in some general input for some current/prior fellows. I am largely undecided on my career path and I'm currently thinking academics (likely focusing on education over research, but I'd like some research exposure in fellowship to further decide). From reading comments here over the years, I also know that there's a decent chance I'll end up wanting to do private practice in the end. I'm currently eyeing programs that have different clinical/research/teaching tracks which seems would be a great fit for me, but I was wondering about programs that have required dedicated research months. I'm probably going to avoid places that do the absolute minimum clinical time + 18 research months but would programs that do 6-12 months of research still probably offer excellent clinical training? I know in residency heavy clinical rotations might not even necessarily be the best for education given the lack of free time, and it seems fellowship research months still include continuity clinic.
I agree. From prior experience, does anyone have any idea about which kinds of programs offer this?

Hi everyone,

My program did not submit their letter on time so ERAS has not finished processing it. Do you think it is better to apply as early as possible (i.e. now) without their letter or wait for it to be available and then apply? I have everything else I need.

Thanks for all the help!

Hi everyone,

My program did not submit their letter on time so ERAS has not finished processing it. Do you think it is better to apply as early as possible (i.e. now) without their letter or wait for it to be available and then apply? I have everything else I need.

Thanks for all the help!

I am in the same situation and plan to apply by Monday, for what it’s worth. I don’t know how much it will affect us in the long term but I think the prevailing wisdom is to apply with what you have and assign letter(s) as they come in.

I am in the same situation and plan to apply by Monday, for what it’s worth. I don’t know how much it will affect us in the long term but I think the prevailing wisdom is to apply with what you have and assign letter(s) as they come in.
Thanks!

Here we go! this is my 3rd time applying to hem/onc! I didn't match before, so beside research I did one year Palliative fellowship too! this time I found a job at a cancer center. Not sure what else I can do. If I didn't match this year, I guess I have to find a new targeted therapy or win the Nobel prize for my next year hem/onc application :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Here we go! this is my 3rd time applying to hem/onc! I didn't match before, so beside research I did one year Palliative fellowship too! this time I found a job at a cancer center. Not sure what else I can do. If I didn't match this year, I guess I have to find a new targeted therapy or win the Nobel prize for my next year hem/onc application :laugh:
Did you get enough interviews in the previous cycles when you didn’t match?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the help!

I'm in a situation where I have the minimum number of letters to apply but have been waiting for my last one (she's well known in the field) - I was told to just apply anyway. You can add your letters after you apply. I'm assuming programs usually wait at least a day or 2 to start reviewing the submitted applications.

Last year I had only 5 interviews. Had a friend who had 19! and matched the 13th on his rank list..
Hoping for around 10 interviews this yr.
Is there anything you can share with us? 5 IVs is decent number to me lol !no connections or IMG? Thanx

Is there anything you can share with us? 5 IVs is decent number to me lol !no connections or IMG? Thanx
I would say if you are AMG and you have good scores, then you are already in a good position and just adding few researches and good LORs should be enough. If you have connections then even better.

However, if you have low scores and you are IMG, then you really should re-consider applying for hem/onc, or like me try to add as much as you can to your resume. Good scores are kinda basic pre-requirement for Hem/Onc, GI, and Cardiology fellowships.

Good and detailed LORs (not short and generic ones!) can really help your resume.

So, if you have low scores and you do not want to give up your dreams,, then you have to come up with extra things to compensate:
1- research (pubmed published peer review articles (most important), abstracts, poster presentations,..
2- working in a cancer center (ex: oncology hospitalist).
3- Non-ACMG accredited fellowships related to cancer. Ex: 1 yr oncology emergencies at MD Anderson (still competitive to get it!). Look for more. and good luck finding more!!!
4- Doing 1 yr ACMG accredited fellowships: Hospice and Palliative care or Geriatrics. Which one is better? who knows?!
5-other things you can do: doing a chief year residency, honors and achievements and other stuff in your residency (Ex: best resident of the year!), find connections (see if you can find any relatives of the PDs and do favors for them!!!! I'm joking, but things happen lol).

