Hennepin Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hornet871

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sure, Hennepin's got a big, fancy name. Just say "Hennepin" aloud in a crowded room of EM applicants and people get goose bumps. Some of the girls get wet.

My interview day at Hennepin? After making the long flight out from my West Coast med school, I was interviewed by three people who HAVE ZERO STANDING in the residency program.

PD? "Sorry, pal, you don't get to meet him." Associate PDs (there are two at Hennepin)? "Sorry, pal, they're not interviewing today, either." So who do I get to meet? "Three nobodies, essentially."

One of my three interviewers, a man more interested in stuffing his face with cupcakes - and getting the cream smeared on his face (do you tell your interviewer to wipe the cream off his face or do you just try to avoid staring at it throughout?) - responded to one of my questions this way: "I really couldn't tell ya. I'm not in contact with the PD or the associate PDs. I don't know much about the residency program. I just work in the ED." He responded to the rest of my questions, of varied origin, with a shrug and a "Sorry, don't know anything about that, you'll have to talk to the PD," - who isn't here today!

Sweet.

Another of my interviewers spent the first five minutes of the interview asking illegal questions. He asked me my ethnicity (am I black? white? or mixed?), then asked about my marital status. He then asked why my last romantic relationship ended. Translation: are you a sh*tty lover?

This same interviewer then badgered me about my credentials. Did I really think I was qualified enough to interview at Hennepin? "As I'm sure you're aware, we can fill our entire class with AOA students if we want." As I'm sure you're aware, I can fill your entire a$$ with my foot if I want.

Listen, buddy, you frickin' invited me here. Obviously someone in your program thinks I'm qualified enough to get this far. If not, then would you like to reimburse me for my travel expenses from California? It's not as if I just happened to be in the area.

To top it off, the program coordinator herself was not present the day I interviewed. She had the day off, so a secretary-in-training filled in. She was totally clueless, and spilled coffee on one of the applicants (not me, thankfully).

Was this Hennepin's way of saying, "We really REALLY don't like you. Will you please take a hint?" If so, I would have preferred a rejection letter instead of an interview.

The upshot: Hennepin sucks. HARD. Arrogant, disorganized, very rude, not interested in selling themselves because they think they're all that.

Peace and love,

hornet OUT

Members don't see this ad.

Hornet, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience... but here's a thought:

Perhaps Hennepin invited you because they really liked you on paper, and didn't expect their interview to change much of an impression of you.

And what if it were a test to see how you react? I know of 3 program directors (1 of whom is EM) who monitors the SDN boards.

Be careful what you post on here... although from your post, I gather you wouldn't give Hennepin a chance in hell. So it probably doesn't matter to you anyhow.

Better to find out now how they are instead of going there and being miserable. If a program treats it's interviewees with such disrespect, imagine how they probably treat the residents.

I know, I know what is a path doc doing on EM forum...sorry I was bored. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, post-away greatpumpkin. Let the people at Hennepin know that they can't treat applicants like **** or run a half-assed interview day and still expect to fill their ranks.
You are obviously qualified to be there by receiving the interview in the first place. Therefore, the interview day is them trying to sell their program to you and not you trying to sell yourself to the program. It is just as important for them to fill their spots with the best candidates possible as it is for you to find the right match.
It says a lot to the candidates when the PD and the two associate PDs do not show up for the interview day. It is not as if their are that many. Most programs have 5-6 interview days. So if the PD etc do not make an effort to be there to meet and greet the candidates then their is something seriously deficient at the program. I wouldn't give them a second thought, just don't rank them....they aren't worth your time. It will send a message to them that you didn't like their program.
I know my program looks forward to having the candidiates come and visit and everyone especially the PD is present and welcoming each and every person. Because it says something to the candidates that he wants people to come to the program and that he is dedicated to making the program stronger every year. Good luck, I am sure you will find the right match.

Originally posted by jashanley
In my opinion, post-away greatpumpkin. Let the people at Hennepin know that they can't treat applicants like **** or run a half-assed interview day and still expect to fill their ranks.
You are obviously qualified to be there by receiving the interview in the first place. Therefore, the interview day is them trying to sell their program to you and not you trying to sell yourself to the program. It is just as important for them to fill their spots with the best candidates possible as it is for you to find the right match.
It says a lot to the candidates when the PD and the two associate PDs do not show up for the interview day. It is not as if their are that many. Most programs have 5-6 interview days. So if the PD etc do not make an effort to be there to meet and greet the candidates then their is something seriously deficient at the program. I wouldn't give them a second thought, just don't rank them....they aren't worth your time. It will send a message to them that you didn't like their program.
I know my program looks forward to having the candidiates come and visit and everyone especially the PD is present and welcoming each and every person. Because it says something to the candidates that he wants people to come to the program and that he is dedicated to making the program stronger every year. Good luck, I am sure you will find the right match.

This is the first complaint I've heard about Hennepin, but I have heard several complaints about two other "top" programs. That's why I think it's ridiculous when people rank or rant/rave about program prestige. My friend (an intern) did that, he is now at a top program and he's always miserable. The interview is a forced, "fake" impression. If they're dicks at the interview, they'll be super-dicks during the residency. You should expect nothing but great feeling, happy interviews, and then go digging for dirt from there.

mike

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm curious to hear about others' interview experiences at Hennepin. Frankly, I was surprised at how badly we interviewees were treated, because I had heard nothing but good things about Hennepin. I know two people from my med school last year who ranked it first but didn't match there.

Geek Medic asked:
And what if it were a test to see how you react? I know of 3 program directors (1 of whom is EM) who monitors the SDN boards.

