Here we go again, another hit piece on pods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

air bud

I am a dog and play basketball
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Increased Complication Rate Associated with Podiatric Surgery​

LOL here is the best part they literally say in the cohort that there was a 3x higher rate of PVD

and these numbers are just amazingly skewed. and in poor faith.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
"One-hundred and eighteen patients were operated on by a podiatrist versus 409 who were operated on by a physician."

puke GIF

Reactions: 1 users
"One-hundred and eighteen patients were operated on by a podiatrist versus 409 who were operated on by a physician."

puke GIF
5 pod bimals vs 163 for ortho..

Members don't see this ad :)
The real crime is a journal accepting such a poor paper.
Author wasted so much time because they were hurt by some colleague. These articles have virtually 0 impact on real life.

Reactions: 4 users
The real crime is a journal accepting such a poor paper.
Author wasted so much time because they were hurt by some colleague. These articles have virtually 0 impact on real life.
They republish basically the same thing every few years. This isnt the only biased BS study in that journal.
Lee Rogers gave a pretty good response to editor for one of them.

Hmm, I was learned in poditary school that spitting in both hands and rubbing together is equivalent to Avagard. Is problem?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
It's important to remember though that unless we start publishing opposite results, not just letters to the editor, then this is all the evidence that hospitals and health care systems will have to go on....

Reactions: 8 users
It's important to remember though that unless we start publishing opposite results, not just letters to the editor, then this is all the evidence that hospitals and health care systems will have to go on....
Sorry, this is still not going to make me have any interest in research. Nice try.

Reactions: 3 users
I looked this person up on social media. Not someone to be taken seriously. Also as stated above the paper is fraudulent.

I looked this person up on social media. Not someone to be taken seriously. Also as stated above the paper is fraudulent.
Was it Naan again? That dude is a real ladies man :) ...

...I gotta admit that I like AngryOrthopod, though. He is pretty dang funny.

Hi everyone, happy April!

This is EXACTLY what I was trying to warn us all about last month when I was "venting my frustrations with the way podiatry is headed". Again, after decades in the profession I have never seen things as bad as they are at this point. This should be a huge red blinking light to our leadership in the profession. As others have stated, this type of stuff will be used against us in the future. And yes these types of publications are huge deals that can't be ignored.

So again why is this happening right now? I think this article should really give our profession pause and rethink the direction we are headed. Where do you guys think all the demoralized DPMs go? The ones who feel they spent 200k on dpm school now feel scammed? They devote the rest of their lives to take us all down because they feel wronged. Unfortunately some have lots of money and parents in the legal profession. Now the big fear is they are all talking as a large group and "teaming up". This is creating large cohorts of disgruntled podiatrist that will only create more bad publicity. I fear a group of disgruntled residents/attendings eventually going to the national news to air their grievances.

So again, I don't have the solutions at my age. I can tell you though a divided house eventually fails.

This is EXACTLY what I was trying to warn us all about last month when I was "venting my frustrations with the way podiatry is headed". Again, after decades in the profession I have never seen things as bad as they are at this point. This should be a huge red blinking light to our leadership in the profession. As others have stated, this type of stuff will be used against us in the future. And yes these types of publications are huge deals that can't be ignored.

So again why is this happening right now? I think this article should really give our profession pause and rethink the direction we are headed. Where do you guys think all the demoralized DPMs go? The ones who feel they spent 200k on dpm school now feel scammed? They devote the rest of their lives to take us all down because they feel wronged. Unfortunately some have lots of money and parents in the legal profession. Now the big fear is they are all talking as a large group and "teaming up". This is creating large cohorts of disgruntled podiatrist that will only create more bad publicity. I fear a group of disgruntled residents/attendings eventually going to the national news to air their grievances.

So again, I don't have the solutions at my age. I can tell you though a divided house eventually fails.
Calm down

Calm down
That is just JewOnThis' other account he can use if he forgets his main login.

...I am awaiting ortho journal pubs describing the size of ortho vs podiatry biceps, bench press, manhood, etc... but the problem is that the majority of orthos are actually cool and normal people.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

If you read the article you can clearly see the quality of the data is incredibly poor. Similar to the ankle fracture study. It’s bad publicity nonetheless and the APMA/ACFAS should really get some balls and stand up for the profession on a public level instead of writing a letter to the editor that nobody sees or reads many months later

This guy is the biggest toxic piece of trash on Twitter.
I mean in one of his latest tweets he’s hating on nurses. He hates on everyone who isn’t MD or DO. Which is funny because he’s a DO. So if he was a MD we would know what he would feel about DO’s lol.

