Heres my info: lemme know if i can make it or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednoob

I ask noobish questions
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aight ppl heres my stats

-gpa: 3.45
-mcat: 31
-2 letters of rec. 1 from my bio professor and 1 from a director of dis community service thing i used 2 work 4
-i got no research. screw that i hate research...maddd boringg...
-400 hrs of volunteer xperience in da healthcare field
-i got 1 award from bak in ma high school yrs for bein involved in healthcare volunteer xperience in senior yr. i think dis wud b good cuz it shows da med schoolz dat im interested in healthcare from early on.
-major: bio

iite if n e 1 got any advice or can comment on ma stats that wud b great. i need to beef up ma app.

1 more thing: i wanna go 2 suny downstate i know its not like a top tier med school but its decent do u think my stats r gud 4 there?

ty pce iight 1

Members don't see this ad.

well one thing I know...get atleast one more science lOr and one humanities.

With that "english" I'd love to read your PS

"Yo son lyk iite i wuna b doc cus itz tite **** yo"

Members don't see this ad :)
With that "english" I'd love to read your PS

"Yo son lyk iite i wuna b doc cus itz tite **** yo"

i dnt type like dis when i do college wrk n definitely not in my ps.

if u got a problem with the way i type dnt bother 2 reply 2 the thread in da 1st place.

i dnt type like dis when i do college wrk n definitely not in my ps.

if u got a problem with the way i type dnt bother 2 reply 2 the thread in da 1st place.

ow d0 u mange 2 typ lyk dis in da 1st place? do tose shrthnd wrds rly save u tyme in ur day? by not splling out teh wrd "two", do u hve more tyme to get dat shizzz don?

If you become a doctor, pharmacists are gonna have fun reading your perscriptions.

"yo aiight son giv dis shortty dat gud viko shiz"

Last I checked, spelling and forming complete sentences were reasonably important aspects of being a doctor. That aside, your scores are average (MCAT) and a tad below average (GPA). You should be fine if you get the rest of your app in order.

I think your stats look good. I agree with chubby. You might want to get some extra letters to cover your bases. There is a file which has a general outline of the letters required by some of the schools floating around here. Try the search function for threads about lors. Get you app in as soon as possible while still maintaining a high quality.

Check out MDapps and MSAR to get an idea of the stats people have when applying there. Of course take MDapps with a huge grain of salt as people are not always truthful.

Also try searching the forum for threads on SUNY so that you find out as much information as possible on what tactics people had in applying/staying on top of their app. If you aren't restricted in terms of location, etc., you may want to consider backup schools (applying broadly) as the process is believed to have a degree of randomness.

From what I've seen, this process is all about how well you can sell yourself and who can sell themselves better as the more qualified applicant.

Wish you the best of luck!!:luck:

P.S.- Don't let the @-holes and trolls on SDN irritate you to much, they apparently get their kicks out of unnecessarily provoking people over the most idiotic things.

TY sooo much!!! dis is the response i was looking 4. ya im not guna let dese idiots irritate me dey have nothin better 2 do.

Last time I checked this was an anonymous premed forum and not a hospital, so no one should get their panties in a twist. They are important skills for a doctor to have but I don't remember them being a necessity for anonymous online posts. Again, good luck to the OP!

exactly!!!! tyyyy o so much lol. :love:

I agree with the above: at least one more letter of rec...preferably two though. Usually they want 2 from science faculty and 1 clinical. No clinical rec letter is a killer for many schools according to what I hear.

Your GPA is good enough and so is your MCAT. I'd target lots of private schools with average GPAs and MCATs in your range. Where do you have state residency? your local state university might be the answer (unless you are in CA or TX...they are super tough even as in-state).

I think you are on the right track, though. Good Luck.

I agree with the above: at least one more letter of rec...preferably two though. Usually they want 2 from science faculty and 1 clinical. No clinical rec letter is a killer for many schools according to what I hear.

Your GPA is good enough and so is your MCAT. I'd target lots of private schools with average GPAs and MCATs in your range. Where do you have state residency? your local state university might be the answer (unless you are in CA or TX...they are super tough even as in-state).

I think you are on the right track, though. Good Luck.

thank u very much

your local state university might be the answer (unless you are in CA or TX...they are super tough even as in-state).

Actually TX is pretty easy instate... Way easier than getting into the UCs or U Washington, etc... The only "hard" schools in TX are UT Southwestern and Baylor, the other schools are all below the national average for MCAT stats. TX also has the most number of slots per med school applicant.

Sorry for rambling, just have to set the record straight on my state!!!

What do you mean by clinical rec letter? It is usually 1/2 science professors and 1 non-science professor plus others from PIs or professors. The consensus on this board seems to be that letters from doctors you shadowed aren't that great unless they really knew you? Can you give examples of clinical letters?

What do you mean by clinical rec letter? It is usually 1/2 science professors and 1 non-science professor plus others from PIs or professors. The consensus on this board seems to be that letters from doctors you shadowed aren't that great unless they really knew you? Can you give examples of clinical letters?

From what I have heard the best 5 letter combination is as follows: 2 science, 1 non-science (i.e. humanities, social science, etc.), 1 clinical, 1 research. That's what I was told by two independent pre-med advisors at two schools I attended.

A clinical letter is any letter that evaluates you and your work in a clinical/medical setting. For example, I volunteered at a children's hospital for over a year and my volunteer supervisor offered to write me a letter. I think letters that evaluate your interactions with patients and fellow staff/volunteers are most valuable, since letters from science and other faculty will not very likely talk about those aspects very much (they are more likely to tell something off your academic prowess or your problem solving skills and your outstanding grades).

I doubt that the 5 letter thing I mentioned above is a rule set in stone however. I did call a couple medical schools and they told me that a clinical letter is very important. In the end, I think it comes down to having letters of rec/eval from people that really got to know you beyond grades, test scores, and the occasional office hr visit. The best letters, I think, come from people that can attest to your strong character, your strengths in interpersonal and communication skills, as well your dedication to helping other people and your passion for becoming a physician.

Apart from getting more letters, like everyone said... I hope that the 400 hours of "healthcare experience" wasn't accrued mostly in high school. If not, you should be fine if you apply broadly and to schools that fit you (non-research). Best of luck to you!