Heme/Onc Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Funny nobody comments on the programs on the west coast. Is anyone familiar with UCLA? Impression? What exactly is the structure of the first year? I did not get much info during the IV.

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please give me some insight on a comparison between U Minnesota and U Colorado... which would be better?
(For the record, I haven't decided between malignant hematology versus solid oncology as a research focus as yet.)

Thanks.

Any thoughts (please!)

Can someone please give me some insight on a comparison between U Minnesota and U Colorado... which would be better?
(For the record, I haven't decided between malignant hematology versus solid oncology as a research focus as yet.)

Thanks.

It's been a few years since I interviewed at UMinn (I interviewed there for a combined research residency but not for fellowship alone later) and I didn't interview @ Colorado but do know a couple of fellows and faculty there. So take my advice for what it's worth.

If there is even a chance that you want to do solid tumor, Colorado is the far better choice (esp if Lung cancer is an area of interest). When I interviewed @ UMinn, the solid tumor faculty was virtually non-existent. Things may have changed since then of course. Outside of transplant thought, I think Colorado has a better reputation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at the University of Kansas and sent thank you and follow up emails to all the faculty as well as the PD and never received any responses. Does that indicate low interest from their part? Any information is appreciated.

This issue comes up all the time and I have to agree w/ gutonc on this one. I'm not putting much stock in not hearing back from a program. I've heard back from 3 of my 7 programs (by email/phone call) after I sent them a general "Thank you" email, but this doesn't change the way I view a program (positively or negatively). I only told 1 program that I'll be ranking them #1, and I haven't heard squat from them. The replies I received were from my other top 5; and while some were "very enthusiastic about my application," others were happy that I "recognized that they had a high quality program" and wished me luck in the match. No one was tacky enough to say I was "ranked to match," and I actually appreciate that.

Is it nice to hear back?, sure. I at least know they received my "Thank you" email. But I don't see the point in worrying about whether they wrote you back or what they even said in their reply...cause at this point it's not going to change anything. Gutonc is right, some programs have a policy to avoid further communication after the IV day. Worrying about it is only going to cause you undue stress...so try to take a deep breath and relax everyone :p

1 month to go!!! June 17th can't get here fast enough!

This issue comes up all the time and I have to agree w/ gutonc on this one. I'm not putting much stock in not hearing back from a program. I've heard back from 3 of my 7 programs (by email/phone call) after I sent them a general "Thank you" email, but this doesn't change the way I view a program (positively or negatively). I only told 1 program that I'll be ranking them #1, and I haven't heard squat from them. The replies I received were from my other top 5; and while some were "very enthusiastic about my application," others were happy that I "recognized that they had a high quality program" and wished me luck in the match. No one was tacky enough to say I was "ranked to match," and I actually appreciate that.

Is it nice to hear back?, sure. I at least know they received my "Thank you" email. But I don't see the point in worrying about whether they wrote you back or what they even said in their reply...cause at this point it's not going to change anything. Gutonc is right, some programs have a policy to avoid further communication after the IV day. Worrying about it is only going to cause you undue stress...so try to take a deep breath and relax everyone :p

1 month to go!!! June 17th can't get here fast enough!

Is the match on 16th or 17th? and what time?

Is the match on 16th or 17th? and what time?

It 16th, noon time.
From what I know, you will find out whether matched and where matched at the same time, in contrast to residency match.

any inputs from anybody ? (past or current applicants)

It 16th, noon time.
From what I know, you will find out whether matched and where matched at the same time, in contrast to residency match.

any inputs from anybody ? (past or current applicants)

Thats right! good luck to everyone.

Guys,
Is it safe to notify the programs that you like the most that I will be ranking them higher. Does it change anything for better or worse?????????

Guys,
Is it safe to notify the programs that you like the most that I will be ranking them higher. Does it change anything for better or worse?????????

I was wondering about the same thing. In the residency application process, I remember being told it was illegal to tell a program you will rank them number 1. However, I have spoken to many current fellows who had told their top programs they would be ranking them number 1 or so and the programs had a positive response. PDs are very clever in dealing with such approaches.

