Here is a hairy question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidflip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK I know this is crazy but I want to know what you guys think about this:

I have two undergrad degrees one completed 6 years ago with a low low GPA (2.5) and another science BS competed last year GPA 4.0. Do you think I should not bother telling the Med schools about the first undergrad degree. Is there any way they can find out?

I know this is really evil but aside from the critism is there any way I can get caught

Thanks for the advice

Members don't see this ad.

Tell them. If they do find out somehow, you'll be kicked out, and you'll find it almost impossible to get admitted to another med school after falsifying your AMCAS...

I don't know offhand how they could find out, but I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life in hiding! Perhaps one of your profs that sent in a letter of recomendation knows about your previous life. Or maybe your college has records of your previous degree they might send in with your transcript. Who knows? Why risk it? With a 4.0 GPA on record now, and an overall average that id decent, they know you can work! I would think with a good MCAT score you won't have much of a problem getting in!

Definitely don't risk it. You could blow your chances for good. Do you really want to keep a secret like that your whole life?

My undergrad institution has rules that if you falsify information in your records, they can recind your degree even after graduation. I'm sure med schools have the same deal.

Not worth it, not worth it, not worth it. Just kick butt on the MCAT and between that and your 4.0 GPA, they will know you are a changed student.

Members don't see this ad :)
man, the truth is that we would all do it if we knew there's NO way to get caught. but that's impossible..there are ways, i'm sure of it. even if the school with your first degree burned up and all the computers were destroyed, i'd still be scared...there could be other databases with your stuff. that's scary man, i wouldn't do it. you're a good student now, and showing up to the interviews looking like a confident guy (not like a scared little mole who has something to hide) has got to factor into the overall vibe the interviewer gets from you.

anyway, do it if you want to.
but be prepared for the consequences..they are dire!

Don't lie. They'll look at your more recent work more anyway. So not only is there no reason to lie, but if you DO lie and get caught you are totally and utterly screwed. Then you can REALLY kiss Med school good bye.

Oh and lying is crappy anyway.