I am going to stop here, and let you use your imaginations more ;)
Again, no rule for how many interviews you need, depends on your personality and how you sell yourself.
Some courtesy interviews never work! Ex: your brother works at a good center and finds you an IV which in a normal condition they would never invite you because of your low scores, don't expect them to even rank you even if they smile at you. But at the end who am I to know?! things always happens, but how often is the question lol

Don't say things that hurt yourself (Ex: when a chief fellow with thick accent interviewing you asking what is your weakness, don't say, oh I have too much accent! lol).

I would say if you are AMG and you have good scores, then you are already in a good position and just adding few researches and good LORs should be enough. If you have connections then even better.

However, if you have low scores and you are IMG, then you really should re-consider applying for hem/onc, or like me try to add as much as you can to your resume. Good scores are kinda basic pre-requirement for Hem/Onc, GI, and Cardiology fellowships.

Good and detailed LORs (not short and generic ones!) can really help your resume.

So, if you have low scores and you do not want to give up your dreams,, then you have to come up with extra things to compensate:
1- research (pubmed published peer review articles (most important), abstracts, poster presentations,..
3- Non-ACMG accredited fellowships related to cancer. Ex: 1 yr oncology emergencies at MD Anderson (still competitive to get it!). Look for more. and good luck finding more!!!
4- Doing 1 yr ACMG accredited fellowships: Hospice and Palliative care or Geriatrics. Which one is better? who knows?!
5-other things you can do: doing a chief year residency, honors and achievements and other stuff in your residency (Ex: best resident of the year!), find connections (see if you can find any relatives of the PDs and do favors for them!!!! I'm joking, but things happen lol).

Again, no rule for how many interviews you need, depends on your personality and how you sell yourself.
Some courtesy interviews never work! Ex: your brother works at a good center and finds you an IV which in a normal condition they would never invite you because of your low scores, don't expect them to even rank you even if they smile at you. But at the end who am I to know?! things always happens, but how often is the question lol

Don't say things that hurt yourself (Ex: when a chief fellow with thick accent interviewing you asking what is your weakness, don't say, oh I have too much accent! lol).
Thank you so much! You will make it!

Please what would you consider as “low scores”?

Please what would you consider as “low scores”?

I attached stats from last year from NRMP site. You can make your own conclusion...
I would say you have low scores if:
for step I, your score is below 230-235
for step II CK, your score is below 225-230 (am I right?!)
for step III, your score is below 210

But it is all about ranges, and there ARE people who matched with lower scores, so again depends on what else you have on your CV.

Here is the link for you my friend and rival ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.54.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.54.22 AM.png
    245.9 KB · Views: 268
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.55.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.55.34 AM.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.55.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.55.58 AM.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.56.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.56.14 AM.png
    187.8 KB · Views: 174
Do programs usually send an automatic e-mail saying they've received your application??

Do programs usually send an automatic e-mail saying they've received your application??
I don't think so. Typically they'll reach out with either an interview offer or rejection according to the previous years thread. Any particular concerns?

I attached stats from last year from NRMP site. You can make your own conclusion...
I would say you have low scores if:
for step I, your score is below 230-235
for step II CK, your score is below 225-230 (am I right?!)
for step III, your score is below 210

But it is all about ranges, and there ARE people who matched with lower scores, so again depends on what else you have on your CV.

Here is the link for you my friend and rival ;)

Bro, we’re not rivals in any form. You don’t even know if i’m applying this year. Just wanted your idea of what constitutes a low score for the benefit of present and future readers of this thread. Shalom and good luck in your application.

Bro, we’re not rivals in any form. You don’t even know if i’m applying this year. Just wanted your idea of what constitutes a low score for the benefit of present and future readers of this thread. Shalom and good luck in your application.
of course. it was a joke, changing serious vibe here . Handling small jokes is a plus ;) take it easy

Last edited:
Interviews:
University of Iowa: 7/17***

Rejection:

* IMG does not need visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD
**** DO

Interview Invitations/Rejections
(Please bold the new interviews added to keep track of changes)

Invitations:

University of Iowa: 7/17 ***

Rejections:

* IMG does not need a visa
** IMG needs a visa
*** USMD

****DO