Here's my story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gradM.S.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you with low GPAs-
Undergrad I went to a rather competitive california university. I did absolutely horrible. I mean my GPA was around a C+ average. I wasn't stupid I just got carried away in the social aspects of school rather than the academics. I decided to go to grad school to raise my GPA. I was a postbacc my first year and then I matriculated into the masters program in biology. I took fairly difficult courses and managed to graduate with a 3.7 GPA this past summer (and that includes doing a research project and defense). My cumulative GPA was still barely below a 3.0. I took my DATS last year and had a academic average of 20, science 20, reading 20, analytical 17, math 17. I applied late last year but nothing positive came out of that. I strenghtened my credentials by taking more classes and I reapplied early this year. I was fortunate to get several interviews which have now resulted in acceptances. Long story short if I can do it so can you! Just be persistent and don't let other peoples stats discourage you. They mean absolutely nothing when it comes down to the overall presence of an applicant. And for those of you with low GPAs it really is to your favor to get into a masters program in biology, which is research oriented. From my interviews I found out that schools really look favorably at that. And one more thing - when applying do it wisely. Look at schools that look at the overall trend in an applicants GPA and not just the straight out numbers. Just my two cents for anybody that may care. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

what a nice story with a happy ending!!!

congratulation and thanks for sharing your story....
i guess if you REALLy want to be a dentist theres no reason why you can't...

now...where's my acceptance letters?!!! :D

grad, how long did it take for you to get your masters in biology? I am just curious because I may have to take this road someday before I apply to dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beautifuly story, hard work always gets paid off. Congrats. I hope you get your first choice because you deserve it.
T

Congratulations, GradMS.......you earned it!!

I guess I would also like to add my story to give hope to others who currently have low gpas and wish to attain their dream of becoming a dentist.

If you look at the Stats page, I had an extremely low undergrad gpa and had given up on pursuing dental school. Even though I was doing well in the biotech field, every now and then I would think about dentistry. Then about 14 months ago, I decided to give it my best shot despite all odds......that way I would always know that at least I tried. So, I resigned from my job, went back to school as a post-bacc and on the advise of admissions directors at a couple of dental schools, started to take heavy upper division/graduate level science courses per quarter. And I did well. At the same time, I volunteered at a dental clinic and participated in a research project for one of the chemistry professors. I studied for the DAT and got decent scores (19A20P). I sent in my AADSAS Dec 2001 with only 1 quarter of good post-bacc grades under my belt, and as expected, I did not get in anywhere. This year I sent in my application in July 2002 with 4 quarters of good post-bacc grades and my current status of being in a formal master's program. I tell you I have held my breath since July!!

Yesterday, my resolve to go after my dream, paid off. I received acceptance letters to NYU and BU!! I cried when I opened up the mail because mine was a 'no hope' situation per the Dean of Creighton who had suggested I look at alternate careers. UOP never really gave me any concrete hope. I will always be thankful to one of my interviewers at UNLV who told me 'we all know things happen in life, but the fact that you have done so well in the post-bacc, proves your abilities and we will consider that'. I am so glad I will be going to a school that does not forever deem a person unfit because of a mistake, but believes in second chances!

My advice to folks out there....if I made it, ANYBODY can. You just have to resolve to try your best and then start working hard at it. Also, those considering post-bacc programs, I think it's beneficial to find a school that is on quarter system, because then you can show more TERMS of good grades in one year. Also, if you don't have formal research experience, talk to the bio or chem depts at your school; they love to get volunteer research assistants for their projects.

A year ago, I was asking for advice on SDN. I am very grateful to all the folks who told me to hang in there. Thank you!

congrats gradms! :clap: