Here are my stats- what to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1004337

Hello!

Year in school:
Graduating in Spring 2020 at age 20.

Country/state of residence:
Texas

Ethnicity: not URM
Asian

Undergraduate institution or category:
Public state school

Cumulative GPA:

Science GPA:

MCAT Scores:
1/23/20 —> 493 (123/120/125/125); Not happy, will definitely take some time off this summer to study and only take it when my practice exams show a consistent 505+

Research/Paid Research Experience:
700+ hours: I have been working in a research lab for 3+ years. I don't have a publication, we are in the process of getting things started with a journal.
I ran my own project and I have given MANY presentations (poster/oral) on the project. My PI is one of my strong LORs.

Paid Clinical Experience:
None.
If things don't go well with SMPs, I plan on starting scribing this summer.

Volunteering (medical/clinical) – include hours/sites:
100+: Hospital volunteer in the Transplant unit, I helped patients with whatever they needed by their bedside (like giving them water, reading books for peds patients, etc). Also helped nurses with lab work and charting.

Non-clinical volunteering:
50+ hours: Volunteer in the women's center.
200+ hours: Officer for one of the clubs on campus.
100+ hours: I was a biochem TA on campus

Physician shadowing:
20+ hours: dentist
20+ hours: neurosurgery
30+ hours: peds
20+ hours: peds surgery in another country

Immediate family members in medicine?
No; actually none at all.

Interests in medicine?
I am actually really interested in peds, and I would love to attend a DO school (I actually have a LOR from a DO).

What should I do after graduation, If I don't get into the SMP? Do a post-bacc with higher-level sciences courses to increase my sGPA and then take some months off to study for the MCAT and apply next cycle (2021)??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to take enough additional undergraduate level science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0 . At that point you will need to retake the MCAT.
However do not retake the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently over 505.

Please complete your profile following the WAMC template so you can get comprehensive feedback. That said, based on what has been provided (which isn't much), your metrics confirm what you already know: you're not in any position to go to medical school, and I hope you can get into an SMP because that's your only realistic ticket to get in. We have no clue about where you may have advantages as a state resident or in your SES or race/ethnicity or other demographic. If you don't get into an SMP (which you should plan for just in case), I hope you can find a good job, including in a potential clinical environment if not continue with your research experiences.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Please complete your profile following the WAMC template so you can get comprehensive feedback. That said, based on what has been provided (which isn't much), your metrics confirm what you already know: you're not in any position to go to medical school, and I hope you can get into an SMP because that's your only realistic ticket to get in. We have no clue about where you may have advantages as a state resident or in your SES or race/ethnicity or other demographic. If you don't get into an SMP (which you should plan for just in case), I hope you can find a good job, including in a potential clinical environment if not continue with your research experiences.
I am so sorry. I didn't know there was a specific template to use. I updated my original post now, hopefully, that's better.
Also, I only applied to 3 SMPs, should I apply to more?

Reactions: 1 user
I am so sorry. I didn't know there was a specific template to use. I updated my original post now, hopefully, that's better.
Also, I only applied to 3 SMPs, should I apply to more?
Thank you. More importantly, where did you apply? How did you pick the programs?

Last edited:
Hello!

Year in school:
Graduating in Spring 2020 at age 20.

Country/state of residence:
Texas

Ethnicity: not URM
Asian

Undergraduate institution or category:
Public state school

Cumulative GPA:

Science GPA:

MCAT Scores:
1/23/20 —> 493 (123/120/125/125); Not happy, will definitely take some time off this summer to study and only take it when my practice exams show a consistent 505+

Research/Paid Research Experience:
700+ hours: I have been working in a research lab for 3+ years. I don't have a publication, we are in the process of getting things started with a journal.
I ran my own project and I have given MANY presentations (poster/oral) on the project. My PI is one of my strong LORs.

Paid Clinical Experience:
None.
If things don't go well with SMPs, I plan on starting scribing this summer.

Volunteering (medical/clinical) – include hours/sites:
100+: Hospital volunteer in the Transplant unit, I helped patients with whatever they needed by their bedside (like giving them water, reading books for peds patients, etc). Also helped nurses with lab work and charting.

Non-clinical volunteering:
50+ hours: Volunteer in the women's center.
200+ hours: Officer for one of the clubs on campus.
100+ hours: I was a biochem TA on campus

Physician shadowing:
20+ hours: dentist
20+ hours: neurosurgery
30+ hours: peds
20+ hours: peds surgery in another country

Immediate family members in medicine?
No; actually none at all.

Interests in medicine?
I am actually really interested in peds, and I would love to attend a DO school (I actually have a LOR from a DO).

What should I do after graduation, If I don't get into the SMP? Do a post-bacc with higher-level sciences courses to increase my sGPA and then take some months off to study for the MCAT and apply next cycle (2021)??

Okay... let me see about putting things in order.

1) I wouldn't start thinking about an SMP until you get enough shadowing and clinical experience. It's too hard to juggle both. If you think you need more clinical exposure, get it first. I point out for others to comment whether your 50 hours with a women's shelter plus 100 hours of hospital volunteering with the transplant unit is sufficient.