Hello all,
Which one should be ranked higher?
Wake Forest or Jefferson?

Which would you rank higher? I like them both equally. Any input greatly appreciated...

Members don't see this ad :)
Med coll of georgia, augusta vs camden, NJ....any thoughts?

Based on program? Wake.
Based on location? TJ.

Overall? Total toss-up. Which did you like better? Rank that one higher.
Dear Gutonc,
Thank you for your insight on this.
Would you also let me know how would you rank these programs based on reputation and not considering the location.
Wake, TJ, Tufts, Baylor (houston)
Appreciate your help. I have decided on my first two already

After further review I wanted to get input on my rank list.

Here it goes:

1. OSU
2. Wash U
3. UCSD
4. Moffitt
5. Brown
6. Scripps
7. UCSF
8. Pitt
9. CWRU

Any input would be helpful

I think UCSF is by far the best program on your list, dying to know why so far down.

I think UCSF is by far the best program on your list, dying to know why so far down.

UCSF is a phenomenal program but suffers from the following 2 major problems:

UC - There's like a 50% chance your next paycheck will be in the form of an IOU. Compensation in UC programs is the worst on the West Coast, even with the SF bonus you get.

SF - A pretty awesome city that is so painfully expensive that, if you're relying on your fellowship salary to survive, you're going to either be living in your car, or in Fresno. I lived in NYC for 11 years and I think housing prices in SF are completely ludicrous.

When I put in my rank list 3 years ago I had a baby due in a few days that would be 1 when I moved to start my fellowship. As much as it pained me to do so, I just couldn't justify ranking UCSF #1 since I knew there was no reasonable way to afford living there with a baby.

A friend of mine (grad student who just finished up in my lab) made the exact same decision regarding a post-doc (even worse pay than fellowship). She's going to Vandy because there's no way she, her husband (a self-employed woodworker/cabinetmaker/furniture builder) and her 3 month old could afford even 1/2 of the lifestyle in SF that they have now.

Moral of the story...if you're young and single, or married to someone who makes "F You money", UCSF is impossible to pass up. If you're older, married with kids and/or married to an artist (or, like me, all of those things), UCSF is financially untenable.

Hey Everyone,

Great forum!

Was wondering if anyone had advice on how the following programs should be ranked:

NYU
Mt. Sinai
Cornell

1. OSU
2. Wash U
3. U Colorado
4. Indiana University
5. Loyola
6. U Pitt

thoughts on top 6 ?? Numbers 3-5 is really what I am still undecided on!!

Hi,

Wonder what your thoughts are on Univ of Colorado VS Yale...?
I am trying to decide on which one I should rank first.
I am interested in an academic career and eventually settling down in the
midwest. Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.
Good luck to everyone on the match. 24 days to go...:)

Hi guys,
I was wondering how easy is it to moonlight during fellowship? We have twin babies and my wife won't be able to work for at least the first 2 years of my fellowship and I am pretty sure my salary won't be enough because her loans can't be deferred. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys,
I was wondering how easy is it to moonlight during fellowship? We have twin babies and my wife won't be able to work for at least the first 2 years of my fellowship and I am pretty sure my salary won't be enough because her loans can't be deferred. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Lots of programs have internal moonlighting opportunities available (of the 7 interviews I went on, 5 of the programs had it on the inpatient BMT and Onc services) so the opportunity will likely be there. Some programs (like mine) won't let you moonlight when you're on inpatient service (since you're basically getting paid double to do your job and the gummint doesn't like it when you double dip), plus it's hugely exhausting. So it will be tough to do it as a first year just because of time constraints. But I do 2-4 shifts a month as a research fellow and it's not too bad. There are likely to also be outside opportunities as well, depending on where you end up (i.e. not in NYC).

Also, while her loans can't be deferred, she may be able to get Economic Hardship and at least not have to pay on them (even though interest will continue to accrue).

