Hennepin County Medical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NuMD97

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to learn what the FP program at Hennepin is like. I know that it's a county hospital and a Level One trauma center, the first of its kind in Minnesota, and that it's been consistently listed on the US News and World Report's review as one of the best hospitals in the country. But beyond that there is scant information on the web about the program itself. Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

No takers, huh? That's what I was afraid of. Well, thanks anyway.

Please take this with an enormous grain of salt, but I believe the U of MN and its Fairview/University system does most of the really good stuff with FP in town. Hennepin is known for a few things (EM being the one I find it fun to brag about), but I don't know whether we really have a 'brand-name' FP thing going just now.

Over on Franklin Avenue, across the river from the campus and a few blocks from Riverside, the U has a neighborhood community clinic that trains awesome FP docs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. I will take it with an "enormous grain of salt", as you say. After I posted here I encountered a pediatrician who told me the program was a good one. I've met medical students from the "U" who did several rotations at Hennepin, and based on that, surprised themselves by selecting it as their first choice in the Match. The reviews I have read about several of its programs (ER included) have the same thread running through them: folks love coming to work at HCMC and find the specialties not in competition with each other as they are at other places. What a welcome change!

Good point. My perspective is really limited, as I started volunteering there while making my decision to ge back and be a non-trad premed; I work there now as a tech in the ED while I'm getting my act together. So it's the only hospital I've worked in, and the one I've seen the most from an observing/shadowing point of view.

These other places people talk about, with no computerized charting in the ED and verious services competing and slagging on each other... it's a mystery to my naive little self. Apparently I'm in a very unusual place. :D Questions about the hospital, the town, etc., feel free to PM me.