Here to help- NBDE tests, Caapid, or any other application doubts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gurjot

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My story- Internship completed in India in April 2013 and got admission in an international program in July 2013.
The past 1 year has been very hectic and the process is very tedious. So if anyone needs any help or advise, I'm here to help as much as I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,
My story- Internship completed in India in April 2013 and got admission in an international program in September 2013.
The past 1 year has been very hectic and the process is very tedious. So if anyone needs any help or advise, I'm here to help as much as I can.

Could you share which school did you got acceptance from?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
And how many months of studying for part 2?

And how many months of studying for part 2?
stats- 3.82, part 1 and 2, a lot of volunteer work, a long time association with a clinic, great LOR, and my interviewers really liked my personal statement. Time studying for part 2- approximately 3.5 months, If you need any material for the part 1 or part 2 you can contact me at [email protected]

Last edited:
Hey guys,
My story- Internship completed in India in April 2013 and got admission in an international program in September 2013.

Did you gave your NBDE 1 and 2 before internship? how come you got ECE evaluation before even finishing internship.

Did you gave your NBDE 1 and 2 before internship? how come you got ECE evaluation before even finishing internship.
ECE will give you an evaluation on the basis of all your score-sheets throughout dental school.

Congrats for your achievement and you helping other candidates is appreciated.

That's great, which college did you choose?

stats- 3.82, part 1 and 2, a lot of volunteer work, a long time association with a clinic, great LOR, and my interviewers really liked my personal statement. Time studying for part 2- approximately 3.5 months, If you need any material for the part 2 you can contact me at [email protected]

What kind of volunteering work did you complete? Was it in India or US?

Hi! Really appreciate your help to others! Can you tell me how the recommendation letter part of CAAPID works? Schools have different requirements on who the recommender should be. I wonder if it works as this: you submit multiple letters to CAAPID, and for each specific school you can assign a different selection of recommendations. Am I correct? Thank you so much!!

Hi! Really appreciate your help to others! Can you tell me how the recommendation letter part of CAAPID works? Schools have different requirements on who the recommender should be. I wonder if it works as this: you submit multiple letters to CAAPID, and for each specific school you can assign a different selection of recommendations. Am I correct? Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is best to get 3 letters made. One from the dean, a professor and one post doctoral reference. The letters should be signed and stamped and the envelope should have the college seal. As for sending them, they are to be mailed to an address in Massachusetts available in the CAAPID application with a reference page. Good luck!

It is best to get 3 letters made. One from the dean, a professor and one post doctoral reference. The letters should be signed and stamped and the envelope should have the college seal. As for sending them, they are to be mailed to an address in Massachusetts available in the CAAPID application with a reference page. Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply gurjot! I wonder if you can submit more than 3 letters and assign different combinations of the letters to different school, or the CAAPID just sends whatever it receives to any school. I'm interested in that because I feel each school has a different favored aspect and making the best out of the recommendation letters might be helpful. What do you think? Did you send to each school a same set of letters? Thank you so much.

Thanks for the quick reply gurjot! I wonder if you can submit more than 3 letters and assign different combinations of the letters to different school, or the CAAPID just sends whatever it receives to any school. I'm interested in that because I feel each school has a different favored aspect and making the best out of the recommendation letters might be helpful. What do you think? Did you send to each school a same set of letters? Thank you so much.
I completely agree that some dental schools favor applicants on the basis of some aspects. Unfortunately, you can only send 3 letters of recommendation through CAAPID. Schools do not accept letters directly from you. It is best if you cover the majority of the specialties, I chose Oral Surgery (close relation with periodontics and surgeries), Pedodontics(closely related to orthodontics) and a post doctoral reference.
By far, I would say they really emphasize on your Personal statement. I had my personal statement edited from one of my friends who is an english major. If you require help in writing your personal statement please PM me, I can ask him to help you.

hey gurjot , great work... so which one did you finally choose?
penn/Tufts?

I completely agree that some dental schools favor applicants on the basis of some aspects. Unfortunately, you can only send 3 letters of recommendation through CAAPID. Schools do not accept letters directly from you. It is best if you cover the majority of the specialties, I chose Oral Surgery (close relation with periodontics and surgeries), Pedodontics(closely related to orthodontics) and a post doctoral reference.
By far, I would say they really emphasize on your Personal statement. I had my personal statement edited from one of my friends who is an english major. If you require help in writing your personal statement please PM me, I can ask him to help you.
Hi gurjot, thank you so much for the clarification and sharing your precious experience. I'm planning to apply next yr and start writing PS asap. Wish you all the best!

