her name was G, L, O, R, IIIIII, G-L-O-R-I-A, GloooooooRIA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphaDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i hate biochemistry

Members don't see this ad.

i got a 50% on my first biochem test this semester and ended up with a C- on it :)

My studying habits are pretty much nonexistent this (final) semester

Van Morrison, nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not taken biochem. Care to explain.

I have not taken biochem. Care to explain.

Yeah, how could anyone hate biochem?

*cough*
image002.jpg

*cough*

metabolic.jpg

honestly guys, how can you not love this stuff?

:love: metabolism:love:

hang on guys. Are you saying we will have to memorize that whole chart???

if its anything like my biochem classes, you won't just straight up memorize the chart...you'll learn the different pathways individually and their affects on the body, and come test time you'll be given a condition that affects one pathway that has an affect on another pathway(s), and you'll have to describe which pathways are affected and other side effects that result from those pathway changes.

In the end, its all connected...

Van Morrison, nice.

props.

i'm still recovering from that midterm. i didn't think anything could be worse than orgo... oh how sadly mistaken i was!

i like that chart by the way, that'll come in handy for the final. :thumbup:

The questions I hated most were the ones where you had to follow glucose carbon #2 through all the different cycles and explain where it comes out at the end.

(out of my a$$, that's where)

Members don't see this ad :)

My class we never had to memorize the whole chart, but outside my profs office she had the chart with a pin stuck in saying "you are here".

In my class rather then memorizing everything, we took a more mechanistic and conceptual aproach. Knowing why and how things worked throughout the chart. Of course I ended up memorizing most of it anyways, if you understand some of the basic concepts, and reasons why things happen its not as difficult as it seems. If you look at it since everything connected with everything there are lots of similarities between mechanisms enzymes and cofactors.

Basicaly what I am trying to say is don't freak out about Memorizing rather try to understand whats going on. Much of the nomenclature for enzymes is directly related to function, which makes the task of knowing/remembering mechanisms and pathways much easier. Understand then try to memorize, thats at least how I did it. I also found going through biochemical mechanisms on a white board or chalk board really helped.
(You can get a big white board at Lowes or home depot for aprox. 20 bucks.

Good Luck and have fun. :) :)

I remember memorizing that entire thing in 3rd year

Wow... Completely insane chart!! I haven't taken biochem yet, but I've heard many things about it. I hope you guys are just BS'ing!!

Wow... Completely insane chart!! I haven't taken biochem yet, but I've heard many things about it. I hope you guys are just BS'ing!!

it looks bad all put together. But it's really not that bad. Learn it one pathway at a time and you will see how it all fits together.

so how deep into biochem do you think we'll get in D school? Granted it should be easier the 2nd time around but.....

that last chart is a little ridiculous. you won't be expected to recognize enzyme numbers, and you probably won't need to know most of those pathways... i know i don't... except maybe the pentose phosphate pathway, which isn't even really outlined. don't get scared, people, biochem is really tough, but it's do-able.

so how deep into biochem do you think we'll get in D school? Granted it should be easier the 2nd time around but.....

my biochem professor said that the detail that he taught to would be more in depth than you'd see in any med/dental course.

i managed to get a B+ in that class (i studied my ass off), so i feel pretty confident about d-school.

jb!:)

that last chart is a little ridiculous. you won't be expected to recognize enzyme numbers, and you probably won't need to know most of those pathways... i know i don't... except maybe the pentose phosphate pathway, which isn't even really outlined. don't get scared, people, biochem is really tough, but it's do-able.

Of course you don't have to know enzyme numbers...

map00030.gif

My final review notes for biochem consisted of glycolysis, fermentation, glycogen synthesis, TCA, ETC, fat coupling, something to do with creatine phosphate somehow all interconnected. If you understand the pathways, memorizing them shouldn't be a problem.

Dang, I thought it was one of the easier classes I've taken. I mean pretty much all you have to do in Biochem I is read, and Biochem II just memorize steps. For anyone who hasn't taken it just make sure you have a good professor.

GO UNLV!~

Attn dental students who have taken DENTAL biochem:

How much detail do you go into in dental school? I'm taking graduate biochem I right now and it's a fair amount of detail, but I wouldnt think you'd need THAT much detail for dental curriculum. I mean, how often are you going to need to refer to the pentose-phosphate pathway in the operatory?

yeah it's obvious to us now that we've taken or gone through part of the class, but i feel like it still needs to be clarified for some people... no offense, man!

map00030.gif

i actually know someone in my biochem class from a few semesters back that made a huge poster like this for the final exam. personally i thought it was a waste of time, i studied every pathway seperately and learned how they were all connected. but i guess everyone has their own way of learning.

if you can't hack undergrad biochem, you won't be able to hack dental school.