"It’s bad publicity nonetheless and the APMA/ACFAS should really get some balls and stand up for the profession on a public level instead of writing a letter to the editor that nobody sees or reads many months later"

AMEN!!! Is this too much to ask of our leadership?

I agree we need more pubs and cohorts (for any procedures). There are only a finite amount of DPMs in those acad positions, though.
The comparison of IR to ICard or pod to ortho or PT to chiro or whatever is pointless, though... those are clearly going to be biased and antagonistic by their nature.

Hey Feli - yes 100% agree on more studies. I also think it really helps to have us integrated into MSG's and more and more papers with multiple authors with diverse credentials with respect to the authors.

In my opinion this should not even be an issue. There is zero difference in outcomes for well trained dpms vs do/mds doing ankle fractures. This was done with all skewed data that favored orthopedic. In my 25 yrs as division chief, we have never have had an issue with ankle ORIFs that showed any difference in outcomes based on who performed it. Period.

Hey Feli - yes 100% agree on more studies. I also think it really helps to have us integrated into MSG's and more and more papers with multiple authors with diverse credentials with respect to the authors.

In my opinion this should not even be an issue. There is zero difference in outcomes for well trained dpms vs do/mds doing ankle fractures. This was done with all skewed data that favored orthopedic. In my 25 yrs as division chief, we have never have had an issue with ankle ORIFs that showed any difference in outcomes based on who performed it. Period.
Sounds like you should have done a retrospective 25-year study....JK love you.

Ortho collegue asked me to fix this for them this week. Where do I publish my study?

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Ortho collegue asked me to fix this for them this week. Where do I publish my study?
Yep... it a lot of good and bad outcomes all around. "If you're not having complications, you're not doing surgery." We always assume that if we don't see the patient, then the surgery worked well.

The funny part is, at least where I've worked, generally the local F&A orthos won't bad-talk the DPMs (at least the well trained ones who do a fair amount of surgery). There is basically a silent treatment - but also a guarded interest in what procedures one another is doing when looking at the surgery schedule or seeing patients who had prior surgery at the other. Most of the classy ones just promote themselves, but the ortho F&A might have stuff on their website saying they have better training than pods or pods saying better than F&A ortho (NOT a good look) or whatever, some even do the 'research' articles or derogatory journal commentary. The original article airbud linked is F&A orthos in SCaro, which is basically the most backward of all states for scope (along with Bama).... and that's always going to be tough. The way to win and keep the $ train rolling without wasting time is honestly to not play the ego game... just do good work, be cool with everyone, and treat ppl like ppl.

But in general, terms of actually talking to pts, F&A ortho docs seem to know they have plenty of their own dirt floating around and DPMs could just as easily talk poorly about their subpar or just plain bad outcomes in return. It has been my exp that there is more mutual respect and less catty behavior (to avoid inciting litigation both ways... but also just to be a decent person and doc for the pt)... sometimes even the occasional exchange of basic small talk in the surgery lounge DPM to F&A ortho. Both well-trained DPMs and F&A fellowship orthos are small worlds. I actually try to chat with the good F&A near me, put a face to the name, and even to potentially send them stuff. Chances are I've heard of their fellowship director or we have at least a bit of common ground. I send them out of my scope stuff like BKAs, tib/fib bumper fx, some pilon... also second opinion, TAR candidates, highly complex recon, etc based on what they like to do (or sometimes other DPMs for some of that). "Knowledge is the antidote to fear." You probably won't be buddy-buddy, but don't be afraid of them. West Penn was probably one of the best ever at having relationships with Myerson, Paley, Pomeroy, etc... or Ohio OFAS with Hyer, Berlet, et al.

The biggest bashing problems and the most vocal anti-podiatry orthos (to pts and other docs or hospital admins, etc) are often actually the gen orthos who are just trying to damage the business of anyone who is the competition for their group's F&A cases/referrals and competing with their F&A guy (usually an ortho F&A but occasionally a DPM or gen ortho who does F&A stuff). That always made me say "hmmm" when surgeons who do total joints or spine or whatever - little or no foot stuff and limited ankle - are vocal and acting like all DPMs belong making orthotics, prescribing toenail potions, and never in the OR.

