Here's my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rugox

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would really like some opinions on this matter.

Right now I've just finished my 3rd year in April and entering fourth year in September. I am debating whether I should apply for med school for the 07/08 cycle. If so, I would be taking the MCAT in August because I hadn't taken it in April or never for that matter.

The problem is, if I decide not to apply this year, I would have to take a year off next year and apply to med school for the 08/09 cycle. This means I would be off for a year after graduation. I've considered about taking another extra year of university but I have no definite information about this and its possibility.

On top of this, if I do decide to apply this year for 07/08, I have to complete my application by the 1st of september and my MCAT scores will be released past that date. This means I would be applying to med school without knowing my MCAT scores until after the application is submitted.

I guess it's all up to me to weigh the possibility of doing good on the MCAT and my ability to do so, but opinions would really help me make a decision too. Also, are there any people out there who went the route of taking a year off after graduation to prepare for med school while doing other things? Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying to US allopathic schools? If so, you have until November 1 (for most schools I believe) to submit the primary (AMCAS) application. It's definitely better to submit earlier than that, though. You can fill out and submit AMCAS before you have taken the MCAT, though. Fill everything out, write your personal statement, get your transcripts sent to AMCAS, etc. Then you can get verified and your application will be complete and sent off to schools as soon as your MCAT score is in. If you take it in August, you will have your score about 30 days later in September.

Taking the August MCAT isn't ideal, but you're better off now taking it in August than applicants were from this last cycle when they didn't get scores until October. If you're prepared, you could apply now and take the MCAT in August.

Taking a year off sounds like a fine idea too, though. You'll have some extra time to study for the MCAT, you'll be able to be complete earlier (which means earlier secondaries, interviews, possible acceptances). You could spend the year doing research, or volunteering, or even just getting a job. Taking a year off between undergrad and medical school doesn't even make you non-trad. :)

Good luck!