Here we go... Stony Brook or Maryland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofapizzaman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an interview invite from Maryland yesterday and I was very surprised to hear from them this late. Anyone else? I already have an offer from Stony Brook, and I am on Buffalo's wait list, so I am trying to decide if it make sense to make the trip to MD. I have heard some great things about all three schools. It is important to know that am an NY resident...

Any feedback for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 1st year at Maryland and absolutely love it. I honestly believe that if you have financial resources you should explore all your options because you never know what may impress you. That being said it would be borderline foolish to give up in state tuition unless you had a very compelling reason.

Jake makes some good points, but after reading the WSJ article about student debt, SB sounds like a no brainer. It doesn't hurt that its a great school either haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a 1st year at Maryland and absolutely love it. I honestly believe that if you have financial resources you should explore all your options because you never know what may impress you. That being said it would be borderline foolish to give up in state tuition unless you had a very compelling reason.

Hey Jake8, do you still love it? I hear that Maryland is going to make some decisions in April. I am still waiting to get some sort of answer since I interviewed in February. I am a big fan of your school, but I always appreciate more input.

sb is really depressing. i transferred out of there ASAP (as an undergrad). not sure how it is for grad students, but if you plan on living on campus or even staying on campus a lot, you might (read: probably will) be miserable. i'm sure not ALL sb students feel that way, but most of the people i know do. that said, it's in-state tuition and a great school, so if i myself were to get in, i'd have to very seriously consider going there. have you ever been to visit? if you think you can make it work or at least keep yourself happy, then i would pick sb over maryland.

just my 2 cents