If it is indeed a test, Geek Medic, then it is a piss-poor way of "testing" a candidate. I don't believe that interviews should be a hazing process.

Not only that, but it would be possible to "test" a candidate by treating him/her badly but ALSO give out information about the program in the process. That is, I'm all for slapping a guy in the face just to see how he reacts, but I'm also for answering his questions about the program.

Further, if there are going to be such fatuous "tests", they should at least be administered by the PD and/or associate PDs. I have been to six interviews so far, and in each and every program (save Hennepin) I met the PD and at least one associate PD. In four of these five non-Hennepin programs, I also interviewed with the PD. In the one non-Hennepin program in which the PD gave a speech but did not interview, we were all interviewed by TWO associate PDs, plus a junior faculty member.

Finally, if, as Geek Medic posits, this is a test that the PD is monitoring on SDN - a devious act that would be also remarkably immature and unprofessional - then I have a message for him: "Go f*ck yourself. Your test sucks, you suck, and your program sucks."

I guess some tests have no right or wrong answers.

As others have said, I really believe that we have to get over our shyness in posting our thoughts on this message board for fear that Big Brother PD is watching. Get an alias. Do you think my first name is Hornet? Use a false picture. Do you really think QuinnNSU is that hot? (If so, then hubba-hubba, I'll break my own arm and come to an ED near her.)

(For some reason, I was always under the impression that QuinnNSU was a dude. I know, I'm sexist.)

Hey, guys, tell us about your interview experience at Hennepin, or any other place.

Pathman, pumpkinman, please continue to read and contribute to our forum. We need cooler heads to prevail here. All of us hothead EM docs could take a page from your phlegmatic* approach. :)

And Quinn, MORE PHOTOS! SDN might have to create a new Quinn forum/gallery.

Yo,
Hornet Bartholomew Johnson OUTTIE

(Oops, I just revealed my real name - *gasp* - now all the PDs will know that I'm the one talking **** about them.)

*Not to insult anyone's intelligence, but before someone flips out about my making fun of pathologists, "phlegmatic" means calm, unemotional, etc. It doesn't mean snotty or phlegm-like or anything pejorative as used here. Most of you know this, but I had to be sure.

Hello all.

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience at Hennepin. As a first year in the EM residency at Hennepin, I find it extremely disturbing that you had such a bad experience. I think that for the most part, we are a laid back group of people, sometimes almost a little too laid back (ala cupcake on face). I'm not sure who you were interviewing with that badgered you, but rest assured that that is not usually the case here. In fact, the working environment here is great. I really don't think that we have a high opinion of ourselves, if that was the way we came across, I apologize. As for not being able to be interviewed by the PD or assistant PD, I'm not sure why that happened, usually they do at least one of the interviews. Soooo, sorry. If anyone has any questions or concerns about our program, feel free to write me at [email protected] and I'll give you an answer. Good luck and make sure that you enjoy the rest of your fourth year.

You know, the more that I think about this, the more it disturbs me. The whole illegal question thing I find extremely weird. My interview last year was the most nonconfrontational interview I had. Those of you who rank us highly will not regret the decision, I absolutely love it here...I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience.

Sounds canned.

I went to, arguably, the toughest military college in the country (and if you think that academics are the first and last part of "tough", you know nil about military college), and, many years ago, interviewed at Uniformed Services; there, EVERY SINGLE person had this big smile, and said, "You'll love it here!!", Stepford-wives style, and, even with my background, was still a little too much, in the scary way.

I get that same vibe.

And I went to the Hennepin EM website, and (besides finding it to be IE-friendly, and Netscape UNfriendly, which should be a clue to you there) was astounded by the homogeneity of the resident base.

It seems more than ironic that Hornet was asked about ethnicity, when, as I saw, there are one or two residents that are Native American, and one or two of Hispanic descent, and (unless I missed it) not one resident who was African-American. Granted, the match is a great equalizer, but, still, it seems as if everyone is either from the frozen midwest, or comes from there. EM is bending over backwards to get underrepresented people into it - even if Asians are not underrepresented in the general pool (see the AMCAS book), they are in EM; likewise for other minorities. If HCMC is interviewing minority people, they're not ranking them (either the people or the program). That is enough to scare me off.

So far, Hennepin gets the (dis)honor for heterogeneity in EM, whereas Mount Sinai gets my vote for diversity.

Originally posted by Geek Medic
I know of 3 program directors (1 of whom is EM) who monitors the SDN boards.

Be careful what you post on here...

I have nothing to lose, so I don't care (never have, never will) - if one walks on eggshells all the time, how does that affect your patient care, or advocacy? Any PD who prefers lockstep to individual thought is someone I'll pass by. Differing opinions bring progress - mutual admiration societies mire in mediocrity.

Why don't I care? Because, even if almost everyone can't stand you because you don't toe the party line, someone will appreciate you for the same exact reason. THAT is the guts of EM - that the right person for the job is whomever can get it done, without standing on formality. When life is at stake, nothing succeeds like success. And, if there's one thing that EM should be experts at, is resuscitation.

If a PD is off-put by my having depth to personality, and being willing to have opinions, has that PD looked around their ED recently? And my justification is the patients; all I know is, is they appreciate my care. That's why I'm here.

Hornet,
Sorry you had such a bad time at Hennepin. I also interviewed there (actually did a rotation there as well. I can honestly say that none of the things described happened while I was there. Dr. Brunette talked with us to begin the morning. We were interviewed by two other faculty members (not Dr. Brunette...although he was in his office between interviews to answer questions) and both were very nice...no illegal questions, no tests, no cupcake on the face.

