Heme/Onc in patients that don't need chemo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artefact

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does heme/onc play a role in managing patients with malignancies that aren't treated with chemotherapy, or are those patients entirely managed by surgical and radiation oncology?

Members don't see this ad.

Does heme/onc play a role in managing patients with malignancies that aren't treated with chemotherapy, or are those patients entirely managed by surgical and radiation oncology?

Yes. Surgery and Rad Onc tend to not follow patients closely for very long after treatment. About 25% of my solid tumor patients are people I haven't treated.

Yes. Surgery and Rad Onc tend to not follow patients closely for very long after treatment. About 25% of my solid tumor patients are people I haven't treated.

So for these patients are you basically a primary care provider?

Members don't see this ad :)
So for these patients are you basically a primary care provider?
surgery and radiation might not always cure these patients. This is why Hem/Onc follow them after surger/rad.

surgery and radiation might not always cure these patients. This is why Hem/Onc follow them after surger/rad.

Right, but in a patient with an active malignancy does heme/onc play the role of primary care?

Right, but in a patient with an active malignancy does heme/onc play the role of primary care?
as long as it's related to the malignancy. All other chronic illnesses (HTN, DM, etc) are referred back to the pt's primary care physician.

They can. I don't. I got better s*** to do with my time than dick around with BP and DM meds

lol..