Here are my stats..Tell me what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NiNfus21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Junior at NYU applying for Med school this June, 2010. Here are my numbers:

Major: Biochemistry
Overall GPA: 3.63..hoping to get it up to 3.7 by the end of the semester
Science GPA: 3.7. this should go up as well.
MCAT scheduled for May 27: hoping for more than 30

EC:
-Research intern at a pharmacology lab at NYU medical center since June 2008
-Research Intern at Cornell Med Center 2006
-Volunteer as a Bengali Interpreter at Bellevue Hospital in NYC
-Volunteer of Heart to Heart organization: hold blood pressure screening around NYC
-Used to be a America Reads Tutor
-Shadowed for 2 weeks at a hospital in Bangladesh
-Shadowed Bellevue physician and a cardiologist
-NYU Julius Silver Scholarship for the sciences

How many and what kind of schools should I aim for? I want to stay in the North Eastern states preferably close to NY. Should I be thinking about DO schools? Would an MCAT score around 31 suffice?
I have a few specific questions:
1) Can schools view what other schools I will be applying to?
2) Do I have to mention anywhere in the application specifically how many hours I spend on volunteer/research
3) Are the interviews schedules mostly on the weekends..or do they vary depending on the school?

I am a NY resident (Long Island). Do you think the new medical school in Long Island: Hofstra will be a safe backup for me?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

32-33 would be betree. Interviews for med school are on weekdays.

Members don't see this ad :)
get your mcat first and then we can discuss your chances. you don't need to compile a list right now. it doesn't take that long to come up with one also if you buy the MSAR book.

A good variety of research-based EC's but you're missing clinical experience.

Your experience volunteering as an interpreter and taking blood pressures does count as clinical experience. How many hours were you interacting with patients? The typical applicant has about 1.5 years of this experience, with about 150 total hours.

Schools won't know where else you're applying unless you tell them, except that after about March 15, schools that have accepted you can see what other schools have accepted you via the AMCAS site.

You do need to list total hours for volunteering and research.