Hi guys

need help with this rank list

1. Cornell
2. NYU
3. U of Minnesota
4. Case western
5. U of Colorado
6. Baylor
7. Utah
8. UDMNJ - brunswick

more likely onc than heme but not sure. location not as important.

thanks

Hi guys

need help with this rank list

1. Cornell
2. NYU
3. U of Minnesota
4. Case western
5. U of Colorado
6. Baylor
7. Utah
8. UDMNJ - brunswick

more likely onc than heme but not sure. location not as important.

thanks

I would put NYU before Cornell if Onc is your thing. Cornell is amazing in heme (especially MPD and Lymphoma) but their solid program is seriously deficient. They are trying to expand it, but I don´t think they were that successful yet, and they are always shadowed by MSKCC across the street, and lots of their solid patient population end up going to Presby (in which Cornell fellows do not rotate). NYU is a NCI appointed Cancer Center (and Cornell isn´t) and their clinical training is great. Also if bench research is not your thing, Cornell isn´t the place for you. But if you are bench research crazy, then keep the list as it is. Just my two cents.

Any insight on these three?
U Chicago vs Fox Chase vs Emory

Any insight on these three?
U Chicago vs Fox Chase vs Emory

U Chicago has more basic research opportunities than the other 2. Fox Chase has a better clinical training than the other 2. In order of cities, I´d prefer Chicago>Philly>Atlanta, but that´s me. UC has a great university name (so does Emory) and a balanced research vs clinical program (so I heard), but FCCC is part of NCCN, it´s a comprehensive cancer center and is a very balanced Heme vs Onc program (meaning, it really trains you well for both).

They are all great programs, but I´d go 1. UC, 2.FCCC, 3. Emory if you are thinking about academics in your future. If you are a private practice kind of guy, do Fox Chase first and UChicago second.

U Chicago has more basic research opportunities than the other 2. Fox Chase has a better clinical training than the other 2. In order of cities, I´d prefer Chicago>Philly>Atlanta, but that´s me. UC has a great university name (so does Emory) and a balanced research vs clinical program (so I heard), but FCCC is part of NCCN, it´s a comprehensive cancer center and is a very balanced Heme vs Onc program (meaning, it really trains you well for both).

They are all great programs, but I´d go 1. UC, 2.FCCC, 3. Emory if you are thinking about academics in your future. If you are a private practice kind of guy, do Fox Chase first and UChicago second.

QFT. This is exactly how I'd rank them, for all the same reasons...program, location and options.

Hi folks
Please give me some advice on CCF vs University of Iowa.
CCF seems strong in clinical training, not a lot of research. Fellows are busy there, not a lot of automony.
Iowa is a nice, small town for family. Relocation is not easy for my husband.
Please give me some advice....

Good luck to everyone!!!

Hey guys
Two more days !! Good luck to everyone.
My list is

1-md Anderson
2- osu
3- ucsd
4- u of col
5- Indiana
6- fred hutch
7- Pitt
8- Columbia

I also have vandy , ohsu and beth Israel and I'm agonizing on where to put them on this list.. Any input?? I know they should probably quite high.. Thanks!!

Didn't quite understand that .. If you were to rank them based on reputation and training , which would you rank higher?

Based on reputation alone, maybe Vandy deserves to be higher than OHSU. Based on location, apparent happiness of fellows, and recent transfer of some Vandy faculty to OHSU, I am actually planning on ranking OHSU higher

Hey guys
My list is

1-md Anderson
2- osu
3- ucsd
4- u of col
5- Indiana
6- fred hutch
7- Pitt
8- Columbia

I also have vandy , ohsu and beth Israel and I'm agonizing on where to put them on this list.. Any input?? I know they should probably quite high.. Thanks!!

I think I've shared my 2 cents already, but I don't know much about UCSD, UofColorado, BIDMC, or Indiana. If you're looking for any input at all as ROL are due, I'd go w/ the following...

MD Anderson > Vandy = OSU > OHSU > Fred Hutch (assuming you're not interested in BMT at all) > Pitt > Columbia.

I know Tyrosine Kinase had a very favorable impression of BIDMC earlier (despite interviewing at some stellar programs), so I'd also consider placing BIDMC #2 after MD Anderson.