...This 41F pt below was actually a trauma fellowship ortho who did the ORIF about a year ago; he does pretty fair work in most of his other ankle calc etc I've seen out here so far but left the area (she'd refused to go back to him when I met her a month ago, even before I found out he'd moved away). Who knows if she did weightbearing early after ORIF or whatever; no surgeon comes up roses 100% of the time. This was not his best day, though... she is normal BMI and should've healed better. Another DPM in my area had given inject and told her maybe hindfoot recon and consider TAR (whaaa??). I honestly just play dumb when they get to me and tell them, "it's hard for me to comment since I wasn't there back then when you were getting the other treatments... let's just get you better from here on out." I think she missed her f/u last week, but I will need to fuse it with a fairly complicated case (she can't walk without a CAM boot right now... sad stuff).
ankle varus orif.jpg

Last edited:
That is just JewOnThis' other account he can use if he forgets his main login.

...I am awaiting ortho journal pubs describing the size of ortho vs podiatry biceps, bench press, manhood, etc... but the problem is that the majority of orthos are actually cool and normal people.
Nah man. I’ve been on vacation.

Well, having published a couple of papers in the past- I can tell you it will be extremely hard to publish this type of content without knowing some people internally.

Meh, who cares? I'll keep doing my thing and fixing all the local Orthos' mistakes like I've been doing for 20+ years.

Are you going to explain to the next patient who brings up this hit about how bad the data is? I won't. I'll let my own reputation and outcomes determine how I practice.

All we're doing is feeding into the frenzy, by even give this article the time of day.

Meh, who cares? I'll keep doing my thing and fixing all the local Orthos' mistakes like I've been doing for 20+ years.

Are you going to explain to the next patient who brings up this hit about how bad the data is? I won't. I'll let my own reputation and outcomes determine how I practice.

All we're doing is feeding into the frenzy, by even give this article the time of day.

I try to avoid the “us vs them” mentality - mostly because we work in the same group together.

Congratulations?

What I was actually more subtly saying is that you’re propagating the old podiatrist mentality of “us vs them”.

What I was actually more subtly saying is that you’re propagating the old podiatrist mentality of “us vs them”.

And you aren't speaking out for Podiatrists because you work with "them" and out of fear of repercussions. And the fact of the matter is that there IS an "us vs them". It isn't a "mentality". It's fact. You are just choosing not to address it. Which doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So yeah, congratulation.

I address it by doing better work than "them". And for the last 20+ years, I've succeeded.

And you aren't speaking out for Podiatrists because you work with "them" and out of fear of repercussions. And the fact of the matter is that there IS an "us vs them". It isn't a "mentality". It's fact. You are just choosing not to address it. Which doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So yeah, congratulation.

I address it by doing better work than "them". And for the last 20+ years, I've succeeded.

Spoken like a true old podiatrist that is out of touch with reality. The ‘I/we do better work than “them”’ is a dead giveaway.

Also let me clarify that I work WITH them and not FOR them. The fear of repercussions comment is just nonsense. I’m a partner in the group just like the other physicians.

• Haha
There should not be an us/them. In a lot of cases its not an us/them and in my location podiatry/ortho work great together. I have no ortho complaints in any way or form locally here.

In the case of this "shots fired" article it is an us/them topic.

put down the nail nippers and hug it out bros.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Spoken like a true old podiatrist that is out of touch with reality. The ‘I/we do better work than “them”’ is a dead giveaway.

Also let me clarify that I work WITH them and not FOR them. The fear of repercussions comment is just nonsense. I’m a partner in the group just like the other physicians.

Except I do. Well documented. And I'm not "old". You are older than me. I'm pretty sure. If you are a partner in a group, you are an employee with financial interest. Who is the majority share partner? You? I bet not.

Get off your high horse. I'm not buying it for a second.

There should not be an us/them. In a lot of cases its not an us/them and in my location podiatry/ortho work great together. I have no ortho complaints in any way or form locally here.

In the case of this "shots fired" article it is an us/them topic.

LOL, I have worked in many parts of the USA. Nowhere I've been has this "kumbaya" relationship between Ortho and Podiatry.

It IS an "us vs them". Just like the other guy, just because it doesn't effect you, doesn't me it isn't the reality.

Congratulations on being a “partner”. Wait until they hire one of their own then you will definitely become a “partner” except this time you will be wearing knee pads with your mouth open.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.