1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Hematology text used at your school?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by bc_tch, Mar 24, 2004.

1. bc_tch

bc_tch Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

They use a British text Essential Haematology by Hoffbrand, Pettit and Moss here at my school. This book is beautifully illustrated and there are tons of real pictures and animations...sooo much better than the one just put out by the U of Michigan: "Hematology for Medical Students". What is the recommended text at your school? Do most med schools even have a Hematology section/block?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bc_tch

bc_tch Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Am I the only one here who has a full hematology block/section in med school??? wow.

4. jaeida8

jaeida8 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

no, we are on our heme block right now. Our required text is the Michigan book but I also bought the Essential haematology book. There are some details in the Hematology for medical students book that aren't in the Essential book. For example we have PBL and we were discussing assays for von willebrand factor deficiency and the Michigan book definitely had more details about the ristocetin test and distinguishing the types of VWF deficiency. I think some people in my group who only had the Essential book found nothing about that in the book. I like the pictures in essential and the lecturers use it on their slides but I also read the Michigan book because it has a lot of details that Essential doesn't.

5. ericdamiansean

ericdamiansean High Profiler
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm doing the system based course and I've finished hematology

We use Hoffbrand (read: recommended), BUT i got through it pretty well without it. Perhaps you'll need it if your course requires extremely thorough reading.

For physio, I used other physio books,but I think one section you've definately got to pay attention on would be pathology, and I used Robbins Patho, great help though a bit hefty. Oh yeah, you'll have lotsa fun with the bone marrow patho slides..crazy stuff..but helps if you know it.

6. bcdnw

bcdnw Member
    7+ Year Member

since i rarely buy them, but I found Hematologic Pathophysiology by Schiffman to be unbelievably great. Awesome book.

7. I never really found a good book to use during my heme/onc subunit. The Brit one was pretty good, as was the Lange one...can't remember the name though.

8. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We had a heme-onc block, but I just used Robbins for it. That plus the class notes was inclusive enough for me.