As for the overall residency vibe, most everyone is very down to earth. The sphincter tone might be higher at HCMC than some other programs, but I was never treated poorly or subjected to ridicule for being from a small midwestern state school. In fact I stayed with one of the residents while I was there, and she was extremely nice.

Apollyon...consider this, to have diversity in a program, the program needed qualified minority students to not only apply, but to rank the program highly. I'm no expert on racial tendencies, but could it be that Euro-American students who grew up in Minnesota are more likely to want to stay there, than Afro-American or other minority students to want to move there. Minneapolis has a very diverse population, including large Hmong, Somali, and Hispanic populations, but I am relatively sure that Euro-Americans still make up the vast majority of Minnesotans.

In closing, Hornet, I hope that your other interviews go better. To Apollyon and others, it would be wise to visit a program before you pile on. As for myself, after spending 4 weeks in the department, I know why HCMC has such a high profile name...it's because they truly have one of the best residency programs you could find. They will be at or mear the top of my rank-order list.

Originally posted by jaydoc3
but could it be that Euro-American students who grew up in Minnesota are more likely to want to stay there, than Afro-American or other minority students to want to move there. Minneapolis has a very diverse population, including large Hmong, Somali, and Hispanic populations,

What I said was that they're not ranking them (either the people or the program) , which means the applicants ranking the program, or the program ranking the applicants. Canada (in Alberta and Saskatchewan) has a HUGE Caribbean population, so it's not a temperature thing. But I know a resident who matched at Maimonides in Brooklyn, who saw only one other person of color, and felt WAY out of place.

Am I "piling on"? Of course, some will agree, and some not. All I know is what I see. Nothing is more true than the truth. My point is, there is little heterogeneity at Hennepin. I am making NO assumptions or assertions why (besides the aforementioned 'ranking' part).

I am aware of the Somali connection in Minnesota - but what does "large" connote? Enough to get a council member elected? Here in NYC (with a huge city council), being Hispanic, or African-American, or Polish, or Jewish is enough to get elected in many districts.

I don't know. I just know that it isn't happening, and, one thing I can guarantee is that this is killing the administration at HCMC, trying to change this.

Euro-Americans? I prefer to just be called an American. If any one else wants to be a hyphenated American, go ahead, but I'll just be the real deal. Besides, Norwegian-Swedish-English-French-American is a real mouthful. Regarding diversity, there are many ways to be diverse other than by having a little more melanin in your skin. How can you complain about diversity in a specialty that is 80% male? Seems like that is the biggest diversity problem in EM today. Especially in a specialty that should be a huge draw for women interested in having time with their children (or men for that matter.) I would submit that no specialty has the potential to be more family friendly than EM. At any rate, the last thing I'm looking at when I go on an interview is the skin color of the residents. I'm looking to see if they're people I want to work with and what kind of an education they're getting. I'll be interviewing at Hennepin here soon so I'll take a look myself. I think it is safe to say that if I go there I won't be chillin' with Hornet or Apollyon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Desperado
If any one else wants to be a hyphenated American, go ahead, but I'll just be the real deal.

"The real deal"? So people that hold on to part of their roots are not 'real Americans'? I'll tell my Italian-American, decorated NYPD officer friend that.

Even if that's not what you meant, it's what you said. If it IS what you meant, then, well, that's you. If you think that there's more to diversity than race, you're right, but most patients (who do not have graduate degrees or household incomes >$100K/year) don't see much beyond that, because there isn't opportunity to talk with their doctors in the ED. Sure, your training will be fine, but diversity is the core of the US. You seem to not see the big picture.

And you, by taking the conservative tack, do the dirty work of Hennepin. At your other 27 interviews, did you/are you/will you do the same thing?

Nobody says you can't hold on to your roots and not be an American. One of the great things about America is that you can come here, have the freedom to retain your heritage, and gain another one, the heritage of liberty and freedom. I submit that that common heritage, not the diversity of our own unique backgrounds, is the core of the US. The diversity is an added bonus.

Sorry about doing the dirty work of Hennepin. Didn't mean to step on their toes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "do the same thing," but if you mean defending programs from such constructive criticism as "ZERO STANDING,"
"PD who prefers lockstep to individual thought,"
"the (dis)honor for heterogeneity in EM," and
"this is killing the administration at HCMC, trying to change this,"
I'll probably keep doing it.

By way of apology, if people want to be called Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, African-Americans, or even Euro-Americans, well, that's fine and I'll do it. But I think we'd be a lot more united in this country if we just stuck with Americans. Tell your NYPD friend thanks by the way.

BTW, What was the big picture I missed?

I agree. The moment we quit holding on to our hyphenated identities and just become "Americans" will be the moment we experience true unity.

Power to the people brotha!

Originally posted by Desperado
...At any rate, the last thing I'm looking at when I go on an interview is the skin color of the residents. I'm looking to see if they're people I want to work with and what kind of an education they're getting...

Desperado, maybe you really should look at the skin color of the residents during your interviews, and perhaps the applicants, nursing staff, physicans, and patients as well. if you never become sensitive, or even knowledgable, of your environment, then you will never truly understand what it is to be an American- you know, being as real as you are...we are fortunate to have such a diverse community amongst us, yet we often shy away from learning about other people, including why it may be important for some minority applicants to see other minorities when they interview. for me, it simply means that that program embraces diversity.

just yesterday, i had the very best interview imaginable. although against the rules of ethics, i actually had an intelligent conversation with a PD about being an african-american in medicine and the specific struggles that i may have to deal with during a residency- especially at programs where i may be the only or one of the few black residents. yes, we are all people, and yes we should be mature enough to make friends with everyone, but honestly people first tend to migrate towards people/ideas where they feel comfortable. and whether its right or wrong, unfortunately outward appearances are the first things we use to generalize people.