Schools do not accept letters directly from you. It is best if you cover the majority of the specialties, I chose Oral Surgery (close relation with periodontics and surgeries), Pedodontics(closely related to orthodontics) and a post doctoral reference.
That's not true, almost all schools accept additional LORs, for eg. BU accepts upto 5 letters. Infact some schools do request original LORs and they don't really consider the ones given to caapid.

That's not true, almost all schools accept additional LORs, for eg. BU accepts upto 5 letters. Infact some schools do request original LORs and they don't really consider the ones given to caapid.
I guess I didn't go to any of these schools.

Hey guys,
heyy even I'm done with my internship in india in november 2013 n planning to take part 1 in april…so to apply for dds does indian work experience count…I'm working in a dental clinic ??n also have done some volunteering n dental camps too?? how are my chances to gt into dental school for dds??

heyy even I'm done with my internship in india in november 2013 n planning to take part 1 in april…so to apply for dds does indian work experience count…I'm working in a dental clinic ??n also have done some volunteering n dental camps too?? how are my chances to gt into dental school for dds??
n also help me with ece….are transcripts necessary for evaluation or mark sheets are enough for evaluation?//

One thing you have to keep in mind when applying for dental school- EVERYTHING counts. NBDE 1 and 2 are important, but work experience, volunteering, research, publications, LORs, Personal statement (very important), Bench test all count. During your interview you must be CONFIDENT and FRIENDLY with everyone in your interview batch and the staff. If you do well on tests, they know you're hardworking but during the interview day you have to show them that you are a good fit with the rest of the batch.

n also help me with ece….are transcripts necessary for evaluation or mark sheets are enough for evaluation?//
You can send all(4) of your mark sheets to ECE. I also included my 10th and 12th mark sheets but I doubt they were evaluated.

You can send all(4) of your mark sheets to ECE. I also included my 10th and 12th mark sheets but I doubt they were evaluated.
so transcripts are not a issue for ece…coz i have still nt gt them from the university and ece is left…..if i send only marksheeets is fine.

One thing you have to keep in mind when applying for dental school- EVERYTHING counts. NBDE 1 and 2 are important, but work experience, volunteering, research, publications, LORs, Personal statement (very important), Bench test all count. During your interview you must be CONFIDENT and FRIENDLY with everyone in your interview batch and the staff. If you do well on tests, they know you're hardworking but during the interview day you have to show them that you are a good fit with the rest of the batch.
do certificates of conferences attended count?

Which book is better mosby or first aid?
From what i have heard and used First aid seems to be a better resource than mosby for part 1, and mosby is very good for part 2

Hey Gurjot,
Do u mind sharing how many schools you have applied to and how many called you up for the interview?

Hi! I had a few doubts and im hoping someone can help me with them. I have applied to boston and colorado and i was wondering if i should order score reports for nbde and toefl and get them delivered to me. Colorado specifically says that they dont accept score reports directly from ADA. Also i wanted to know how much these score reports costs

Hi! I had a few doubts and im hoping someone can help me with them. I have applied to boston and colorado and i was wondering if i should order score reports for nbde and toefl and get them delivered to me. Colorado specifically says that they dont accept score reports directly from ADA. Also i wanted to know how much these score reports costs
I think the additional score reports cost around $30 as far as I can remember.

Hey Gurjot,
Do u mind sharing how many schools you have applied to and how many called you up for the interview?
I applied for 10 colleges of which 8 have invited me to interview so far. I only attended two interviews, both of which accepted me. Attending the interviews costs a lot of money, the trip, stay, and college charges.

