Here's a retentive question: Folding secondaries for letter-sized envelopes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XildUpNawth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you folding your secondaries and putting them in letter-sized envelopes or sending them flat in those big manila jobbers? (I feel that this is a new personal low in detail-orientedness.)

Members don't see this ad.

I send them flat in USPS Priority mail envelopes with delivery confirmation. It costs like $4. They have the sleeves at the post office. If you're worried about wrinkling them on the way you can snitch a FEDEX envelope for free from a fedex box.

EDIT: Or, you could send them Pony Express. Whatever.

Wow....I really really really wanted to post this same question, but I was afraid people would label me as insane.

I don't really like folding them up, cuz I figure that they get stacked somewhere, and I don't really want mine making the pile fall over. (yes, I put WAY too much thought into this)

What have other people done?

Members don't see this ad :)
booswim542 said:
Wow....I really really really wanted to post this same question, but I was afraid people would label me as insane.

I don't really like folding them up, cuz I figure that they get stacked somewhere, and I don't really want mine making the pile fall over. (yes, I put WAY too much thought into this)

What have other people done?

Well I guess the fundamental difference between you and me is that you're afraid people will label you as insane and I'm pretty sure we all ARE insane. I mean, we're thinking about envelopes at 2:15 a.m. Somebody call the bin.

XildUpNawth said:
Well I guess the fundamental difference between you and me is that you're afraid people will label you as insane and I'm pretty sure we all ARE insane. I mean, we're thinking about envelopes at 2:15 a.m. Somebody call the bin.

:thumbup: You guys are so awesome.
I mean, in undergrad, at 2:15 am, we were drawing mechanisms on our whiteboards for ochem. We were mapping out the Kreb's Cycle. We were getting it on with our boyfriends. Why is thinking about envelopes any different? :laugh: :thumbup:

Ok....if it really is 2:15 your time, maybe you are a little nuts...it's only 11:15 here! I'm on my way to bed, I just submitted my Wake secondary. ;)

XildUpNawth said:

I was too cheap to buy manilla envelopes. After this admissions process I am too broke to even pay 25 cents for an envelope

joanofarc0907 said:
I was too cheap to buy manilla envelopes. After this admissions process I am too broke to even pay 25 cents for an envelope

JOAN the PRIORITY mail ones are FREE at the post office. Hells yeah. Save your money for breakfast burritos!! :)

jackieMD2007 said:
JOAN the PRIORITY mail ones are FREE at the post office. Hells yeah. Save your money for breakfast burritos!! :)

eh but that requires a trip to the post office and with gas prices....no really I am just lazy :laugh:

I just bought a pack of manila envelopes at the store (12 for 3.00). I put 2 stamps on them (39 cents x2) and send them regular mail. My apps have been taking 2-3 days to get to the schools (even the ones all the way across the country). I don't feel like I need delivery confirmation cuz schools notify you when they get your secondary anyway. If you don't hear from them, call and if they never got it, then just resend - that has not happened to me yet though. *knocking on wood*

The envelopes are free, but $4 for mailing three sheets of fricking paper? If my trailer trash folded secondary gets me rejected, I wouldn't have been happy there anyway. Ah folds mah secondaries and ah chaws mah baccy. Kiss mah grits, GWU.

booswim542 said:
I just bought a pack of manila envelopes at the store (12 for 3.00). I put 2 stamps on them (39 cents x2) and send them regular mail. My apps have been taking 2-3 days to get to the schools (even the ones all the way across the country). I don't feel like I need delivery confirmation cuz schools notify you when they get your secondary anyway. If you don't hear from them, call and if they never got it, then just resend - that has not happened to me yet though. *knocking on wood*

whats wrong with folding secondaries into regular letter size?? for real, if adcoms hate on my creases, they are lame anyways

I don't think the adcoms are going to care either way. Perhaps some of them like folds.

Isn't 25 cents per envelop a bit high? I remember getting big manila envelops for less than that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
See, i knew someone would finally say that. I don't even know anymore. Applications have taken over my life and these little details drive me mad.

I think I'm gonna go to bed now.

ps. i probably did get ripped off on the envelopes, i bought them at the school bookstore. blah.

Kids, use priority envelopes. They are free. And delivery confirmation will give you piece of mind. I'm going to bed. It's late. See you tomorrow. May we all get interviews at our dream schools tomorrow.

booswim542 said:

Yah, and if they don't get it and you have delivery confirmation that it arrived, is it really productive to get into a pissing match with some secretary about how I HAVE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION AND IT MUST BE THERE, BEE-OTCH!!! Not that I'm above that, mind you.

sentrosi said:
I don't think the adcoms are going to care either way. Perhaps some of them like folds.

Isn't 25 cents per envelop a bit high? I remember getting big manila envelops for less than that much.

Its 2am...i wasn't looking up the prices on 'nilla envelopes or anything

XildUpNawth said:
Yah, and if they don't get it and you have delivery confirmation that it arrived, is it really productive to get into a pissing match with some secretary about how I HAVE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION AND IT MUST BE THERE, BEE-OTCH!!! Not that I'm above that, mind you.