True. I can't say I disagree with any of that. And actually since having that conversation, I have been looking at the diversity among the different residency programs. I must also admit that a big part of what I do at interviews is try to find residents I fit in with. Although it is more important to me what outdoor activities they like to do than what their skin color is, I must confess, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable at a program where I was the only "Euro-American." (See, I'm getting the hang of this already.) We may never reach the ideal color-blind society, where race truly doesn't matter, but I still think we should hold it as our goal.

Anyways, back to the original question regarding Hennepin sucking. Hornet wanted everyone's $0.02. I was interviewed by a minority faculty member, met the three minorities and three women in their PGY1 class, and saw no one with cupcake on their face. Although I only interviewed with an associate program director, I did have the opportunity to meet both the coordinator and the residency director. Hornet, I think you just caught them on a particularly bad day.

In summary, they didn't roll out the red carpet like some places might do, such as two programs I know of in Western Michigan, but it was certainly an average interview day with regards to how they treated the applicants. As far as the quality of the program, the faculty, and the residents, I found them worthy of their highly regarded reputation, the faculty in particular. I would tell everyone not to cancel an interview or rank them lower based on Hornet's experience. They are at least as diverse as other midwest programs.

I interviewed at HCMC, and found that it was a very strong program - the Residents seem happy, during observation I saw that the 3rd yrs run the traumas and appear confident. There are a lot of intelligent people there. They also know that they are a strong program and are confident in themselves. There are 3 35-40min interviews which are mostly you asking questions of them, very benign, and the questions I was asked were all reasonable - why EM? why Minnesota? What else do you do? type stuff. The only different (not necessarily difficult) question I was asked was: Describe a tragic event in your life and how you handled it. I think things went prettty well.
I'm interested in hearing from the rest of you on the trail!
:)

Overall, was very impressed with this program.

Residents: It's a 3 year program, I think with 11 EM residents per class. They just started EM/IM last year, 2 per class. Residents are happy and down to earth. Most are from the midwest, but there are some from the coasts too. It seemed like most married or have significant others, with singles mixed in. A lot of people showed up to lunch and the social events, which I took as a good sign.

Shifts: Have to admit, I didn't pay a lot of attention. They do not work 12s, which is all I care about. The ED is split up into three areas- A,B,C, where A is the most sick patients, B is ortho and mod sick people (abd pain, vag bleeding), and C is designated for pediatrics and minor acuity. Interns work shifts in all three areas, so they are seeing sick patients.

Facilities: This is probably the nicest county ED I have ever seen. Lots of space, modern, a separate area for traumas called the stabilization area with 4 spacious trauma bays. The ED is entirely paperless, and everything is done on the computer. Some places I have visited say they are paperless, but use paper to admit, or use a t-sheet or something. Not the case here.

Peds: Most of the peds experience is out of the C area, which is also mixed in with adult minor complaints. C shifts are combined in through the entire residency though, so you see kids continously. It is a peds level 1 trauma center. They also do a peds floor month. Some of the residents said this was the weakest part of the program.

Trauma: Is awesome here. Surgery is a consult service only, which I haven't seen at other programs. So the ED is running the show for ALL traumas, is not sharing with surgery every other day or whatever. There is no trauma team- the ED pages surgery when they feel it is necessary. The ED third year runs the entire trauma every time and handles the airway. The ED 2nd year does procedures like lines, chest tubes, and the intern starts an IV and helps out. They seem to get a good amount of trauma, both blunt and penetrating.
Anesthesia is never called for airway. They have all of the fancy toys for airway.

Faculty: There are 3 on per shift, 1 overnight. They have some big names here. The faculty I interviewed with were very nice and relatable, and the residents say they love the faculty. Journal Club every month is at a faculty house.

Curriculum: I really like the curriculum here, especially because of the third year. The third year is the pit boss, and oversees all patients in one area, so we are talking up to 15-20 or so. The interns, second years, and students present to the pit boss, and the pit boss works with the the attending. The PD said this experience really allows for residents to increase the amount of patients they see and helps them learn how to run an ED, which I agree with.
They have good autonomy on their MICU and SICU (they do neurosurgery for SICU). As a second year, you take call for the ICU patients (including the neurosurg patients) with the attending as back up. On the MICU, they have an ED team- made up of ED residents only, staffed by a critical care doc obviously. Otherwise the curriculum is fairly standard- ob, surg, etc. They do a few months at a community hospital that is also a level 1 trauma center

Patient Pop: County- white, AA, native american, hispanic, somali. Many do not have insurance. They do see sick patients- admit rate is above average.

Location: Minneapolis seems like good place. It is cold in the winter, which would be the worst part for me. Residents go out downtown and to other areas around the city. Lots of theatres, some museums, pro sports teams. It is not bad cost wise at all- many residents own. Apparently beautiful in the summer with lots of outdoor stuff going on.

Other major Positives not listed elsewhere:
1. ULTRASOUND! they have a great ultrasound program here. They have like
4-5 nice machines. They u/s everything. Recently they installed this wireless system where every ultrasound you do is sent to a computer in the department where every u/s is saved. The PD wants to create a CD with every U/S you've ever done as a resident when you graduate. He said you will do 1000+ u/s as a resident. There are faculty who pioneered u/s in EM here, so most are very comfortable with it.
2. Research- pretty academic place with big research names. It is very easy for residents to do projects here, many present at conferences, many publish.
3. Free parking, free meals.
4. Conferences apparently are pretty good and well attended. Many residents talked about it.

