Here are the rankings and some stats!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S.c. Cdc28p

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Since some of you are searching for numbers on schools, I thought I would put the US News rankings and some stats for the top schools on

my website

Hope they'll help. And good luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Age is factored into their formula for whether or not they send you a secondary? Who so? Older=better? Is this legal?

thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's funny that Stanford omitted U of Michigan from their list of other top schools.

That's right Stanford, just keep your noses up in the air. That way you won't notice that U of Michigan is blowing right past you in terms of facilities, medical education, quality and quantity of research, and national reputation.

well, UMich may top Stanford in most of those things, but def. not national reputation. Perhaps (perhaps!) among the medical community, but definitely not amongst the general public. Just my $.02..

Originally posted by bluegill
I think it's funny that Stanford omitted U of Michigan from their list of other top schools.

That's right Stanford, just keep your noses up in the air. That way you won't notice that U of Michigan is blowing right past you in terms of facilities, medical education, quality and quantity of research, and national reputation.

Well, the reason Stanford did not include UMich is because they only listed the stats for the medical schools that are part of the 13-school Medical School Consortium. This Consortium is a group of med schools that kind of form a kind of medical education group, where they have conferences for medical education, and distribute their stats pretty freely among each other so that they have guages as to how they are doing in comparison with some of their peers. While the Consortium has several "top schools" in their membership, they certainly do not include all of the top 10 schools.

UMich, I might add, is not part of the Consortium, and therefore Stanford did not include them in their list.

Posted by Adcadet: Age is factored into their formula for whether or not they send you a secondary? Who so? Older=better? Is this legal?

I didn't think this would be legal either, but looking at Stanford's non-discrimination policy...age isn't mentioned! That seems pretty messed up to me. I think most other schools include age.

Stanford University admits students of either sex and any race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the University. It does not discriminate against students on the basis of sex, race, color, disability, religion, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other University administered programs.

Thanks S.c.! You may just want to put them on a different domain though, because of the legal implications of having copyrighted material on your Harvard website.

Originally posted by imperator
Thanks S.c.! You may just want to put them on a different domain though, because of the legal implications of having copyrighted material on your Harvard website.

If you have merely have statistics, they are not copyrightable because they are facts. Only the expression of ideas is copyrightable. You can get a copyright for arranging facts in a creative way (such as an almanac--a phone book does not count because it is arranged alphabetically, see Rural v. Feist). It's possible that rankings could fall under this, given that USNews has a creative process of ranking the schools. While I'm not convinced that USNews would win in court, obviously you wouldn't fight it if they sent you a cease and desist letter. :)

Originally posted by Random Access
If you have merely have statistics, they are not copyrightable because they are facts. Only the expression of ideas is copyrightable. You can get a copyright for arranging facts in a creative way (such as an almanac--a phone book does not count because it is arranged alphabetically, see Rural v. Feist). It's possible that rankings could fall under this, given that USNews has a creative process of ranking the schools. While I'm not convinced that USNews would win in court, obviously you wouldn't fight it if they sent you a cease and desist letter. :)

It's simply more convenient to put them on my website. I'll let you guys know when USNews takes action against me. :)

So then the ranks and scores are copyrighted. I'm not sure about reputation. Does USNews conduct its own survey? Everything else though is definitely in the public domain. Maybe if you really wanted to be safe you could just invert the list and then they would have nothing on you ;)

Originally posted by imperator
Everything else though is definitely in the public domain.

Public domain is actually a slightly different concept. Public domain means that the copyright rights have been relinquished. Generally this happens after a copyright expires (or a trademark or patent does, for that matter).

This is a slight difference from facts because facts are considered uncopyrightable. Public domain works are actually copyrightable, but the rights of the owner no longer apply, because either the copyright expired or the owner assigned the work to the public domain.

you could be hosting pirated microsoft windows and all you'd get is a slap on the hand. i doubt a list of rankings will stir up much trouble.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
you could be hosting pirated microsoft windows and all you'd get is a slap on the hand. i doubt a list of rankings will stir up much trouble.

Point being that a "cease and desist" is essentially a slap on the wrist. As for your Windows example, it would depend on the extent of your contributory infringement. In certain cases, there are prescribed fines/jail terms.

Originally posted by wallie
I didn't think this would be legal either, but looking at Stanford's non-discrimination policy...age isn't mentioned! That seems pretty messed up to me. I think most other schools include age.

Yet another thing to hate Stanford over.