If you're like me, it's just nice to use this site as a sounding board sometimes. I'm sad to see that the chatter has died down given how close we are to certifying our lists. Good luck!

So...I thought I was pretty set on my list last month, but I find that I'm still flipping back and forth on a couple of programs. Any thoughts at all on my list, anyone?!? I'm really struggling more than I thought I would w/ #2-5.

1. MSKCC
2. Duke
3. OHSU
4. UofMichigan
5. Vandy
6. WashU
7. UPitt

In particular, any thoughts about Duke vs UofMichigan? Any notable differences in academic reputation vs clinical training? cough..AuroraK ...cough, I know you interviewed at Duke. Want to give me a 2nd opinion? :oops:

By the way, OHSU is my dark horse in this race. I'm secretly hoping I drop to #3 on my ROL :xf:

And despite what I said before, I've found that sadly I AM easily influenced by a nice phone call/email from a PD....go figure :p

Hey guys
My list is

1-md Anderson
2- osu
3- ucsd
4- u of col
5- Indiana
6- fred hutch
7- Pitt
8- Columbia

Hmm, you have a lot of good programs here so I think its not unusual at all to be confused. If you want to do malignant heme, the Hutch should be way higher. Otherwise, I do think BIDMC should be fairly high given the quality clinical training. UCSD is a very basic science oriented program that is starting to build up a clinical program, so depending on your career goals you should rank them accordingly.

So...I thought I was pretty set on my list last month, but I find that I'm still flipping back and forth on a couple of programs. Any thoughts at all on my list, anyone?!? I'm really struggling more than I thought I would w/ #2-5.

1. MSKCC
2. Duke
3. OHSU
4. UofMichigan
5. Vandy
6. WashU
7. UPitt

In particular, any thoughts about Duke vs UofMichigan? Any notable differences in academic reputation vs clinical training? cough..AuroraK ...cough, I know you interviewed at Duke. Want to give me a 2nd opinion? :oops:

By the way, OHSU is my dark horse in this race. I'm secretly hoping I drop to #3 on my ROL :xf:

And despite what I said before, I've found that sadly I AM easily influenced by a nice phone call/email from a PD....go figure :p

I think Duke is great, probably slightly better than UM. Ive heard very good things about OHSU, so you may be warranted in secretly wanting to drop out of your top 3 (though I doubt youll leave your top 2 given the quality of programs on your list). But I would have to say your top 2 programs are probably the most complete on your list and I would probably have my rank list be similar to yours (maybe UM higher than OHSU, but Im really splitting hairs). Ive heard that OHSU has an excellent oncology teaching focus in training clinician educators, which also means you will probably get a quality education there.

Anyone else starting to feel it leading up to the match? Ive heard some friends in other specialties starting to get offers over the phone, or being told where they stand on peoples rank lists. Me, on the other hand, I havent really heard from anyone except a few post-interview "do you have any questions"

Ah well, Im just driving myself crazy I guess. Hope you guys are having a good Memorial Day weekend

I know Tyrosine Kinase had a very favorable impression of BIDMC earlier (despite interviewing at some stellar programs), so I'd also consider placing BIDMC #2 after MD Anderson.

I'm biased toward BIDMC, but I agree that placing it number 2 after MD Anderson is reasonable. Now if you don't like Houston, BIDMC might even be number one on that list. BIDMC is a program where you'll have access to amazing resources to shape your career.

Haha... me too. But I do try to take advantage of the match: ranking programs based on what I want, not guessing how programs will rank me... although it's nice to be wanted.

I do find that I have spent way too much time changing my rank list around, trying to consider all the pros and cons. Ultimately it probably won't matter where I end up. How I take advantage of the three years of fellowship matters much more than where I do it.

If anything, our experience taking care of cancer patients has probably taught all of us that there is much more to life than where we do our training. I am writing this on the oncology floor where a 40-year-old mother of two young boys are dying from metastatic lung cancer, where a college professor was diagnosed with esophageal cancer one month after his much-anticipated retirement. And a few floors down on the BMT floor, patients are even much younger and will be lucky to be alive come Christmas. That's the privelege of being an oncologist--we get to do cool science and get life lessons on a daily basis.