Dowsides:
1. Peds- according to residents.
2. cold winters

Overall: Terrific program- lots of autonomy and responsibility. You will get a lot of experience here with sick patients and decision making, and will get to run a lot of traumas. The ultrasound is top-notch. Definitely deserves its reputation.

I am happy to elaborate more about the places I interviewed...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Denver: (+): amazing program, amazing location, 4th years blew me away managing ED. (-): almost no elective time
2) Hennepin: (+): very surgery-based program, Pitbosses run the ED 3rd year, critical care emphasis. (-): Minnesota.
3) Highland: (+): autonomous training, great group of people, nice location, self-sufficient residents. (-): unsure about strength of off-service rotations.
4) MGH/BWH: (+): great city, great resources, phenomenal international health program. (-) young program, 1 million potential consultants to be called
5) New Mexico: (+): great program, super nice people, SICK patients, nice outdoor recreation nearby, critical care strong. (-): location seemed a little ghost-townish for me, issues with movement of pts through department & flow
6) UMichigan: (+): huge critical care, no medicine wards, diverse training sites. (-): not a huge fan of the location/weather, worried about the # of consultants that could be called.
7) Bellevue: (+): big time autonomy, self-sufficient residents, reputation. (-) I am a little intimidated about the idea of living in Manhattan .
8) Maine: (+): the most friendly people ever, location. (-) seemed a little cushy for me
9) BMC: (+): location, underserved patient population, lots of trauma. (-): 2-4, PGY2s do ALL procedures in dept.
10) OHSU: (+): location. (-): didn't gel with the people
11) UC Davis: (+): sick pts. (-): nothing really set them apart, location
12) UCSF Fresno: (+): Yosemite, nice people. (-): couldn't really see value of 4th year, living in Fresno.
13) Stanford: (+): Paul Auerbach, lots of resources, bay area. (-): pts not sick enough, a little too academically snooty for me
14) BIDMC: (+): location. (-): unfriendly, extremely academically snooty people
15) Indiana: (+): fantastic program. (-): location

I also interviewed for the UVM Preliminary Medicine Year and the Transitional year at UC San Diego, so feel free to ask me about those...

Please note: the (+) and (-) are only my opinion. I'm sure there are several other people who had totally different experiences and therefore completely opposite opinions (which is why the match works!)

I rotated and interviewed at Hennepin. I will evaluate the residency program first from the perspective of an interviewee, and will then provide comments about the rotation specifically.

Program
: Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC)

Residents: A very nice, friendly, welcoming group - This is emergency medicine, and it's Minnesota to boot so that's double nice and friendly. Residents occasionally go out for drinks after work, and they certainly see each other outside of work for parties, etc. There's a healthy mix of married and single people. I got to know a few of the seniors pretty well as I probably presented to them 50% of the time and I thought they were great to work with. Most are from the Midwest although there is definitely representation from the rest of the country. The pre-interview dinner was very well attended and since it was held at one of the resident's houses it was a great chance to get to know everyone.

Faculty: A rather large group due to the fact that they provide triple coverage for most of the day. Very nice, pleasant to work with, and also very busy because most are fully staffing each patient rather than eyeballing them. They give the residents a lot of responsibility and work with the senior residents very closely. They stick up for their residents if there are any problems with other services or with ancillary staff (I witnessed neither). True resident advocates who enjoy working in a teaching role. One resident said "our staff are very protective of the residents," and I think this is very true. A couple are quirky and take some getting used to. There is one in particular that the residents love but gives is difficult to work with according to the students.

Facility: HCMC is a very nice place and looks like a nice private hospital inside. It takes up 2 city blocks, with a myriad of adjoining clinics, towers, etc. It's one stop shopping for patients who receive their care at HCMC and you won't be getting any experience transferring patients to other hospitals. The ED is set up as three pods plus the Stab room: Team Center A (sickest, ambulance receiving), Team Center B (less sick – abd pain, vag bleeders, other walk ins), team center C (peds and the least sick), and Stab (pronounced "Stabe", short for stabilization room, for critical patients). Thereare 5 ortho rooms attached to team center B that are staffed for half the day by an EM resident on "ortho ED month". Finally Special Care is a 10 bed pod for ETOH and psych patients. The ED is beautiful - new, bright, clean, professional. Everything works. Totally computerized medical record. Paperless – i.e. there are no "charts" in the sense of a clipboard. They use EPIC and type their notes either with a universal template or freeform. Very easy to look up past medical records which it seemed like 75% of patients had in the system. Old EKGs, labs, etc at your fingertips. Everything works and works well. Critically ill patients go up to the units as soon as the stabilization is done without exception and their bed is typically assigned at 10 minutes into the case. Floor patients go up in about 2-3 hours usually but not longer than 6 hours.

Ancillary Services: RNs and Techs are excellent. Well staffed, no nursing shortage, mostly hard workers, on top of their patients, collegial relationships with the residents. They are super busy but they get stuff done.

Patients: All comers, Very diverse. Many poor, but the fair share of working and middle class. Some African American, tons of Hispanic, and Samali to round things out. No shortage of urban issues, but remember the drunks and psych patients have their own locked pod so the ED is pretty quiet. Great mix of pathology. Tons of ambulance patients – rigs are owned by HCMC and it is of course the base station so the R3 answers calls out of Team Center A. Some helicopter patients but not a ton.