I think the additional score reports cost around $30 as far as I can remember.
thanks Gurjot... do you think they will send a copy to india for me? i ask because colorado wants us to send it to them and specify not to send directly from ADA

thanks Gurjot... do you think they will send a copy to india for me? i ask because colorado wants us to send it to them and specify not to send directly from ADA
That shouldn't be a problem, but I would recommend that you have them delivered to an American address to save time.

hello am a dentist from India,moved recently to New Jersey on a H4 visa.I have some doubts!! can anyone help me in clearing data to me please
1)what documents have to be submitted to ECE? [transcripts/original mark sheets/certificates??]
2)does calculating GPA includes 11th & 12th std (high school/pre-dental) along with 5 years of dentistry course??
3)if so my GPA would be around 2 to 2.5!! is it possible for me to study DDS/DMD(not strictly advanced standing) here?? Am mostly looking for Rutgers or Boston univ.
4)am preparing for exams right now! NBDE part1,DAT,TOEFL.Is part 2 NBDE and bench test really needed??do i have to write anyother exams apart from this??
5)I just have 1original LOR from the dean alone.Should i need extra LOR from professors and is it okay to have one set of original LOR's or should i need more sets?
6)how much possibility do I have joining these univ.??IF NOT what other universities are my possibilities??

hello am a dentist from India,moved recently to New Jersey on a H4 visa.I have some doubts!! can anyone help me in clearing data to me please
1)what documents have to be submitted to ECE? [transcripts/original mark sheets/certificates??]
2)does calculating GPA includes 11th & 12th std (high school/pre-dental) along with 5 years of dentistry course??
3)if so my GPA would be around 2 to 2.5!! is it possible for me to study DDS/DMD(not strictly advanced standing) here?? Am mostly looking for Rutgers or Boston univ.
4)am preparing for exams right now! NBDE part1,DAT,TOEFL.Is part 2 NBDE and bench test really needed??do i have to write anyother exams apart from this??
5)I just have 1original LOR from the dean alone.Should i need extra LOR from professors and is it okay to have one set of original LOR's or should i need more sets?
6)how much possibility do I have joining these univ.??IF NOT what other universities are my possibilities??
Hi,
Well that's a lot of questions, I'll try to cover all of them.
1. For your GPA to be calculated, all you need to submit is your mark sheets from 1st to 4th year, and if you have the degree
2. I submitted mine, but they are not needed and not mentioned in the evaluation
3. Do not submit them then
4. Many colleges say that they recommend part 2 but it's not required, but trust me those who take the part 2 are given much more preference. I would definitely suggest you take it!
5.You'll need at least 3, or I think you can tell the universities that they refused. Still having them is better. Keep approximately 3-5 originals.
6.It is a difficult process and no one can really tell you your chances. Just keep in mind that EVERYTHING counts. Until I got such good feedback from schools, I too was paranoid.

P.S. I am trying to sell my NBDE material for part 1 and 2, if interested you can PM me. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
in CAAPID it is mentioned that LOR's should be directly posted to them , what if i have them with me here in US , and what if they are not sealed ........ plzzzz guide !!!

also can you guide me about WES process for Indian dentist i actually didn't get what they want !!!!

Hi,
Well that's a lot of questions, I'll try to cover all of them.
1. For your GPA to be calculated, all you need to submit is your mark sheets from 1st to 4th year, and if you have the degree
2. I submitted mine, but they are not needed and not mentioned in the evaluation
3. Do not submit them then
4. Many colleges say that they recommend part 2 but it's not required, but trust me those who take the part 2 are given much more preference. I would definitely suggest you take it!
5.You'll need at least 3, or I think you can tell the universities that they refused. Still having them is better. Keep approximately 3-5 originals.
6.It is a difficult process and no one can really tell you your chances. Just keep in mind that EVERYTHING counts. Until I got such good feedback from schools, I too was paranoid.

P.S. I am trying to sell my NBDE material for part 1 and 2, if interested you can PM me. Good luck!
firstly,thanks a lot for considering & giving a response.Secondly can i have a look at your material means either pics or contents via mail..let me know your contact info phone num or mail id to

Hey,
I've just started my preparation for NBDE-1, I was hoping if you could tell me what books and resources you used for your preparation and also if you have some additional material that you can share.

first aid,asda papers,dental decks more than enough

Hey,
I've just started my preparation for NBDE-1, I was hoping if you could tell me what books and resources you used for your preparation and also if you have some additional material that you can share.
Well if you've chose to waive the right to read your LORs you will definitely need a sealed envelope. You should contact your school. Related to WES, I think they give you a higher evaluation but less schools ask for WES.

Last edited:
Good job Drprabh!