But... let me change my rank list one more time. :)

Last edited:
I think Duke is great, probably slightly better than UM. Ive heard very good things about OHSU, so you may be warranted in secretly wanting to drop out of your top 3 (though I doubt youll leave your top 2 given the quality of programs on your list). But I would have to say your top 2 programs are probably the most complete on your list and I would probably have my rank list be similar to yours (maybe UM higher than OHSU, but Im really splitting hairs). Ive heard that OHSU has an excellent oncology teaching focus in training clinician educators, which also means you will probably get a quality education there.

Thanks AuroraK! It's nice to have some validation about one's list. Although the actual ranking is quite personal, it's always appreciated when someone else is willing to indulge in your neurosis :laugh:

Haha... me too. But I do try to take advantage of the match: ranking programs based on what I want, not guessing how programs will rank me... although it's nice to be wanted.

I do find that I have spent way too much time changing my rank list around, trying to consider all the pros and cons. Ultimately it probably won't matter where I end up. How I take advantage of the three years of fellowship matters much more than where I do it.

If anything, our experience taking care of cancer patients has probably taught all of us that there is much more to life than where we do our training. I am writing this on the oncology floor where a 40-year-old mother of two young boys are dying from metastatic lung cancer, where a college professor was diagnosed with esophageal cancer one month after his much-anticipated retirement. And a few floors down on the BMT floor, patients are even much younger and will be lucky to be alive come Christmas. That's the privelege of being an oncologist--we get to do cool science and get life lessons on a daily basis.

:thumbup: well said...

Yeah..compared to their trouble, our decision on ranking list doesn't seem to be that difficult.

Good luck!

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts on the following programs?

- Rush vs Loyola

- Madison vs Ann Arbor

- MCW - Wisconsin
- Lutheran - IL
- Beaumont - MI

Thanks!

at Yale or U of Michigan, other than short replies to your thank you email?
Just curious..GL

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts on the following programs?

- Rush vs Loyola

- Madison vs Ann Arbor

- MCW - Wisconsin
- Lutheran - IL
- Beaumont - MI

Thanks!

Rush > Loyola

Ann Arbor >> Madison

Don't know much about the rest.

Hi everyone, New here to the forum. Was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me comment on the following? I thought I knew what I wanted but never thought the decision would be this hard. Not sure if I am just trying to second guess myself at the last minute because of nerves. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Good luck everyone.

MSKCC, DFCI, BI, UCSF

MSKCC and DFCI have the best protected time for research
BI probably has the best clinical training
UCSF has the best location but as mentioned before, a lot of inpatient time which I am not sure is so relevant for oncology during this day and age and the least amount of protected research time (actually it is comparable to BI)
My heart tells me MSKCC and the East Coast but my spouse really wants to move back West.

Was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me comment on the following?...

MSKCC, DFCI, BI, UCSF

MSKCC and DFCI have the best protected time for research
BI probably has the best clinical training
UCSF has the best location but as mentioned before, a lot of inpatient time which I am not sure is so relevant for oncology during this day and age and the least amount of protected research time (actually it is comparable to BI)
My heart tells me MSKCC and the East Coast but my spouse really wants to move back West.

I think it's easy: the key to happiness is listening to one's spouse. :)

I've heard the UCSF program leadership is aware of some fellows' unhappiness with the inpatient demand, so by the time we start, there might be less inpatient time. They seem to have a superb fellowship director.

The BI demands a few extra months of clinical responsibilities in the second year, but I think unless you're a basic science person, you can still do your clinical research during those months. In fact I think most of us who do clinical research, outcomes, etc... will start our research early in our first year anyway. But it is definitely nice to have more protected time.

If your wife didn't care about location, I agree that MSKCC would probably be a great place. I was blown away by the place. I just love it. Kind of an MD Anderson in a much better city. :)

Well guys.. It has been a great journey together. I wish everyone the best of luck. I hope you all end up where you would excel and reach your goals. Now is the wait time. Please don't forget to share with everyone where you are headed.