Clinical Training: The R3 "pit boss" is in charge of Team Center A only or Team Center B plus all Stabs. This is the jewel of the program – R3's are either running their pod or managing a critically ill patient. They do not see patients primarily or write full H and P's – the MS, R1, or R2 does this. R3's take presentations from the medical students and R1's, and see every patient in the department. After faculty sees the patient they discuss with the R3. Often times, the faculty and R3 see a bunch of patients separately and then do rounds together. R3's work very tightly with the faculty. R2's don't do formal presentations but do "touch base" with the R3. MS, R1, and R2's get to interact with faculty some but it felt like less than at other programs.

The ED is very busy, and since all the hospital systems work well, patients are cranked through rather quickly. R2's get their chance to run Team Center B for about 5 hours on their overnight shifts when there is only 1 pit boss and 1 attending for the whole ED. R2's point to this as a formative experience. R1's (both of and on service) have dedicated shifts in Special Care where they are the only resident for those patients. Interns say they like this because it gives them experience running a pod, making autonomous decisions, and working independently.

The ED has tons of autonomy and is very well respected by the rest of the hospital. Consultants are rarely called. In the past anesthesia has come to the department on only a few occasions: when they are patients themselves and when they are responding to mass casualties. All but the most complicated reductions are done by EM residents. EM runs trauma until they decide to hand off to surgery. EM does the crics and thoracotamies (I saw neither)

Didactic Training: "Stab conference" is the first 90 minutes of the 5 hour block and is extremely well attended by the majority of faculty. Usually they go though about 4 critical cases. Formal, but friendly with good conversation. R3 presents the stab cases and the attending on the case adds in ad lib. The next 3.5 hours are the usual didactics, which are very well done. It is all videotaped and can be viewed on the web anytime.

Peds: The Peds shifts are integrated through all 3 years. No pit boss role here – the R3's present to the attendings as do all other residents and medical students. This is bread and butter Peds EM – you're not going to see lots of critically ill kids or pediatric zebras. But, since it's the same faculty you have tons of responsibility and are not having to "fit in" with another group of residents at a different institution. It's a trade off.

US: Outstanding. 5 Very nice US machines which are in constant use. The US feeds directly into PACS to be part of the medical record and into a Mac in the doctor's station for QA review. They have a few US fellows who do QA with the residents. They do their own pelvic US but do sometimes send patients for the formal if unsure.

Research: Dr. Miner is a very active and enthusiastic research director. Hennepin has a long history of great research.

Other Curriculum Stuff: HCMC houses the poison center but the in-service tox is at Regions. The residents (I don't remember if it's R2's or R3's) take call for Hyperbarics and dive with the critically ill patients. There is no flight experience save ride along opps. The Community EM months are at North Memorial which sees the most penetrating trauma in Minneapolis. Regions residents also rotate there. Regions and Hennepin R2's can do a month switch where they work at the other institution for 1 month.

Location: The Twin Cities are awesome. Yeah, it's cold and in the summer there's bugs. But cost of living is moderate and the city is very livable with outstanding public services. I could maybe afford a house on a cul-de-sac with a yard for the dogs and a 20 minute commute. Although it's not the Rockies or Sierras, there's lots of recreational opportunities and tons of fun stuff to do. People are friendly. It's easy to live here.

Strengths: Pit Boss role gives you experience running a department, in house integrated peds shifts, ED autonomy in trauma and ortho, tons of experience teaching students both in and out of the ED, great pathology mix, awesome prehospital, great reputation, lots of research going on. Finally - good progression of responsibility with R1's getting occasional shifts in special care, R2's as the overnight senior in Team Center B, and R3's as pit boss, all comers ED which sees everything, great ethnic diversity, strong critical care exposure.

Weaknesses: Really nitpicking here. Integrated peds – while you get great exposure to bread and butter you'll miss the sickies and zebras that will mostly be going to the 2 other kids hospitals in town. Pit Boss structure – as an R1 or R2 you won't be intubating in the ED except in unusual circumstances as all critical cases (including those that spiral downward after starting in Team Center A or B) will be sent to the Stab room where the R3 does airway. R2's do however get to do lines in the stab room and they get their off service procedures as well so aren't really left wanting. The trade off is as an R3 you are intubating like mad. R1's and R2's may get slightly less time with the attendings than at programs where there's no supervisory senior resident experience but I think this trade off is worth it. No helicopter. Again, I found these disadvantages to be very minor.

Rotation Specifics
: Great rotation – I would highly recommend it. As a student, you have a moderate level of responsibility – not as much as some places I rotated, but more than others. You see patients, present to the R3 or attending, then put in orders yourself and go from there. No one is going to tell you that you can only carry a certain amount of patients, and you can really push yourself if you want. In Team Center A, you pick up some really sick patients, but you won't be intubating or putting in central lines (I had done this on other rotations so this didn't matter to me but it might to you). Residents are friendly and it's a great working atmosphere. Attendings are generally receptive to working with students as well, but if you are in Team Center A or B you must be aggressive to get some of their attention. Team Center C is a great place to get to know attendings as you present directly to them. Most of the R3's enjoy working with students and do some good teaching, but at times they are slammed and don't have much time. Both attendings and R3's are used to all types of medical students because this is a required rotation for University of Minnesota students. As a career track student, you stand out because you are more interested but it's harder to get to the faculty because they are used to having tons of students around and having the R3 deal with them. If you're not quick enough, the R3's are so good they will see the patient before you and put in orders - so you've got to be fast in order to get first crack at the patient. There's an awesome procedure lab on a live, sedated sheep where you do intubations, I/O, transtracheal needle ventilation, central lines, thoracotomy, etc. There was a constant flow of patients so I almost never found myself waiting around to get another patient. The standouts of this rotation were: getting to push myself in Team Center A handling multiple very sick patients, learning to use a totally electronic record, diversity in patients and cases, working with some well known attendings who were all super-nice, getting to see how the stab room runs, and getting to attend the stab cases.

