1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Here is a toast.....to overachievement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bigman43, Apr 14, 2007.

1. bigman43

bigman43 Membership Revoked
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :laugh:

I remember as a sophmore/junior in high school, i would browse collegeconfidential wondering how I would do well on the SATs or get into a good college. I would always wonder if my stats were good enough and I would always doubt myself.

Well, I got into college. I did well on the SATs.

Now here I am as a sophmore in college browsing sdn everyday, wondering if I will get into med school or if my GPA is good enough. the MCATs seem more daunting than the SATS ever did.

And if i get into med school, Ill probably at the SDN USMLE forum wondering how to ace the boards and worrying if my stats are good enough.

dammit when will it end!!

haha who else is with me on this. :hardy:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc

Nobody. You are on your own.

4. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    :laugh: Yeah, I'm sure no one else on SDN is an overachiever, type-A personality.

I know that I'm not. No way.

5. bigman43

Removed 7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  6. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    You know, anytime I feel like crap about my GPA or whatever, I think back to senior year of high school and how I FREAKED OUT and applied to a bunch of stupid Tier 3 schools because I thought no one was gonna take me with a measly 3.8 and 1390 on the SATs....:laugh: Long story short, the schools that I thought were my "reach schools" all admitted me AND gave me scholarships. So when I hear people today tell me "don't bother applying to *insert top school's name*," all I can say is "never underestimate yourself." I enjoyed my undergrad experience, but I'd be lying if I said I never think "what if I had applied to Brown? I might have gotten in!" Really, even the slimmest, most negligible chance of being admitted at your dream school is worth that $100 secondary app fee. Even though I know my stats aren't the best, I feel much more secure about myself today...though I'm sure the age and greater life experience has played a role in this as well.

7. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They didn't have college confidential back when I was in high school way back when, but when I discovered SDN, I kept on kicking myself for not discovering it sooner (I think it was in its infancy when I graduated back in 2002). It's great to have a place to obsess over your stats with hundreds of other neurotics. :D

8. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

meanwhile i had a 4.3 and a 1510 on the SAT and got rejected from every school I applied to, except 1. I'm one of those that applied to brown and DIDN'T get in. i guess some people just have bad luck, at least when it comes to the admissions game, anyway.

9. bigman43

Removed 7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    so where did u go for college?

10. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    My school didn't go above 4.0, hehe.

But I was wrong...there was ONE school I didn't get into - my back-up school!:lol: However, it's because it was rolling admissions and I waited till the last minute to apply, because I had zero interest in the school. And then when my college counselor called the school to ask why they rejected me, the admissions guy was pretty straightforward and said "we looked at the other schools she applied to, and she'll NEVER come to our school."

Luckily, he was right in thinking I was gonna get admitted at a more selective school...but imagine what would have happened if he were wrong.:scared: :laugh:

11. Funky

Funky This space is for sale
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    there needs to be a thread for us underachievers
    but i'm way too lazy to make one ;)

12. pennybridge

pennybridge Membership Revoked
    Removed

maybe you're just wholly unlikeable.

all I have to say is thank god for pre-comprehensive review UC numbers based undergraduate admissions :thumbup: :laugh:

13. sendwich

sendwich you rock!
    10+ Year Member

for us, it NEVER ends. this is just the beginninng, babee!!! :thumbup:

seriously though, I have some friends who are already finishing up their residencies. they say it might get better when we're about 55 years old.

14. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'll be relieved when I'm dead

15. searun

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, then you can just exhale and relax.

16. Asianagirl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Similar numbers here, plus 2250+ on three SAT II subjects. I got into all four schools that I had applied to including Berkeley and Chicago :thumbup:

17. Green Pirate

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yup. submit to the unyielding power of entropy.

18. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It will not end for a while. The path to doctor-hood is marked by years of tests. I look back at the SAT and the MCAT and am relieved that I got through those stepping stones. My advice, don't fret about tests that are going to happen so far in the future, you'll only drive yourself crazy. Right now your focus should be on getting awesome grades. Wait 'till next year to fret about the MCAT. One step at a time!

19. searun

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Eventually entropy will win. And eventually our sun will explode, the earth will be burned to a cinder, our sun will disappear, and our little insignificant solar system with vanish into emptiness, and who will know that you and I became an M.D.?

20. Green Pirate

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    true enough. now program that fact into my nervous system and I'd be forever grateful.

21. stereochemistry

stereochemistry Walking Carpet
    5+ Year Member

This whole process has been very alien to me. I was a horrible student in highschool. I graduated with a 1.8 GPA due to some "extracurrics" and a high dose of apathy. I scored 1100 on the SAT as a 7th grader paricipating in some Duke "find the genius" program, while receiving a 1050 as a senior. I didn't go straight to college. I have never heard of "college confidential." After farting around for four years, I slugged my way through the community college system up to a reputable university and now I'm about to matriculate later this summer. Once discovering and maintaining what it took to get to the position I occupy right now, I've lost my hair. I'm sure glad I didn't go through it in high school.

22. Anjlprincezz

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I remember back when u was applying to UG with a 4.4 GPA and 1570 SAT (back when it was out of 1600) and I was so worried that i wouldn't get in anywhere i enrolled in community college.. Than i got in everywhere i applied and had a huge problem on my hands, trying to decide where to go... In retrospect i could have attended a higher-ranked school, but im happy :) ... But i think that whole process made me a bit over confident, and now I am just barely above average +pity+

23. lsumedgirl

lsumedgirl Livin' the dream!
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm with ya! But, I too, am too lazy to make it. :D