Now that is comedy, kids. :laugh:

booswim542 said:
Ok....if it really is 2:15 your time, maybe you are a little nuts...it's only 11:15 here! I'm on my way to bed, I just submitted my Wake secondary. ;)

You're so right. I was actually preparing for my oral Spanish exam tomorrow, but my Spanish was starting to sound like Ewok so I decided to put secondaries in envelopes instead. You know, that excuse doesn't actually make me sound any more sane. I give up.

jackieMD2007 said:
Now that is comedy, kids. :laugh:
Right, they could totally make a flashback episode of Scrubs with all the material we bring up on SDN. Too bad only pre-meds will probably get it.

sentrosi said:
Right, they could totally make a flashback episode of Scrubs with all the material we bring up on SDN. Too bad only pre-meds will probably get it.
omg, that's a great idea! i would love to see elliot calling all the schools yelling why she didn't get an interview invite yet. and turk could get teased about AA. and at JD's interview, they could ask him "what are your future goals?" and he'll daydream and say "to be the tallest doctor in the world!"

you guys are funny! last cycle i sent mine folded, non-priority mail, and recieved interviews. i think you'll be fine however it gets there, as long as it gets there. i wanted to fill one out in crayon and send it in but never got around to it.

manilla envelopes reminded me of this time i had to call the paramedics for my friend whose tongue swelled up and started choking her (due to an allergic reaction). she's only allergic to bananas. we found out later that manilla envelopes have banana fiber (??) in them and prior to her episode, she had licked a manilla envelope to seal it, which triggered her reaction. crazy.

anyway, good luck guys, may your envelopes arrive safely at their destinations!

Mine are getting folded and going in regular envelopes. I'm too lazy to go to the post office and pay extra for the delivery confirmation crap. If it doesn't arrive, I'll send it again.

chaeymaey said:
omg, that's a great idea! i would love to see elliot calling all the schools yelling why she didn't get an interview invite yet. and turk could get teased about AA. and at JD's interview, they could ask him "what are your future goals?" and he'll daydream and say "to be the tallest doctor in the world!"

hahaha. classic. i'll give an honorary "frick on a stick" for my first rejection.

XildUpNawth said:
The envelopes are free, but $4 for mailing three sheets of fricking paper? If my trailer trash folded secondary gets me rejected, I wouldn't have been happy there anyway. Ah folds mah secondaries and ah chaws mah baccy. Kiss mah grits, GWU.

Best. Response. Ever.

I've received both of my paper secondaries folded, so I don't really think it should be a problem to send them back that way. If it helps you be more confident, though, send them out any way you want- it won't hurt, and any source of confidence you can get in this whole process is great.

I have sent my first few secondaries folded in regular #10 security envelopes. I just like the look of a nice clean envelope that is just a little puffy from the precise 2-crease folded bright white application sheets. The outside, of course, displays the sharply printed and perfectly centered 12pt-type school address and pre-printed return address lable aligned with the upper left corner. The 39 cent American Flag stamp stands out nicely on the other corner, its placement perfectly level with the return address and its stark colors drawing attention and offering a sense of aesthetic satisfaction. Ahhhh. Its a work of art. :D

Haemulon said:
I have sent my first few secondaries folded in regular #10 security envelopes. I just like the look of a nice clean envelope that is just a little puffy from the precise 2-crease folded bright white application sheets. The outside, of course, displays the sharply printed and perfectly centered 12pt-type school address and pre-printed return address lable aligned with the upper left corner. The 39 cent American Flag stamp stands out nicely on the other corner, its placement perfectly level with the return address and its stark colors drawing attention and offering a sense of aesthetic satisfaction. Ahhhh. Its a work of art. :D

That sounds like a nice process. I do all that, but then I also give the completed envelope a shoulder massage and some aromatherapy before sending it out into the cruel, cruel world. Alright little guy, you can do it!

XildUpNawth said:
That sounds like a nice process. I do all that, but then I also give the completed envelope a shoulder massage and some aromatherapy before sending it out into the cruel, cruel world. Alright little guy, you can do it!

:idea: I hadn't thought of that! :thumbup:

However, I do offer mine a nice cocktail and set it up on a pillow for a good nite's rest before the big day at the post office. I want them to look their best.

