Here's my situation and need major help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watsupdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT last August and bombed it (under 20). Planning to retake in July or August. If I apply early, I think admissions will disregard my application because of my first score. I have a 3.5 GPA, a lot of volunteer experience and great recommendation letters. I'm stressing about this. I need help. I feel like giving up. What should I do? I'm studying now but feel like I won't be prepared by July but I might be well prepared by August. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you would like to re-take the MCAT. From what I've heard and seen on this forum-

1. Re-take the MCAT only if and when you are better prepared than the last time.

2. Did you do badly last time bcs of any particular reasons, then you may explain those in your personal statement?? Or try doing courses to make up for the MCAT? if these are applicable/possible

3. Calm down and re-think on what went wrong the last time... was it the sciences or VR? Was it knowledge of concepts or test taking? You've really got to analyse what went wrong.. and prepare rigorously to make up for those specific shortcomings, rather than going over the entire prep process.

that's my two cents.. hope it helps! best of luck and chilll..... its not the end of the world if your MCAT was badd..:) overcome your stress, and calmly think abt what you need to do- thats half the problem solved!!

Retake it as early as possible, and submit your primary as soon as you get your new score. Send in your transcripts to AMCAS ASAP. That should reduce the time your application is in processing. If you really do have outstanding letters and ECs, you should get an interview somewhere. Just make sure to get your secondaries in ASAP.

so if i retake the mcat in july, i should apply in july or should I apply as soon as possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
have you considered taking a year off and applying next year? That would give you plenty of time to retake the MCAT and pick up a research position or something which would definitely strengthen your overall application. I personally think it would be worth it to take your time since it is a process that will likely impact the rest of your life.

i graduated fall of 2006 and i don't want a long break from medical school. I want to get into medical school by 2008. I have a lot of volunteering experience. I know this is what i want to do in my life.

I don't think sending out a primary with a score under 20 is a good idea at all, even if you do indicate on there that you're rewriting. 27 or smth is a different situation, but 20 is a pretty dismal score (sorry, being straightforward, and I'm sure you know this yourself already).

DON'T rush into taking the MCAT as early as possible to apply this year....better wait another year, prepare your butt off, get a 30+, and get in for 2009 than to take it this July, get a 24-26 or something else unacceptable along those lines (unacceptable for a rewrite), get rejected everywhere and have to go through it AGAIN. And next time it will be even harder - the more you rewrite, the more suspicious you look. E.g., they might start thinking "how come this kid is unable to apply him/herself completely on his/her first try?" Nobody wants to accept someone who can be reasonably expected to bomb the USMLEs over and over 2 years later.

Take the time to prepare to give your best. The world is not going to come crumbling down if you don't enter in 2008. I'm sure you could come up with SOMETHING to keep yourself busy for an extra year.

Why wait another year? The first time I took the MCAT was in August 2006. I have studied quite a bit to know that I will do way better for this year's MCAT. All I know is that I want to get into the 2008 matriculation year. The question is if I should send my application after I take the MCAT or apply early? I want to at least try to apply and see my chances. If I don't get in the first time then I'll try again next time. I am hopeful.

Why wait another year? The first time I took the MCAT was in August 2006. I have studied quite a bit to know that I will do way better for this year's MCAT. All I know is that I want to get into the 2008 matriculation year. The question is if I should send my application after I take the MCAT or apply early? I want to at least try to apply and see my chances. If I don't get in the first time then I'll try again next time. I am hopeful.
How are your current practice tests running? If you're not consistently hitting in the high 20s or better on multiple practice tests taken under timed, test-like conditions, take the extra year off so that you can prepare for the test properly. Don't waste your time and money applying to med school with an MCAT score in the teens. And realistically, you need to be an early applicant (read: submit in June) because your GPA is average, and your second MCAT score may also be average or below average. (The averages for matriculants to allo schools are 3.6 GPA and 31 MCAT.)

I know this is not what you want to hear, and I'm sorry for that. But FWIW, you're very young; I started med school at age 31, and you certainly won't be "old" at age 23 or 24. The app process is awful even when you apply with stellar stats; many very competitive candidates find themselves holding an empty bag come August. Don't embark on this journey until you make your app as strong as you possibly can. :luck: to you. :)

A sub-20 MCAT score on your record will require that you do even better than you otherwise would've had to in order to redeem yourself. You should not even think about applying until you can log onto THx and see a 30+ MCAT score chilling there.

I took the MCAT last August and bombed it (under 20). Planning to retake in July or August. If I apply early, I think admissions will disregard my application because of my first score. I have a 3.5 GPA, a lot of volunteer experience and great recommendation letters. I'm stressing about this. I need help. I feel like giving up. What should I do? I'm studying now but feel like I won't be prepared by July but I might be well prepared by August. Please help.

after i received my mcat score last year I began studying hard for the next. I think i am prepared for this august because I have been hitting around the mid 30's with practice tests. I'll try apply to my state school and see what happens.

i have decided to apply for 2009 matriculation year. I figured my app stats are not good enough and the earlier the better. What should I do about my letter of recommendation and transcripts? Should I tell them to write them later? Now should I take my MCAT in August or September?