• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

bc_tch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
They use a British text Essential Haematology by Hoffbrand, Pettit and Moss here at my school. This book is beautifully illustrated and there are tons of real pictures and animations...sooo much better than the one just put out by the U of Michigan: "Hematology for Medical Students". What is the recommended text at your school? Do most med schools even have a Hematology section/block?

bc_tch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Am I the only one here who has a full hematology block/section in med school??? wow.

jaeida8

15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2001
Harlingen, TX
Visit site
Status
no, we are on our heme block right now. Our required text is the Michigan book but I also bought the Essential haematology book. There are some details in the Hematology for medical students book that aren't in the Essential book. For example we have PBL and we were discussing assays for von willebrand factor deficiency and the Michigan book definitely had more details about the ristocetin test and distinguishing the types of VWF deficiency. I think some people in my group who only had the Essential book found nothing about that in the book. I like the pictures in essential and the lecturers use it on their slides but I also read the Michigan book because it has a lot of details that Essential doesn't.

About the Ads

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm doing the system based course and I've finished hematology

We use Hoffbrand (read: recommended), BUT i got through it pretty well without it. Perhaps you'll need it if your course requires extremely thorough reading.

For physio, I used other physio books,but I think one section you've definately got to pay attention on would be pathology, and I used Robbins Patho, great help though a bit hefty. Oh yeah, you'll have lotsa fun with the bone marrow patho slides..crazy stuff..but helps if you know it.

B

Blade28

I never really found a good book to use during my heme/onc subunit. The Brit one was pretty good, as was the Lange one...can't remember the name though.

About the Ads