1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Hemoglobin curve question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by redsoxfan, Aug 7, 2006.

1. redsoxfan

redsoxfan Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

There's a question on the Kaplan #4 exam that's really bugging me. I don't understand the "correct" answer and why I'm wrong. The gist is basically this: Compensatory mechanisms for acclimatizing to high altitudes would cause the Hb/O2 curve to shift: I said to the right, but the answer says to the left. What do you guys think??
    thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. geno2568

geno2568 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    the air has less O2, so their needs to be a higher affinity so that it can bind to it better in the lungs

4. ChymeChancellor

ChymeChancellor Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    I also got that wrong when I took it last spring. The answer I guess wants the compensatory mechanism.... So, to compensate for the lower O2 at the higher altitude, the curve shifts to the right so you will only need a lower pO2 to achieve the same saturation.

5. redsoxfan

redsoxfan Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

but wouldn't you want the little O2 you have to go to the tissues (ie less bound to Hb)?

6. redsoxfan

redsoxfan Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

ok apparently there was an error on the answer key. it does shift right. thanks anyhow :)

7. redsoxfan

redsoxfan Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i stand corrected. it is to the left b/c of compensatory hyperventilation causing decr CO2. i apologize to anyone who tried to correct me before.

8. kdburton

kdburton Ulnar Deviant
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hemoglobin saturation of O2 goes down with less O2 partial pressure. So at higher altitude (with lower O2 partial pressure) the curve shifts to the left.

9. Misfit!

Misfit! Ihate everything aboutyou
    10+ Year Member

10. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I remember being confused by that same question because I think I read in the bio review book that it would shift right (in chapter 8 i think). But a left shift makes more sense. :luck: