Here is my situation, let me know what you think.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read a bunch of posts so far and nothing really lines up with my situation so I figured I would lay all my cards out on the table and see what everyone thinks.

First of all I am 25, married, working on having a child (hope to soon succeed there!), and have a full time job as a paramedic at a VERY busy 911 ambulance service. From the day I got out of high school (literally) I have been in health care. I went to college right out of high school and got an associate degree from a university in paramedicine. I graduated with 108 hours. I have now decided to go back to school and go to medical school. Unfortunately only 68 of my hours transferred to my new university because the rest were paramedic related and nothing equal to those at my new school. Also, when I went back I had none of the 8 premed courses (2 semesters of bio, organic chem, inorganic chem, physics).

Right now, I am taking as many courses as I can each semester. The problem is that with my job that is only 2 max. That being said by the end of this coming school year I will have all the premedical classes done. I am still however 15-18 classes shy of a bachelor's degree. Some are science classes and some are "cultural diversity". Only being able to take 2 classes a semester it will obviously take me a LONG time to complete a bachelors.

If that is my lot then whatever, I will do whatever I have to do. My plan, however is to take the MCAT the summer of 10 after I get the last premed courses done and then apply. I will of course continue to go for my bachelors as described until admitted or completed.

Here is where I want some feed back.
First, I have read the posts about having NO undergrad training at all or the "90 hours" and wishing to get in. I have a degree already and have way more than 90 hours. While I know that those with a bachelor will on paper be more competitive than me, what are the odds of getting accepted without finishing it. I have a degree in health care, I have oodles of experience in health care, I have several doctors that I both work with and shadow that can write letters of reqs. In addition, while juggling a >40 hr a week full time job and a family I have maintain a decent GPA (mid 3's). I would think all that would prove to an admission board that I have "what it takes to make it".

Secondly, if any of you have a similar story with regard to having a family, I would love some perspective. I know there are those that have done it, so please no replies to this part if you "know someone that did". If you have first hand knowledge of the benefits, consequences, etc of having a wife and children while going through med school and residency then please give me some encouragement/advice. I would have to say that I will do whatever it takes to be a doctor, but I am just wondering what price tag that will have for my wife and kids.

Thanks for the comments.

Also, FYI I would rather attend a DO school than an MD school, but there is an MD school less than 30 minutes from me and going there would mean I would not have to uproot my family and try and sell my house in this crap of an economy.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, your story is similar to mine. I've been a medic for 10 years now, just took the MCAT last week, and I'm applying this cycle. First thing--if possible quit your 911 job and work in a hospital. Best thing I ever did. Not only have I gotten excellent clinical experience, I've been able to work weekend nights, which has allowed more time during the week to do school and family stuff. I know some things are easier said than done, but I think you need to seriously look into changing your work environment if it's at all possible.

In regards to your 90 hour matriculation question, it doesn't happen...so don't plan on that route being open. Maybe somebody will contradict me here, but it seems so exceedingly rare.

In regards to the family, it will be a huge sacrifice. My 4 year old son is constantly asking me why I'm studying or going back to school again. We are having a daughter in a couple of weeks. Now, I know you're looking for first hand knowledge from med students and residents, and I am neither. I do have a good friend (an EM attending) who did it with 2 kids, and just had his third. He would go to bed every evening around 7pm, wake up and start studying at 2am, go to class/clinicals, and then spend the afternoon with his kids. I believe the most important thing is to have a very supportive spouse. She will essentially be a single parent while you pursue your dreams.

I totally understand the selling the house anxiety. I'll be looking at the same issue in about a year's time. Just gotta hope for the best, there is literally nothing you can do to mitigate this issue! Anyways, that's my $.02. Let me know via PM if you want more of my story...it is eerily similar to yours. Good luck!

p.s. What state do you live in?

It's possible to apply before finishing your degree, but most med schools don't really take people without a finished undergrad degree (that I know of). There was one brilliant kid from MIT who I think got into my med school I think with only 3 years of undergrad, but honestly I think he likely had a perfect MCAT score (not kidding) and he was in the MD/PhD program.

You could phone the admissions offices of the schools you are most interest in and see what they say about this situation.

The MCAT score is very important, particularly if the GPA is only mid 3's. Not that that is bad, it's just very average for a med school applicant. Would think the DO schools will love you if you get a decent MCAT score, as they like folks with clinical experience. I think you should consider that MD school near home, as honestly I don't think MD vs. DO philosophy and training makes a big difference, though the DO's try to say that it does. I have nothing against DO schools at all, but personally I'd go for whatever school is best for your family and your finances...all will teach you the same stuff and make you a doctor.