Here it goes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khaotic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I did this a while ago when I joined the site and now I am getting to the point where I will be applying to school in May and I would like some feedback.

ok~

- I am a 27 year old male, married and have 2 kids.
- I started school when I was 21, got a 2.0 GPA and dropped out after 3 semesters being a business major.

- During my break, my 2 kids came along and I worked for a large bank for about 3 years.

- Decided to go back to school, possibly for Dental b/c that was what a friend was doing and it sounded interesting.

- Worked full time (40+ hrs) while attended school (13 - 15 credit hrs per semester).

- Got a job as a "scribe" at a hospital and started to love medicine. Started working 55+ hrs total w/2 jobs and full semesters at school. (plus the kids and wife at home).

- My grades weren't great (my own fault at doing too much) but I have survived the 3.0 threshold.

Overall Stats:
3.1 overall GPA (including the 2.0 from earlier years)
3.15 Science
1500+ hrs as a scribe
800+ hrs of service (hrs do not include 6 months English teaching in Brazil)
Watched/Scrubbed in on multiple surgeries including stents, appy's etc...
Will have great LOR's from both DO and MD's from the ED.
Arizona Resident

I have not taken my MCAT yet and would like feedback on that also on what I should aim for. I have no preference on MD/DO and am only looking at a few MD schools (Oregon, UofA, New York Medical College, and a few others).

My logical choice would be AT Still in AZ b/c it's 2 mins from our house but I kind of want to leave AZ.

Any thoughts/feedback will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I did this a while ago when I joined the site and now I am getting to the point where I will be applying to school in May and I would like some feedback.

ok~

- I am a 27 year old male, married and have 2 kids.
- I started school when I was 21, got a 2.0 GPA and dropped out after 3 semesters being a business major.

- During my break, my 2 kids came along and I worked for a large bank for about 3 years.

- Decided to go back to school, possibly for Dental b/c that was what a friend was doing and it sounded interesting.

- Worked full time (40+ hrs) while attended school (13 - 15 credit hrs per semester).

- Got a job as a "scribe" at a hospital and started to love medicine. Started working 55+ hrs total w/2 jobs and full semesters at school. (plus the kids and wife at home).

- My grades weren't great (my own fault at doing too much) but I have survived the 3.0 threshold.

Overall Stats:
3.1 overall GPA (including the 2.0 from earlier years)
3.15 Science
1500+ hrs as a scribe
800+ hrs of service (hrs do not include 6 months English teaching in Brazil)
Watched/Scrubbed in on multiple surgeries including stents, appy's etc...
Will have great LOR's from both DO and MD's from the ED.
Arizona Resident

I have not taken my MCAT yet and would like feedback on that also on what I should aim for. I have no preference on MD/DO and am only looking at a few MD schools (Oregon, UofA, New York Medical College, and a few others).

My logical choice would be AT Still in AZ b/c it's 2 mins from our house but I kind of want to leave AZ.

Any thoughts/feedback will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

First as far as "what to aim for on the MCAT" the answer is always the best score you can get. I was a marginal if not unlikely candidate for MD but my MCAT definitely helped. If you can pull a 35+, that may open doors for you.

As for the GPA situation, it's not going to be an easy road (trust me, my sGPA is lower than yours). My bf got into an MD program on his second cycle with a nearly identical GPA, but his case was an exception, not the rule. If you're truly open to the idea of being a DO, I would retake a few classes you did poorly in (they replace grades with retakes) and try to get your overall and sci around 3.3. To apply MD, your best bet would be a semester or two of straight 4.0 coursework. Whatever you choose to do, I would highly recommend more ugrad coursework before applying. Applying is ridiculously expensive and you don't want to have to do it more than once.

Your ECs look great. You may wish to consider some research, but it's not 100% necessary.

Best of luck :luck::luck::luck: