Hepatitis C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgeon11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens if a resident or fellow acquires hepatitis C via a needlestick during their training?

Will you be able to continue training? If you go through treatment and clear the virus, is your future practice in jeopardy?

Members don't see this ad.

good question.
I think you can still practice but have to disclose your hep c status to patients. not sure if this is individually, or how its expected.
some institutions test you pre-employment and may not even let you on staff.
I wonder if there are really "cures" from hep c, remission maybe.

If you get hep c as a surgeon, Probably your best bet is to just go into liver transplant surgery. all those patients have hep c anyway.
plus you can make contacts to help get up higher on the liver allocation list when its your turn like Steve Jobs.(yes I know he didnt have Hep c)

this is not an uncommon problem unfortunately. there are strict guidelines as to what procedures a resident can and can't do if they are infected with a blood borne illness and it depends on viral load etc. I think it would be career ending in surgery unless you wanted an office practice only (ie not being a surgeon).

If you clear the virus then you should be fine. You may have to have studies done to make sure your viral load remains undetectable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hep C is scaryh ****. I know there isn't evidence on it, but double glove on every case, or wear ortho gloves.

thats why I would rather have aids than hep c..... look at magic- his life is pretty good. i wonder if the ladies still hook up with him though.

as someone whos going to be a transplant fellow soon, and who doesnt have hepatitis C, i can say that i think about this issue often. i still believe that universal precautions and good surgical technique are your best defense against this type of thing. always wear eye protection, double glove, etc.

you gotta do what you love. there was an interesting new york times article about this issue a long time ago, but it didnt really go into what a surgeon could do if they were infected. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/03/health/03cons.html

good question.
I think you can still practice but have to disclose your hep c status to patients. not sure if this is individually, or how its expected.
some institutions test you pre-employment and may not even let you on staff.
I wonder if there are really "cures" from hep c, remission maybe.

If you get hep c as a surgeon, Probably your best bet is to just go into liver transplant surgery. all those patients have hep c anyway.
plus you can make contacts to help get up higher on the liver allocation list when its your turn like Steve Jobs.(yes I know he didnt have Hep c)

The last updated guidelines on this topic from the CDC are from the early 90s (and are therefore totally useless). It comes down to individual hospital credentialing committees and your malpractice insurance provider what you are allowed to do and what you have to disclose.

The "good" news is that the new PIs are FDA approved and cure rates are now 70%+ for genotype 1.