heme/onc competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dharmabum7

Allergy Imm Attending
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to get a heme-onc fellowship? What should I be looking for when I choose an IM programs? Is heme-onc a competitive fellowship ?

Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I can assure that Heme/Onc is nowhere near as competitive as Cardiology or GI. It is "moderately competitive" and assuming you go to a decent IM program, you will definitely find a spot somewhere. It might not be at MD Anderson, but you'll find a spot.

Sincerely, Frank

I noticed that not all the hospitals cited in the top 50 for Cancer in US News have heme-onc fellowships. Does anyone know what the top 10 Hem-Onc programs in the country are?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Maui
I noticed that not all the hospitals cited in the top 50 for Cancer in US News have heme-onc fellowships. Does anyone know what the top 10 Hem-Onc programs in the country are?

Just from reputation alone, you would think MSK, MD Anderson, Dana Farber and JHU would be among the top 10.

In 1996, Dana-Farber/Partners joined together three previously separate fellowship training programs at Massachusetts General Hospital, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and Brigham and Women's Hospital to create the combined Dana-Farber/Partners Adult Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Program. In early 1998, the combined program received a full, five-year accreditation from the Residency Review Committee in Internal Medicine of the American Council for Graduate Education.

This training program has quickly become one of the most highly sought after and selective in the nation. In the class that began in 2000, for example, nearly 240 physicians completed applications for the 14 available fellowships. The high caliber of the program is reflected in its fellows: all have completed top residency programs, a significant percentage have doctoral degrees, and many have received major grants from organizations such as the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, the American Society of Clinical Oncologists, and the National Institutes of Health. Notably, three of every four of the program's alumni have remained in academic medicine -- a higher percentage than any other fellowship program in the United States -- ensuring that their knowledge and expertise will be shared by others.

Uh-oh...