Here goes..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clipse

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the scenario:
I am currently a junior at Georgetown University who is majoring in Biology and minoring in goverment. So far I have had a quite tough time academically (Cum. GPA=3.3). I know that much is riding on my performance in the rest of my junior year and my MCAT scores. My question is, do I have a shot at any allopathic schools (preferably in Ohio) with my stats? Although I know that many people may disagree with me, I feel that my GPA would be much higher had I attended a state university in Ohio - did I make a mistake in choosing to attend Georgetown University instead of Wright State University or Ohio State University? Does anyone know how much weight Georgetown's reputation is given in the entire medical school admissions process? I've heard they have an excellent reputation with George Washington University, but this is all word of mouth. All comments are welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you do!!

If you are sitting with a 3.3 right now and you have two more years to go (I suggest applying after senior year so you can get some experience etc), I am sure (depending on how many credits you already have) that you can end up with a 3.45 or above by the end of senior year. Your top priority right now should be getting 4.0's....esp in Science classes so that can offset your lower CUM GPA. I know with some work and a few extra classes, you can pull it up to 3.5. And a 3.5 is usually the cut off for many "out of state" schools to be interviewed. All you have to do is make it to the interview with your numbers and if you work hard enough, you may be able to do it.

Don't sell yourself short. Work on making your application shine. Did you know that GTown med school has a strong emphasis on ethics?? Why don't you take part in a debate club or a journal club if they hvae one? Why don't you START an ethics club?? I did that and it was an awesome experience. Do you do clinical work?

In any case, know that GPA is NOT the only factor in your application. Just look at the thread titled, "GPA less than 3.2 and interviews." See the long list of people with multiple interviews?? When are you taking the MCATs? That can offset your lower GPA.

If you want to vent, talk, whatever.....PM me.

i can't help you for your question of how the med schools might factor in georgetown's undergrad curriculum, but i agree with tweetie in terms of your chances in gettign into an allopathic ms. i was sort of in the same boat in my undergrad, had like a 3.3 after 2 years, and really had to bust my ass for the last two years to try to get it up, and ended up with a pretty decent gpa. as long as your gpa has a strong upward trend, you should be fine. just make sure you prepare yourself well for the mcat and that other aspects of your application are solid as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, Georgetown is a nationally known school, so that is good. But it's mainly known for ethics and government (at least that's my impression) - so perhaps you want to get at least some experience in ethics if you can. A straight bio major from Georgetown may not stand out in particular, but a bio major/gov minor with significant ethics/public policy experience might really stand out nicely.

If you rock the MCAT, your GPA may not be much of an issue. So study hard for the MCAT. Also, make sure you have strong extracurricular experiences, and at least something clinical. Research is always good, though not critical. And if you're going to apply after graduating as Tweetie suggests, make sure you're doing someting impressive during that time to talk about during interviews.

Originally posted by TeinVI
i can't help you for your question of how the med schools might factor in georgetown's undergrad curriculum, but i agree with tweetie in terms of your chances in gettign into an allopathic ms. i was sort of in the same boat in my undergrad, had like a 3.3 after 2 years, and really had to bust my ass for the last two years to try to get it up, and ended up with a pretty decent gpa. as long as your gpa has a strong upward trend, you should be fine. just make sure you prepare yourself well for the mcat and that other aspects of your application are solid as well.

Why havent you been banned lately, I thought for sure we'd be seeing TeinXXVI by now:cool: