Here is an idea....for DO.

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Vila Rancho, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Vila Rancho

Vila Rancho Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

this is a post related to "anyone seen this anti-ostepathy article" thread.

here is a survey for DO'S out there.... If AMA would grant a MD degree for those DO students who went through allopathic residency and other 'academic requirement' upon graduation from DO schools. who would take this option?

i personally believe this option would give the truly DO physicians who use OMT techniques a more consolidating identity. more of less, this would also prevent the so called 'dichotomy' among DO themselves. on the other hand, this option would give other DO physiscans (e.g. many subspecialized docs)the ease of explaning the letters behind their name.

this idea should make both sides happy, perhaps i should submit this idea to AMA.
    what do you think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm assuming you haven't heard of the .... California Merger....

4. Vila Rancho

Vila Rancho Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

yes i've heard of the california merger but that issue involved a great stake than just 're-identify' individual physician.

if i remembered correctly, the merger plan involved the merging of both osteopathic and allopathic associations, which not only took away the identity of DO professions as well as the jobs of those DO committees. this is also one of the reasons why AOA would reluctantly 'work' with AMA and i don't blame them.

what i'm proposing is not merely a take over of AOA nor a merge. my reasons can be drawn from the following, first of all, more and more DO physicans are specialized in subspecialities in which using OMT technique nor applying osteopathic principles to their fields was rare or even meaningless. since they received MD training and possess the full extent medical knowledge, they should be given the option of degree. For those DOs who preach osteopathic principles and use OMT techniques, they will be indirectly benefited from the consequence of this option. Consequently, the outcome would lift the DO profession to further identify its philosophy and bring it to a higher recognition in the healthcare.

5. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

For purposes of the survey...

I'm would not take that option.

6. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This whole issue of making DO's separate but equal to MD's is a constant issue that is faced by the medical community....

If you feel you've found a new proposal then by all means email the AMA and AOA regarding what you think.... I'm sure that at least one of them will respond....

A medicine becomes more and more advance and medical training is insistant of being more humanistic, etc., etc.... it is getting harder to discern from the degrees.... I don't think that someone has come up with a compromise that the AMA or AOA will agree to.... Maybe yours will be the first?.... Try it and see what happens....

7. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

The AMA does not grant degrees, it grants licesure ect. The school you go to grants the degree. you could technicall be a M.D. that was not licensed, therefore could not practice. So, I do not see how that could happen. The school sgrants the degree, so a D. O. school grants A d.o. and an Allopathic school grants a M.D. They could not change that any more than a lawyer graduated with a J.D. If a lawyer fails to pass the bar, they still have their J.D. degree. Do>o and MD's are the same, it is just a degree granted from an accredited school. The D.O or MD license is what AMA deals with.

8. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Check out the AOA basic documents, which include the constitution, bylaws and ethical considerations. There is a provision in there which states that the only degree that shall be granted by an osteopathic medical school is the DO degree. I would be very surprised if the AOA (as it is presently constituted) would be willing to change that for any reason.