Overall: This is an awesome program with a well deserved reputation – an awesome place to train and a great place to rotate as a student. I felt I was in a truly special place and I would be very excited to train here. I plan to rank it very highly.

Here are some quick facts about programs from last year of interviewing. I tried to be non-biased as possible, but sometimes I threw in some subjective comments. Hope this helps.

FYI, some things may have changed at programs so be sure to ask.

Christiana - 3 years, 12 EM residents/year (+3 EM/IM and 2 EM/FM), 9 hr shifts with 1 hr overlap, 40 hr/wk as intern, 1 mo of night shifts with minimal night shifts on other ED months, >110k volume at main hospital with 72 beds, ~200k combined volume, 5 hrs lecture/week, daily morning conference, monthly animal lab, 1 month orientation, dedicated CT and radiology dept, OR in the ER, $200 mil expansion of Wilmington hospital by 2011, EM gets airway AND procedures in trauma, no anesthesia residents to intubate, no ortho/ENT/NS/optho residents either, fellowships in admin/EMS/US, 6 U/S machines with great U/S faculty, $49k as R1, 6 mo of ICU rotations over 1st two years, interns work >1/2 shifts at Wilmington, no floor months, no state sales tax, 30-45 min to Philly, 1 hr to Baltimore, 2 hours to DC/NY, 90 min to Atlantic City, moonlighting available

Hennepin - 3 years, 11 residents (+2 EM/IM)/yr, 9 hr shifts, >100k volume, very little floor months but surgery heavy, 2 mo neurosurgery as R2, believer in "graduated responsibility" (AKA delayed gratification) so that as R1 you don't have many duties but by R3 you are running the dept, "pitboss" as R3 with no note responsibility, free food, 4 stabilization rooms with U/S mounted on each bay, airways only as R3, 12 U/S machines total which are directly linked to PACS, U/S tech hired to teach residents, EM on ALL traumas and surgery as consult, 1 mo community experience, OB/gyn involves inpt and outpt care, EMR (Epic), sim lab integrated into curriculum, great EMS relationship, 1 wk hospital orientation and 2 wk EM orientation, hyperbaric chamber

Brown – 4 years, 12 residents/yr, >100k volume, brand new ED with cath lab, 2 CT scanners, 72 beds with 6 crit care beds, awesome sim lab 1 day/mo, no boarding in the ED (is that possible?), strong peds EM program, large amount of trauma since they are the only show in town from New Haven to Boston, strong U/S program with fellowship available, 4.5 mo electives, trauma surg without scut work, conferences supposed to have more small group discussion this upcoming year, 20-22 shifts/mo, 9 hr shifts with 1 hr overlap, great international EM, 75 full-time facult, $50k salary as intern

Yale – 4 years, 12 residents/yr, 1 full month orientation, stong U/S program, 12 hour shifts, 18-20/mo as intern, 6 mo crticial care over residency, tox month at NYU Bellvue, 2 hours sim lab per month, 6 mo elective time, $51k as intern

USC – 4 years, 17 residents/yr, 12 hour shifts, 20? shift/mo, top-notch U/S program with over 20 machines, 12 resus bays, tons of procedures, EM has ALL hospital codes, work in the underground jail ED, excellent teaching with tons of videos uploaded every month, attendings doen’t write notes so that have more time to teach, observation unit run by attendings and NPs, new hospital with good facilities, no EMR using all paper notes but plans to upgrade

Highland – 4 years, 10 residents/yr, one month EM orientation, awesome U/S training with 2 U/S fellows, county program, great salary, uses EMR, ski cabin in Tahoe that residents share, one month off per year, 3 informal teaching session in the ED per day, free food all the time, no OBS unit so you must admit all low risk chest pain, rotate though many hospitals (Kaiser, UCSF, Children’s, SFGH), ortho rotation includes time in OR, great tox month at SFGH, weaker IM program can be frustrating

Carolinas - 3 years, 14 residents/yr, >100k volume, very nice hospital, only 1 hospital to rotate through, labs results broadcast to free PDA, didactics daily with free lunch and protected on off-service rotations, fellowships in tox/EMS/US/peds/research, large amount of off-service rotations but I was reassured that they are important, $45k/yr as intern, no EMR but orders by computer coming soon, no orientation month, 4.5 resus bays, no direct medical school affiliation, residents go to SAEM 2nd year and ACEP 3rd year

UMass - 3 years, 12 residents/yr, no medicine floor months but lots of ICU, 10 hr shifts, 20-22 shifts/mo, 5 u/s trained attendings and 8 toxicologists, volume 80-90K and growing, 200+ million dollar ED, new CT scanner, located in worcester (pronounced wooster), helicopter medicine - one month in PGY1 with a 2 or 3 running the show (the bird never flies without a resident) but can be grounded often in winter, every U/S is recorded and Q/A'd by U/S doc, likely elimination of PGY3 elective to Hawaii with free housing/car, 45-60 min from boston, plenty of trauma with all procedures/airway being done by EM residents, residents can moonlight in the ICU starting 2nd yr, 5 hours weekly of didactics, computer tracking system with labs/rads results but orders/vitals/nursing notes/MD notes are all paper and then scanned into computer that you can pull up later if needed.