2) check if test prep is part of any SMP you consider as well as linkage conditions for interviews at desired schools. That will help you decide when to prepare. I wouldn't take the MCAT again until close to the finish of your SMP if you are trying to show a stronger biomedical science foundation.

3) a 10 point MCAT improvement is nice. Getting over 513 would be even better.
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

What did you do at the Women’s Center? What was the targeted clientele? Your ECs are weak and very cookie cutter. 200 hours of your nonclinical volunteering was as an officer of a campus s club. I’m not sure why you think that is service to the unserved/underserved in your community? You need to get off campus and out of your comfort zone. The officer job would probably be okay for leadership but not nonclinical volunteering. Same with your tutoring. Get off campus and out of your comfort zone.
What happened with your MCAT? What were your scores on your FL practice tests? You already know that your stats are too low for any MD school and probably any DO school. You have a ton of work to do.

Thank you. More importantly, where did you apply? How did you pick the programs?
The SMP programs I am applying to are UIW, UNT and Texas Tech. I chose these because of they are the only SMP programs in texas.

Okay... let me see about putting things in order.

1) I wouldn't start thinking about an SMP until you get enough shadowing and clinical experience. It's too hard to juggle both. If you think you need more clinical exposure, get it first. I point out for others to comment whether your 50 hours with a women's shelter plus 100 hours of hospital volunteering with the transplant unit is sufficient.

2) check if test prep is part of any SMP you consider as well as linkage conditions for interviews at desired schools. That will help you decide when to prepare. I wouldn't take the MCAT again until close to the finish of your SMP if you are trying to show a stronger biomedical science foundation.

3) a 10 point MCAT improvement is nice. Getting over 513 would be even better.
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

1) Okay. I have applied to be a scribe before but I couldn't commit to it as I was a full-time student and a part-time job at the lab. I graduate this May and the SMP doesn't work out, I will start scribing this summer.

2) Yes. UIW and UNT have a direct linkage to their SOM granted I get a >3.5 GPA. I know UNT has the MCAT course, not sure about UIW. Texas Tech is more research-focused.

3) Yes. I will keep studying and plan on taking tutoring help and will only signup for a date if my practice FL have consistent 510+

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you do at the Women’s Center? What was the targeted clientele? Your ECs are weak and very cookie cutter. 200 hours of your nonclinical volunteering was as an officer of a campus s club. I’m not sure why you think that is service to the unserved/underserved in your community? You need to get off campus and out of your comfort zone. The officer job would probably be okay for leadership but not nonclinical volunteering. Same with your tutoring. Get off campus and out of your comfort zone.
What happened with your MCAT? What were your scores on your FL practice tests? You already know that your stats are too low for any MD school and probably any DO school. You have a ton of work to do.

- The women's center is for people who were met with sexual or domestic violence. I had to get a licence to be an advocate so that took a while before I could actually start working there. I comforted the clients through their time there- getting them whatever they need, either in the shelter or going to the store for them. I organized many kids activities (like painting classes, soccer, etc). I helped in the kitchen and serving food. I also answer a lot of crisis phone calls on our 24/7 hotline, so I worked with a lot of traumatized clients. But most importantly, this cause was definitely something I am passionate about, as I had some personal experiences as well.

- I am actually in contact with the coordinator for a community health clinic (underserved) so hopefully, I can land something there. But if not, I already applied to a scribing job before and everything went well but I couldn't commit to a weekday schedule. So once I graduate this May, I will get in contact with them again

- My FLs did show 500 and I was fine with a score around there as my first attempt but knew I was going to take it again. But I think the nerves really got to me and I had to drive 2+ hours to a testing center on the day off so that might've had something.

- Okay understood. if the SMP doesn't work out- I will get into scribing thus summer and do a DIY post bacc at my university. Keep shadowing, volunteering at the hospital and women's center. And study for the MCAT and only take it once my FLs show 510+. I am 100% okay with a DO.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the Women’s Center work is really good. I’m not sure what to think about the MCAT. It’s usually advised to only plan to take it one time when you are consistently scoring at or above your target goal. Of course that’s too late now, but plan on following that model this time. ADCOMS can see all of your scores. AMCAS recommends that s hooks average scores. Some do and some don’t. But we really don’t know what particular schools do. So just study hard and prepare well for the next time.

I think the Women’s Center work is really good. I’m not sure what to think about the MCAT. It’s usually advised to only plan to take it one time when you are consistently scoring at or above your target goal. Of course that’s too late now, but plan on following that model this time. ADCOMS can see all of your scores. AMCAS recommends that s hooks average scores. Some do and some don’t. But we really don’t know what particular schools do. So just study hard and prepare well for the next time.

Thank you. Yes, I recently found out some schools average scores. But I will research on the schools I am interested in and apply to the ones that take the highest. I think I will have an idea on what schools when I retake the MCAT with a better score and bring my GPA up by doing some post-bacc.
So, game plan- If I get accepted to an SMP, then great. If not, I will start scribing this summer and start studying for the MCAT again, get some tutoring (any recommendations btw??). And only take it when my FLs are 510+. I will take some post-bacc sciences classes at my undergrad this coming fall to increase my GPA. If my MCAT is 510+, my GPA alot higher, and get some clinical hours through scribing, I will apply to medical school next cycle.