Heres another one!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KababMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying in the upcoming cycle (2010), just want to know what my chances are, or should I be considering the Carribeans

Currently have a 3.5 GPA, it shall go up hopefully within 2 semesters before i apply to a 3.57-3.6 (hopefully)

Worked full time my freshmen and sophmore year (hence the low gpa), needed to pay for college
Havent taken MCAT's but studying rite now
Research 2 years, Poster presentations, etc,
Shadowed a few MD's and one DO
Volunteer in ED
TA'ed a few Biology Courses
3 Week Hurrican Relief Effort
Volunteer 'here and there' at the church
Soup Kitchen Volunteer

Had a rough freshmen year, didnt know if I was going to be doing medicine, however now I'm damn sure I want to be a doctor, especially after shadowing several physicians

What do you guys think my chances are, I dont know how I'm going to do on the MCAT's tho,

Members don't see this ad.

Looks good for me, especially if you can pull up that GPA a bit. Just rock the MCAT and you should have nothing to worry about. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Average GPA. Decent looking ECs...how many hrs volunteering?

Leadership?

Hard to say without the MCAT but you are not in a bad position right now....looking pretty average overall...:)

I would say by application time, 'total clinical experience' (shadowing+volunteer) shall amount to about 300 hours
Leadership...hmm I'm a TA for courses, does that count?

I would say by application time, 'total clinical experience' (shadowing+volunteer) shall amount to about 300 hours
Leadership...hmm I'm a TA for courses, does that count?

I would say TA "yes". But, maybe try being an officer in an organization. It looks good and not that much work usually.

Your clinical experience looks good....I would make sure to continue with the volunteering until you see an acceptance letter....

I would put TA under Teaching (another valued EC), unless you have a very proactive teaching style that is convincingly leadership-y when you describe it.

I like your ECs. Your research is above average. I hope your many clinical hours are spread out over a year or more rather than acquired in a few months. Adcomms will like to see a dedication to testing medicine as a vocation over a long period of time. You have good variety with the shadowing. You have non-medical community service, which is great. The higher you can get your GPA these last semesters, the more choices you'll have come application time. I think you should do fine, assuming a competitive MCAT score. Start collecting LOR possibilities, and think about your Personal Statement.

Thanks for input, what about Carribeans guys, should I be thinking that, I dont know how well I'm going to do on my mcats, furthermore I'm thinking of a few MD/pHD schools but those are all a reach

Will medical schools see that I was working my freshmen and sophomore year, should I get a LOR from my boss?

Think DO before you consider Caribbean.

Employment also has a place on your Primary application. Adcomms will see how busy your were.

LORs should primarily be from teachers or research mentors if possible.