Vanderbilt – 3 years, 12 residents/yr (increased by 1 this year), no floor months, 1 hr lecture each morning by PD or chair of EM, 1 month orientation with reduced ED shifts and great teaching, awesome EMR, >100,000 combined volume of main hospital and children’s, teaching by U/S fellowship trained EM physician, >3k level 1 traumas/yr, video review for each trauma, 2 BS toxicologists, ED radiology 24 hrs/day, emergency cardiologist in ED, 6 wks community ED, moonlighting allowed, 2 CT scanner, 4 active trauma bays, 10 hr shifts as R1, great sim lab with 1 day/mo, Keeping Up! (EBM review website) run by attendings, $49k as R1, fellowships for EMS/international health/peds, no anesthesia residents/attg necessary for PSA, tons of airway devices, evals p every shift/month/6mo, great EMS relationship

Necrobump. I graduated from Hennepin not too long ago and am happy to answer any questions about the program itself. The current PD is very responsive to resident needs and is willing to make changes for the better. I feel like we received world-class training, and going up against other recent graduates, you can tell the difference. You work long hours and are very busy on-shift, but you see a ton of very sick, underserved patients and will be superbly-trained in emergency medicine. I stand by the statement that the pit boss year means you see as many patients in 3 years as you would at a 4 year program, with more autonomy and critical care experience. You'll be well-trained to work single-coverage or in any setting coming out of HCMC.

I cannot comment about recruiting or help you get an interview/audition spot, but I'm happy to chat about the quality of the program itself. Cheers

Last edited:
I feel like we received world-class training, and going up against other recent graduates, you can tell the difference.

Have you been....?fighting? graduates from other programs?

Reactions: 1 user
Also happy to answer questions about the program, training, etc. Love it here.

Yea, a great way to represent your program is dumping on your colleagues.

Yea, because we should just pretend that all programs are the same and that differences in training don't matter.

Training is variable and there is a tangible difference between training at a top 10 program that's 40+ years old and a brand-new HCA-sponsored residency at a level 2 trauma center.. Differences matter.

Thanks for meaningfully contributing to this thread.

Last edited:
Yea, because we should just pretend that all programs are the same and that differences in training don't matter.
We get it. We understand.

Reactions: 1 users

Training is variable and there is a tangible difference between training at a top 10 program that's 40+ years old and a brand-new HCA-sponsored residency at a level 2 trauma center in BFE, Florida*. Differences matter.

Thanks for meaningfully contributing to this thread.

FTFY. Alabama didn’t deserve the hate.

Am I "piling on"? Of course, some will agree, and some not. All I know is what I see. Nothing is more true than the truth. My point is, there is little heterogeneity at Hennepin. I am making NO assumptions or assertions why (besides the aforementioned 'ranking' part).

I am aware of the Somali connection in Minnesota - but what does "large" connote? Enough to get a council member elected? Here in NYC (with a huge city council), being Hispanic, or African-American, or Polish, or Jewish is enough to get elected in many districts.
Looks like "large" connotes a Somali-American getting elected to Minneapolis' district for the House.
#IlhanOmar

I interviewed at Hennepin and loved it. That was more than 10 years ago. I was treated well and almost ranked them 1st. ...almost...but I loved uic more ....who didn’t love me as much ...I sometimes fantasize how my life would have turned out if I had ranked Hennepin higher... oh well...

....anyway, the original post was hilarious....did that really happen?

Training is variable and there is a tangible difference between training at a top 10 program that's 40+ years old and a brand-new HCA-sponsored residency at a level 2 trauma center.. Differences matter.

We get it. We understand.

@doggydog and others (not picking on doggydog) -

@Fox800 's point shouldn't be disregarded, even though it may make some of us insecure and uncomfortable. Even before the "HCA-residency" nonsense, there was a huge difference in the quality of EM training programs.

This forum loves the comforting idea that all RRC-approved EM programs train to some undefined "adequate" standard. Even ten years ago this was obviously not true. If anyone doubts me, look at the now defunct DO EM programs. There were plenty of similarly inadequate allopathic programs.

If there is any benefit to the new HCA-programs, it may be that these programs clarify for the Pollyanas that not all EM programs train adequately.

Please, dear applicants and employers, consider this fact carefully. Our specialty's reputation is dependent.

HH

It’s quite obvious that some programs are better than others. We all know this.

Most applicants don’t get the choice between Hennepin and the lesser programs. The people interviewing at Hennepin are usually the ones also interviewing at cook, vandy, cinci, etc. so it’s usually not a choice between good and bad programs. Let’s stop acting like the bragging was intended to prevent someone from ranking a new hca program with lesser training over Hennepin.

Ehhhh I wouldn't be so sure.

For instance applicants interviewing at Hennepin often also have interviews at places like Oregon and Washington.

Many on this forum will have you believe that you'll receive high quality clinical EM training at both programs.

Recently interviewed here, here's what I thought/found:

Hennepin: I LOVED this program if it wasn’t for the location. Like LAG+USC, has all ED procedures, including all trauma (except split chest tubes on even/odd days) and ortho procedures. They run the show here. Decent volume, high acuity. 3-year program with a shift reduction, but work a lot. Graduated responsibility. As PGY1, you do all procedures for your patient that you pick up (but usually aren’t picking up actively crashing patients); PGY2 also go to STAB room for procedures; PGY3 pit-boss role as supervisory and run all STAB room cases. ROBUST (like top-notch) ultrasound division with nerve blocks, TEE, etc.. Strong EM-CCM pipeline, but all residents who pursued CCM stayed at Hennepin. Nights are stringed together (5-6 straight). All shifts 8 hours. Lots of research available if desired! Moonlighting at PGY2.