Guys... the envelope situation never even crossed my mind. This obviously means I'm going to be a terrible doctor. Seriously... I've been folding mine into thirds, handwriting the address, and sending them off into the big-mail-bag-of-death with all the other coach-class letters. And now, at my file complete schools, there's a little gap in the secondary pile, mocking the adcom, saying "just wait till September when this pile gets taller... I'm going to make your life hell" And then, some bitter adcom will pull out my poor little folded up letter that's causing all the fuss and say "oh, CavMD, you had so much potential..." :scared:

CavalierMD said:
Guys... the envelope situation never even crossed my mind. This obviously means I'm going to be a terrible doctor. Seriously... I've been folding mine into thirds, handwriting the address, and sending them off into the big-mail-bag-of-death with all the other coach-class letters. And now, at my file complete schools, there's a little gap in the secondary pile, mocking the adcom, saying "just wait till September when this pile gets taller... I'm going to make your life hell" And then, some bitter adcom will pull out my poor little folded up letter that's causing all the fuss and say "oh, CavMD, you had so much potential..." :scared:

Wow, it is so gratifying to contribute to the paranoia of others. I wish I had thought to use that on my Columbia secondary, as one of the "satisfactions I expect to receive from my activities as a physician." But seriously, I am folding them crooked, scrawling semi-legible addresses on the envelopes, licking them with genuine saliva, and putting them in campus mail, which is the equivalent of the witness protection program for envelopes. Don't sweat it.

XildUpNawth said:
Wow, it is so gratifying to contribute to the paranoia of others. I wish I had thought to use that on my Columbia secondary, as one of the "satisfactions I expect to receive from my activities as a physician." But seriously, I am folding them crooked, scrawling semi-legible addresses on the envelopes, licking them with genuine saliva, and putting them in campus mail, which is the equivalent of the witness protection program for envelopes. Don't sweat it.

wow I was totally kidding. I do not sweat things. And genuine saliva is really the only way to go...

CavalierMD said:
wow I was totally kidding. I do not sweat things. And genuine saliva is really the only way to go...

Especially after eating a really juicy barbque sandwich :thumbup:

CavalierMD said:

I knew dems wuz jokes, I just didn't want to waste the opportunity to be sarcastic. ;)

XildUpNawth said:
I knew dems wuz jokes, I just didn't want to waste the opportunity to be sarcastic. ;)

Xiled, yuz talx so seeeeeexy. :love:

Well kids, I have to go take my oral Spanish exam. I've enjoyed your banter. Let's discuss the envelope issue in more depth this afternoon, shall we?

XildUpNawth said:
Well kids, I have to go take my oral Spanish exam. I've enjoyed your banter. Let's discuss the envelope issue in more depth this afternoon, shall we?

Agreed. :thumbup: :sleep:

I’ve been using manila envelopes. My photo form to one school was “returned to sender” because it exceeded the size requirements. You should call the school to see if there are any size limitations on the mailbox before sending a large envelope.

star2007 said:
I’ve been using manila envelopes. My photo form to one school was “returned to sender” because it exceeded the size requirements. You should call the school to see if there are any size limitations on the mailbox before sending a large envelope.

You're kidding, right? You couldn't send a manila envelope because it was too big for the school's mailbox?? :confused:

hlchess said:
You're kidding, right? You couldn't send a manila envelope because it was too big for the school's mailbox?? :confused:

Maybe she sent it with one of those super huge cards like they make as a birthday gag. A huge 2 1/2 foot tall "Thank you for the secondary invite" card along with the application. :D

Haemulon said:
Maybe she sent it with one of those super huge cards like they make as a birthday gag. A huge 2 1/2 foot tall "Thank you for the secondary invite" card along with the application. :D

Yah, that would be awesome. It should be one of those cards that plays the tinny off-key music. Maybe "He's a Jolly Good Fellow."

XildUpNawth said:
Yah, that would be awesome. It should be one of those cards that plays the tinny off-key music. Maybe "He's a Jolly Good Fellow."

Dude, I should so do this for one school. We should all pick the same school and send in our apps in really huge envelopes, especially if it plays music. :laugh:

Actually, there are cards that play music or whatever that you record on them yourself. That opens up a world of possibilities.

jackieMD2007 said:
Kids, use priority envelopes. They are free. And delivery confirmation will give you piece of mind. I'm going to bed. It's late. See you tomorrow. May we all get interviews at our dream schools tomorrow.
piece of mind, eh? Guys, be my guess. For all intensive purposes, this isn't a really big deal. The adcom won't think you're on the straighten arrow just because you used a priority envelope. But hey, if it gives you piece of mind, you minus well.

TheProwler said:
piece of mind, eh? Guys, be my guess. For all intensive purposes, this isn't a really big deal. The adcom won't think you're on the straighten arrow just because you used a priority envelope. But hey, if it gives you piece of mind, you minus well.

There's so much warm, fuzzy absurdity in the world yet you choose cold, prickly correctness. Being right won't tuck you in at night, my friend. ;)

TheProwler said:

OK, so, as much as I love Jackie... this post is just brilliant. Like, I could jump you right now brilliant... :p

TheProwler said:
You want anal, I'll give you anal:

It's for all "intents and purposes," not all intensive purposes.

It's you "might as well," not you minus well. Unless she's very good at subtraction.

I knew that English degree would come in handy.

chaeymaey said:
You want anal, I'll give you anal:

It's for all "intents and purposes," not all intensive purposes.

It's you "might as well," not you minus well. Unless she's very good at subtraction.

I knew that English degree would come in handy.

As I said before, dems wuz jokes. Too bad you can't major in sarcasm detection.