MD-dilemma

15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
Status (Visible)
During my senior year of high school I took two foreign- language classes through a PSEO-program; one in the fall semester and one in the spring semester. The classes were actually tought by my language teacher from high school. So, after completing the fall semester class, I realized early-on in spring semester that I didn't want to take another language class, but I was aleady signed up. I tried to drop the class in the second week, but was refused by my teacher.

At my high school, you're allowed to drop a class in the first two weeks, no questions asked. But, since this class was PSEO, and the deadline for dropping classes at the college sponsoring the PSEO ends in the first week of classes, I could not drop the class. However, I was okayed to change my grading scale from A/F to Pass/Fail. The beauty of this pass/fail grading system, is irrespective of receiving the pass or the fail, your GPA is completely unaffected. But, for various reasons, mostly because it was last semester of senior year and I was stricken with "senioritis," I failed the class. I knew I would fail it, but really didn't care since my high school AND PSEO (college) GPAs would be unaffected, not to mention the colleges which I applied to would not even see my second semester high school transcript.

Now, two years into college, I realize I want to go to med school, but have this 3000 level 4 credit language class from 2002 on my transcript reading: 4 credits attempted, 0 credits earned. Of course it was foolish to not grind it out my senior year, but I didn't really think this far ahead. My college grades beside this class I took in high school are great.

But I'm wondering how adcoms will respond to this, or if I will need to explain this at any point during the admission process.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I doubt this will be a huge issue. You may be asked to explain it, but as long as the rest of your grades are decent, you do well on the MCAT, and have decent ECs a college-credit class that you failed while in HS is unlikely to hold you back.

mlw03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i agree with drmom - don't sweat this. it's HIGH SCHOOL class, and it was an elective class at that. there are much bigger things to worry about than this.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.